All Things 40 Yard Dash Times

John Galt

Reaction score
Here it is Gopher fans! Your chance to discuss the nuances of 40 yard dash times. All the great analysis can now be found here in a single thread.

And please keep it here so the rest of us who could care less don't have to spend time sifting through it in other threads.

Here it is Gopher fans! Your chance to discuss the nuances of 40 yard dash times. All the great analysis can now be found here in a single thread.

And please keep it here so the rest of us who could care less don't have to spend time sifting through it in other threads.

ESPN search of 2018 recruits who can run a 4.5 or better - 40. 11 of 19 are in the ESPN top 300 and most have decent offers. Not many (3) have signed with B1G teams. Something interesting is speed doesn't necessarily equate to more stars or higher grades, but it doesn't hurt. I believe Jalen Myrick has been our fastest player to date.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/databaseresults?firstname=&lastname=&class=2018&starsfilter=GT&stars=0&ratingfilter=GT&rating=&positionrank=&sportid=4294967117&collegeid=&conference=&visitmonth=&visityear=&statuscommit=Commitments&statusuncommit=Uncommited&honor=&position=&region=&state=&height=&weight=&fortyyrddash=4.5&benchpressweight=&twentyyrdshuttle=&verticaljump=&sparqrating=&c360rating=

As part of the Spring game I propose we have an area where Gopherholers can go and have their own 40 times measured (electronically of course) and then you can post your "official" 40 time under you login name on your posts.

Could or couldn’t care less?

I don't have any input on 40-times in this (or other) thread, but I want to take this opportunity to acknowledge the suffering you have dealt with in sifting through those other threads. Your sacrifice should not go unnoticed or without being celebrated. Multiple times you have managed to spend that necessary time filtering through 40-time talk in other threads just to give us input on other items. Hats off to you JG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We need a composite 40 to know if we're any good. I would like to see 247 expand their statistics data sets to include the above 247 composite 40, a 247 composite team 40, and a girl (or boy) friend attractiveness quotient; the 247 composite confidence. Then, these could all be further amalgamated to give us a true measure of the most talented, fast, and confident team in the nation.

Who cares about 40 yard dash times. Thielen of the Vikings doesn't have great speed. He catches a lot of footballs where others who have more speed can't handle the ball or have no separation. What good is it to recruit a player who has great speed but can't catch the ball? Way too much emphasis on this.

As part of the Spring game I propose we have an area where Gopherholers can go and have their own 40 times measured (electronically of course) and then you can post your "official" 40 time under you login name on your posts.

Two words: pulled hamstring.

Go Gophers!!

Who cares about 40 yard dash times. Thielen of the Vikings doesn't have great speed. He catches a lot of footballs where others who have more speed can't handle the ball or have no separation. What good is it to recruit a player who has great speed but can't catch the ball? Way too much emphasis on this.

I don't necessarily disagree with your take...but everything I've head, read, and seen is that Thielen has a legit 4.4-4.5 40 which is plenty fast enough.

Why would you say he "doesn't have great speed"? Because he's white? He is rarely caught from behind in open field and he himself says he ran a 4.45 at the rookie combine. https://www.theplayerstribune.com/adam-thielen-vikings/.

Let me guess, Thielen reminds you of Jordy Nelson, Ed McCafrey, Wes Welker and a bit like Steve Largent.

I'm just saying I don't get hung up on times unless it is very slow whatever that means. I would also want someone with toughness (not afraid to be surrounded by your opponents when catching the ball), can catch the ball, team player, well liked by teammates, hard worker etc. While we joke about hand timed etc., to me personally who cares.

I run a solid 4.4 20.

Why would you say he "doesn't have great speed"? Because he's white? He is rarely caught from behind in open field and he himself says he ran a 4.45 at the rookie combine. https://www.theplayerstribune.com/adam-thielen-vikings/.

Let me guess, Thielen reminds you of Jordy Nelson, Ed McCafrey, Wes Welker and a bit like Steve Largent.

I went and read the link. It is one of the great feel good stories I've read in a while. Thanks for the link, Stan!

I'm all in for this!! But, win or lose I need a trophy, so somebody should find a sponsor. Oh, and forty yards is a long dang way too...maybe we could compromise to 40 or 60 feet? Btw I might need some time to train...please no last minute poor planning, here. I'm eating pastry as I type...not just cutting that out to live healthy but I might for a trophy.

I don't have any input on 40-times in this (or other) thread, but I want to take this opportunity to acknowledge the suffering you have dealt with in sifting through those other threads. Your sacrifice should not go unnoticed or without being celebrated. Multiple times you have managed to spend that necessary time filtering through 40-time talk in other threads just to give us input on other items. Hats off to you JG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about acknowledging all the suffering of those who are subjected to the crusade of the brave and loyal Sir Spoofin?

40-yard dash times and how they directly or indirectly relate to 9 wins. Discuss.

the SB Nation article was spot-on. Most HS 40 times are bogus. Falls in the same category as HS heights and weights.

when my brother was a HS Senior, every starter on their basketball team got 2" taller just in time for the District tournament, when programs had to be printed. they looked good on the roster. Didn't help them win the tournament - ran into a quicker team with a good half-court trap press.

I've seen stories out of the NFL Combine - where players are measured and weighed pretty accurately - that shows a lot of players have inflated program heights or weights.

you know how I know if a guy is fast? If he's running down the field, and other guys can't catch him, he's fast. I don't need to know his 40 time. My eyes tell me what I need to know. And - FWIW, there is 'track' speed, and then there is 'functional' speed. A guy may be able to run a great 40 in shorts and a t-shirt, but put him on a field, in pads, carrying a ball, and does he still look as fast?

A guy may be able to run a great 40 in shorts and a t-shirt, but put him on a field, in pads, carrying a ball, and does he still look as fast?

That's the true key to this whole silliness.

It really doesn't matter what measurements are. If you're faster than everyone else, that day, on the field, that's what matters.

40 times are meaningless. I can do the 40 in under 2 seconds, electronically timed. But they won't let me use my car on the football field and without it my times slow way down.

40 times are meaningless. I can do the 40 in under 2 seconds, electronically timed. But they won't let me use my car on the football field and without it my times slow way down.
My 40 time is 26.8 seconds in the 40 yard duck walk.... or is it the goose walk.... can't remember if it was hand timed or not either.

Thielen is a scrappy, gritty, lunch-pail guy who comes to work. And he has a high motor with a great football IQ.

Thielen is a scrappy, gritty, lunch-pail guy who comes to work. And he has a high motor with a great football IQ.
Grinder with a lot of heart.

Top Bottom