Q&A: Sophomore PG Star Jalen Suggs: "I love what Pitino is doing with the program."

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Sophomore PG Star Jalen Suggs: "I love what Pitino is doing with the program."

By Chris Monter

http://main.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/869697?referrer_id=

Jalen Suggs, a 6-foot-3, 185-pound sophomore guard from Minneapolis (MN) Minnehaha Academy, is one of the top guards in the Midwest in the Class of 2020 and is considered the number one prospect from Minnesota in the class.

Gopher Hole recently caught up with Suggs to talk about the latest on playing Apple Valley on ESPNU, his recruitment and sophomore season.

Gopher Hole: Two tough games to start the season. Do you like playing these tough games and how much do you think that is going to help you guys as the season progresses?

Jalen Suggs: Yes, of course. I love playing these tough games. They are meant to get us ready for March, which is our ultimate goal. We would love to go undefeated and win every single one of these games through the regular season, but if we don’t win the state championship, we really aren’t satisfied with our season, so I love these games. They really are truly helping us improve and become a better team.

Gopher Hole: You had a big game on a televised game on ESPNU. What was that atmosphere like?

Jalen Suggs: It was amazing. Our fans were loud. Their fans were loud. It was just a great atmosphere to play basketball in and as a player, you can’t wish for more than that.

Gopher Hole: Have you heard from a lot of people, who aren’t even from Minnesota, who saw you play?

Jalen Suggs: Oh, yes. Of course. I have family from all over, texting me, telling me good game, that they love watching me play and it was just a great game and that was really what both schools wanted was to put on a great game and show that Minnesota has talent and that we are also a basketball state.

Gopher Hole: Your name has been out there for a few years already, but do you see teams defending you a little bit differently even from last year now that everyone knows the type of player that you are? Are you seeing more double-teams and even triple-teams?

Jalen Suggs: Yes, definitely. Everyone is starting to pack the lane a lot more in hopes to trying to contain me, which is really no problem for me, because we have great shooters. Terry Lockett can really knock down shoots. Chet Holmgren. Prince (Aligbe), the eighth grader, so we have got really great role players and I think that as more and more teams try to pack the lane and stop me and double me, it is opening up better looks for them.

Gopher Hole: You had a couple of great passes inside. Is that something that you are taking more pride in because teams are going to double and even triple team you and you can hit the cutter for an easy bucket?

Jalen Suggs: Yes, definitely. I have always been a team-first guy, so whenever I can find an open man, I am going to try to get him the ball and that happened today. Kaden Johnson did a great job cutting to the open spot. I am going to find him and he finished a couple of times.

Gopher Hole: I think I saw on the Internet that you are up to 13 offers. Is that even right or do you even still keep track anymore?

Jalen Suggs: No. I don’t really keep track. I just know that I am blessed and thankful for each and every one I get and I am always working to always get better.

Gopher Hole: Did you get a chance to go to many college football games this fall to check out some schools?

Jalen Suggs: Yes. I want to a couple. I think that I went to three. Iowa. I went to Iowa State. Those were both great atmospheres. Fans really showed up and really showed a lot of support for their schools. Those visits to schools are always fun and a good time.

Gopher Hole: You were also at a Minnesota game recently for the Miami game with a lot of the other kids that they are recruiting. What was that atmosphere like?

Jalen Suggs: Oh, I love it. The Barn was really loud that night. All the fans showed up and showed support. Although, Minnesota didn’t come out with the win, I think that the crowd was really into the game and it was a lot of fun.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, Minnesota had a disappointing season two years ago, going 8-23, but have really turned things around. They have three kids, Minnesota kids, in Daniel Oturu, Jarvis Omersa and Gabe Kalscheur coming in next year. Does that change your perception a little bit more about Minnesota?

Jalen Suggs: Definitely. I love what Pitino is doing with the program. They are definitely on the rise. Like I said, they are 11th in the country, I think it was, coming into the season, so he is doing a great job with the team. They are getting great recruiting classes, so the future is really bright for the Gophers

Gopher Hole: Obviously, you have great opportunities wherever you go, but what would it mean to maybe play for the homestsate school?

Jalen Suggs: You know, it would be really cool to put on for the city. To be able to have all my family here to watch games, because if I go out-of-state, not everyone can make it. Plane tickets cost a lot. It would mean a lot to play in front of my family.

Gopher Hole: You won the state title last year. What would it mean, I know this Minneapolis North (two-time defending Class A champs) has moved to Class AA, so you are going to have a little more competition, to win a second straight title?

Jalen Suggs: It would mean a lot. This is what we have all dreamed about. We all played together as we were young. AAU national championships were all cool, but we couldn’t wait to get to high school and start playing for state championships and we were going to them every year as kids and you understand “Wow, how cool is this?” A whole state is coming out to watch basketball games, so it would be really cool and just be another step for our journey.

Gopher Hole: You are wearing the USA Basketball shirt. Have you talked to anyone about possibly doing something this summer?

Jalen Suggs: I’ll be back in June for the U17 tryouts to go back to Argentina with Coach Show (Don Showalter), Coach (Scott) Fitch and Coach (Stan) Waterman, so I am just preparing and getting everything ready after the high school season and AAU, I’m going to go back down there and hopefully, come back with the gold, if I make the team.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, it is great to represent your hometown when you play for Minnehaha, but what does it mean to represent your country?

Jalen Suggs: It’s amazing. Once they called my name that I made the team, I was just filled with joy. The first persons that I texted was my mom and dad. Called up family. Told them that I made it. I was just really proud of myself. It is also humbling. I have got to get back in the gym. Stay getting better because everyone is coming back next year to compete for those spots and I’ve got to make my claim to get on the team again.

Gopher Hole: We had talked about this before. You had another great year in football this season. Iowa State has offered you for football as well as basketball. Are you going to keep playing both sports throughout your high school career?

Jalen Suggs: For now, I’ll be playing both sports, until I decide that it is time to give one up, I’ll be playing both

Gopher Hole: Would you even think about playing football or is just basketball for you? I know that you are good enough to play both.

Jalen Suggs: Like I said, it just comes down to a decision, talking to coaches, talking to my dad. Just seeing what is best for me and my future.

Gopher Hole: You have been to a lot of college games. What will it mean to you when you walk on your home court for your first college game?

Jalen Suggs: It will mean a lot. Like I said, I have had a lot of dreams since I have been a kid. Going from AAU national championships, high state championships and college NCAA championships and obviously to the NBA, so I am just trying to work my way up. Grind and stay getting better, so I can fulfill my dreams.

Would love to get this kid. He's such a game changer, but I fear we have Tyus/Tre Jones recruitment all over again.

Top Bottom