How did Hurt Look last night?

Otis

Reaction score
I was happy to see Hurt get a start and shoot the ball 7 times making 3 with a three pointer and a dunk! 10 points is always good from a Sophomore who was seldom used as a freshman and should have been redshirted!

My question is, did he look good? A little confidence in his shot or was he just being set up well?

I really think we need to find some bench scoring before the B1G starts back up and am hoping Mr. Hurt is ready to do so!

He looked good. Had a really nice dunk in transition, got fouled going for another big dunk, made 3/4 free throws and knocked down a corner 3. Still passed up a few wide open looks but seemed to be excited to be on the court and less timid. Solid defensive effort and smart plays as usual.

His teammates were really encouraging him to shoot open shots and got very excited on the big dunk.

It was the best game of his collegiate career. I hope he can build on it.

You can tell the Gopher fans really want him to succeed. The kid works very hard and no doubt is improving. If he can consistently contribute off the bench, it will be a huge help this season.

Go Gophers!!

I thought he did a great job, incredible effort! He knows where he should be on the court and is a great cutter, making himself available near the basket. He did pass up 4-5 open looks, could have easily scored 6-7 more points. Hopefully this game will give him more confidence in the future.

I thought he did a great job, incredible effort! He knows where he should be on the court and is a great cutter, making himself available near the basket. He did pass up 4-5 open looks, could have easily scored 6-7 more points. Hopefully this game will give him more confidence in the future.

While I don't want him jacking shots, too often he instantly passes once touches the ball, am hoping in time he's a bit more assertive. and if you're going to be 3 pt shooter, take them

(provided you can make ~35% or more)

I was happy to see Hurt get a start and shoot the ball 7 times making 3 with a three pointer and a dunk! 10 points is always good from a Sophomore who was seldom used as a freshman and should have been redshirted!

My question is, did he look good? A little confidence in his shot or was he just being set up well?

I really think we need to find some bench scoring before the B1G starts back up and am hoping Mr. Hurt is ready to do so!

I'm really glad Hurt did well because we certainly need him being productive. But I have to disagree about the redshirt part. Is he good enough that the Gophers would want to keep him on scholarship for five years?

He was decent hopefully he can build on it. He just can't finish in traffic or play above the rim. He is not super explosive. Hurt passed up a few wide open 3's.

I'm really glad Hurt did well because we certainly need him being productive. But I have to disagree about the redshirt part. Is he good enough that the Gophers would want to keep him on scholarship for five years?

Beat me to it. Redshirting is almost always a bad idea unless it's a post player who needs to add bulk and strength. And even then, it's only a good idea because post players are so hard to acquire. Most players are not good enough to take up a scholarship for five years when you only have 13 spots.

I don’t recall specifically, but I think most of those open looks he passed on were from the 3 and early in the shot clock. If Mason and Murph were on the court and he attempted any of those shots, any or all could have been considered bad decisions. I don’t think that Pitino is a red light green light guy, but I don’t get the sense that Pitino wants hurt out there taking 13 shots a game if they come without giving Murph and Mason good touches first. Anyone else take note of when his “passes” came and if the possession ended in points?

All that said, he needs to keep getting shots up to find his game speed. Positive night last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is not what you meant, but since this was my first trip to the Barn this season I can say he "looks" like he's bulked up. Same with Coffey.

He was decent hopefully he can build on it. He just can't finish in traffic or play above the rim. He is not super explosive. Hurt passed up a few wide open 3's.

He does have trouble finishing in traffic under the basket but he gets to the open spot better than anyone on the team, for that reason I feel that as he gains confidence he is going to be that much more valuable.

If he could develop a ball fake and then pull the trigger on threes, he would get some even more wide open looks. They do not respect his shooting, because he never shoots. He passed up at least 2 WIDE OPEN looks. I don't care if the shot clock is at 29.9, those need to be taken.

He works very hard on defense, but is limited athletically, so needs to get smarter-and-smarter, to be a serviceable defender against elite athletes. Hard work is good enough for ORU though.

He definitely is much more aggressive to the hoop, which I honestly didn't expect. Now shoot the 3 a bit more.

Speaking of great post.. If he could develope a shot fake??? C'mon mane.
I didn't say "shot fake." I have seen Mason use a ball-fake-and-shoot successfully. Coffey is pretty good at it too. I have never seen Hurt even try to see if it would work to get him a good look. It's one thing to make a ball fake, it's a whole 'nother thing to do a ball fake, have a guy go for it, get your eyes back on the basket and then can the open 3. Bob Knight's over-the-top praise notwithstanding, Joe King was probably the best at it, in recent memory. And I wouldn't call him a speed demon.

Joey King 2.0 but slightly better defender
Yep. I also think Mike runs the floor better and is a little more athletic - as demonstrated against ORU. He should end up being a better rebounder than Joe. Let's hope so anyway. (And I was a big Joe King guy, so not ripping on him.) Neither is exceptionally quick, so getting themselves open requires something a little different.

Hurt has been a pleasant surprise the last 2 games. He's really stepped up with Mcbrayer out. Hope he keeps it up!

I would say give Dupree the bulk of the minutes obviously, but maybe they should keep Hurt in the starting five. Pre was great off the bench last year as a scoring threat and could still play 25-30 minutes a game. Hurt doesn't screw up, makes the routine play routinely and could handle 10-15 minutes a game.

I would say give Dupree the bulk of the minutes obviously, but maybe they should keep Hurt in the starting five. Pre was great off the bench last year as a scoring threat and could still play 25-30 minutes a game. Hurt doesn't screw up, makes the routine play routinely and could handle 10-15 minutes a game.
No
A healthy Dupree is a big notch above Hurt. That's not to say Hurt hasn't improved. Hurt is playing better, but he's not close to where Dupree is.
We need to remember the teams we have played these past two games. Those teams are the level at which Hurt would thrive, but that isn't B1G level. We can get by with Hurt for 5 minute spurts, but he isn't a starter and may never be a starter. He is a role player who is finding his niche.

My brother saw Hurt play quite a bit in HS. He said Hurt is -- or was a solid shooter. In fact, he said he thought Hurt was a better pure shooter than Coffey in HS. Obviously, there is a difference in athletic ability. But, I hope that Hurt gets a chance to demonstrate what he's capable of doing at this level.

My brother saw Hurt play quite a bit in HS. He said Hurt is -- or was a solid shooter. In fact, he said he thought Hurt was a better pure shooter than Coffey in HS. Obviously, there is a difference in athletic ability. But, I hope that Hurt gets a chance to demonstrate what he's capable of doing at this level.
Hurt is slow in getting his shot off. (He has a strange release.) He'd benefit from an offense that set him up to float to a spot, catch the pass and shoot. He'll never create his own shot, but if he has the time to catch and shoot he should be able to knock a few shots down. At least that's my opinion. I may be terribly wrong.

I thought this as well. We have so many scorers and playmakers in the starting lineup and none that are consistent on the bench. He thrived in that role last year. He know's he's unequivocally a better player than Hurt so I really don't think his ego would be hurt at all. He would be featured more offensively in the second unit and it would cut down on Washington jacking up shots.

No
A healthy Dupree is a big notch above Hurt. That's not to say Hurt hasn't improved. Hurt is playing better, but he's not close to where Dupree is.
We need to remember the teams we have played these past two games. Those teams are the level at which Hurt would thrive, but that isn't B1G level. We can get by with Hurt for 5 minute spurts, but he isn't a starter and may never be a starter. He is a role player who is finding his niche.

Important to remember. We all hail him now but the real test is coming soon. I have faith in him though.

Top Bottom