Former Mankato West QB makes his way back to Minnesota as preferred walk-on

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Mankato Free Press:

When Zack Annexstad was a young football player, he attended camps at the University of Minnesota, hoping one day to wear the maroon and gold.

It took a couple of years in Florida, concentrating on football at a private school, but on Wednesday, Annexstad took a big step toward realizing his dream, signing a national letter of intent to accept a preferred walk-on offer from the Gophers. He rejoins his brother, who was a redshirt receiver with the Gophers last season.

“It’s exciting to be part of the Gophers program,” said Zack, who was flying back to Minnesota on Thursday and will enroll at Minnesota on Jan. 8 so he can participate in spring practice. “It took a lot of effort, and my family has had to make sacrifices. I’m ready to get back there and represent the state of Minnesota.”

Annexstad was a sophomore quarterback at Mankato West in 2015 and started the first couple of games. But he suffered a sprained ankle early in the season and never regained the starting job as Rob Meidl led the Scarlets to the state semifinals.

He met with contacts from IMG Academy through social media, and he and his brother Brock visited the campus at Bradenton, Florida. The football-centric school was just what they were looking for as they pursued a dream of playing college football.

“It was a great opportunity for my brother and I,” Zack said. “You can make a lot of connections there.”

So for the past two years, Zack has competed and studied at IMG, all with the goal of gaining a college scholarship. The typical day starts at 6:30 a.m., with breakfast at 7. There were football meetings for 90 minutes, followed by two hours of practice. After lunch, he attended classes until 5:30 p.m., then there was rehab, studying or relaxation until it was time to fall asleep.

http://www.southernminn.com/article_fbafa251-4446-5f93-a818-5ece2182441b.html

Go Gophers!!

When I first read the headline I was trying to figure out how Nelson received additional eligibility...HA

Zack is the new Touchdown Jesus.

Will be interesting to see how far ahead Tanner Morgan is in spring practice and if he stays ahead. I expect to see Zach playing some QB for us. Even as a VV backup he will see the field.

And will get crucified on Gopherhole.

Only if he gets the starting job. If he's a backup he will be elevated to sainthood and assumed to have NFL potential if the coaches could just realize it.

wouldn't that be a kick to the head

I do feel bad for Kolstad for this kick he received. Nelson can do whatever he wants while Kolstad has struggled in his life in the aftermath to do simple things. If Nelson hadn't been so paranoid none of this would have happened in the first place.

Top Bottom