Jerry Kill Interview on Sports Huddle Christmas Eve

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Here is a summary of the interview with Jerry Kill on the Sports Huddle.

Sid- what a great job you did at U of MN. a bad break MN got when you got sick. we'll always value your friendship. How tough a decision was it to not coach any more?
JK: well, it's tough. first of all, Merry Christmas. I miss you guys a ton. I wanted to try one more time - do it from an assistant coaching situation, thought it might be easier. but you're still putting the same amount of time in, same hours. don't have any regrets. had a lot of fun with the kids. a different experience, being on the East Coach. but at the end of the day, I probably should have stayed at K-State, because I can do that. I can oversee things. I can go home earlier, just different being in an administrative role or working with football only. in retrospect, I should have stayed with that. But, I would have never known if I could do it (coaching).

Max: you needed to try it one more time and get it out of your system.
JK: Rebecca had talked to me about that. you gotta know if you can do it or not. I made it through the season I still think if I hadn't got rolled up on the boundary and hit the back of my head, I think that triggered it. I'd been all right. I finished through. Not many people - I'm so lucky - starting in HS and worked their way through, and finished your career where they started college FB. If you're going to go out, go out in style. historical part of Rutgers University. Rebecca and I still love MN - we love the people in it. they've been so good to us. heard from a lot of people over the last few days. I miss you guys. had a tremendous time at MN.

Mona: any idea what you're going to do next?
JK: it's a situation - I have some opportunities to work in the FB world again and just be off the field like I did at K-State. I have 2 or 3 really good opportunities to do that. I have a new grandbaby- our first a little girl. Everyone in our family lives in southern Illinois. I'll take a look at going back to University here. I've got some options. still being involved in athletics, but some things a little different. Some people tell me, just retire and be done with it. but with insurance and things of that nature, you really can't do that. I can't just set on the beach all my life. that's not who I am. I feel I have a lot to give. I was seizure-free for two years. I worked at K-State, and I still worked long hours. worked from 8:00 to 8:00, but that's different than working 16 hours a day, being on the road recruiting. and with the early signing day now, all those kind of things, you don't get a break. And my body, it just won't hold up. it is what it is. but no regrets. this grandbaby - I was about as down in the dumps as you can get when I retired, and then I seen that grandbaby, that little girl, and all of a sudden, my life went Holy Cow, it was like winning the Super Bowl. she came at the right time.

Sid: how about Claeys? Is he going to get a coaching job?
JK: I can't say a whole lot right now. He's got a couple of opportunities he's looking at right now; I think he'll know in the next couple of weeks. what those situations are going to be. he's doing much better. it's a struggle - it's part of this profession, and it's getting tougher and tougher. keeping your job anywhere. so it was a blow. we all are prideful. he struggled. we've been in touch about every other day the last month. Rob Reeves - Coach Anderson might have taken a job. everyone else settling, going to bowl games, having some success. even some of the people Tracy hired - one of them getting ready to play for an opportunity to be in the national championship game. a tough profession. Watched the Vikings the other day - still into that MN thing. What a job coach Zimmer has done. I imagine MN is feeling pretty good right now.

Max: Merry Christmas. We miss you.

Sid: I love you. I still wish you could wind up with something here. Might be a long shot, but I think it's possible.

JK: we love you. Sid, your girlfriend still talks about you. She's seen some pictures on the internet, she's jealous right now.

A gig for the Salukis might be perfect for Jerry.

That was so nice! Kill won't end up at Minnesota in any capacity, but he will find a great fit for himself. I really hope Claeys lands on his feet as well, it will help him move on.

That was so nice! Kill won't end up at Minnesota in any capacity, but he will find a great fit for himself. I really hope Claeys lands on his feet as well, it will help him move on.

I hope he doesn’t. Time for us to move on..

Thanks Son! You did something that few people would have done (people like Bleed and 65). Appreciate it very much!

I hope he doesn’t. Time for us to move on..

If you're moving on from Claeys, wouldn't you just be indifferent to his future career success, rather than actively hoping for him to fail?

Was encouraged to hear him say he should have stayed at K-State, hopefully that means he has finally accepted that coaching just isn't in the cards for him anymore. Go find a good admin situation, be around the game, but avoid the crazy long hours and high levels of stress.

Was encouraged to hear him say he should have stayed at K-State, hopefully that means he has finally accepted that coaching just isn't in the cards for him anymore. Go find a good admin situation, be around the game, but avoid the crazy long hours and high levels of stress.

Agree, and Kill would be great in a position like that if he can keep his hands off the every day operations of college football.

Claeys also deserves another shot to be a defensive coordinator. Hopefully he lands somewhere soon.

If you're moving on from Claeys, wouldn't you just be indifferent to his future career success, rather than actively hoping for him to fail?

Quoted the wrong thing. Meant to quote that Kill wouldn’t end up back in MN without a miracle.

A gig for the Salukis might be perfect for Jerry.

Yes.

He seems to have planted some deep family roots in the southern Illinois area. Was head coach there for several years, before getting a chance at N Illinois and then the Gophers. You obviously have to take those next steps ... but seems he could've coached at S Illinois for the rest of his life if he had wanted to stay.

Don't think he can take coaching, physically, at the FCS level, but maybe working somewhere in the athletic dept with the football program.

I still hope in a couple years the U and JK can come together and have a ceremony where they dedicate a plaque to be displayed at TCF Bank Stadium thanking him for all the things he did while he was here: Success in the classroom, success on the field, raising money and awareness for Epilepsy and Cancer Research, etc. Have the future governor declare it Jerry Kill day in Minnesota. I think that'd be great.

If they can legitimately find a position that he could do and add value but not distract from the mission, I'd have no problem hiring him. I just don't know what that would be. I don't know what he actually did at K State either, so I can't really say if that'd be value added or not.

Well in another thread like this with an interview, he said that one of his main jobs at K State was as the go-between for Bill Synder and John Currie, who did not get along. Yes, the same guy that Tennessee just fired for the ridiculous coaching search this year.

I think that Glen Mason and Jerry Kill should both be invited back and recognized for helping push for the stadium and new facilities. It's showed that they were not competing with the same ammunition as other schools. Fleck should do it in "connecting" people, the present and past.

Top Bottom