STrib: For Gophers football fans, the vision should be 2020 (and beyond)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rand Ball:

At times like this, it’s easy to get swept up in the momentum. It’s just as important, then, to hit the pause button around signing day to remember that winning the recruiting battles leads to eventual success — not immediate success — on the field.

If you’re a Gophers football fan, your vision should be 2020 and beyond.

That’s the season when these recruits — the first group Fleck was able to spend an entire cycle pursuing at Minnesota — will be in their third year in the program. Those who stick and devleop will be redshirt sophomores or true juniors, depending on quickly they earn their way onto the field.

That would be Fleck’s fourth season, which seems to be a magic number if we look at a couple of meaningful (if imperfect) parallels.

Fleck’s Gophers were 5-7 last season. They might have been able to squeeze another win and bowl game appearance out of their talent and schedule, but ultimately the program would have been in the same spot as it is now.

Fleck’s Year 2 Gophers — and their fans — should expect more competent QB play if junior college transfer Vic Viramontes is as good as his numbers suggest. Next year’s schedule is friendly enough that a spot in a bowl game is a reasonable expectation as long as the QB play is upgraded.

We might say the same thing about 2019, Year 3, as well. The first five Big Ten games that year — at Purdue, vs. Illinois, vs. Nebraska, at Rutgers, vs. Maryland — are potentially cushy enough for Minnesota to arrive a year early, at least in the standings.

But 2020, Year 4, is where sights should be set in terms of real and meaningful expectations. The schedule is less forgiving, but by then it shouldn’t matter. If Fleck has done the job he wants to do, the Gophers — led by this year’s incoming class and other classes that follow — should be competitive against pretty much every opponent.

If we’re talking in December 2020 not just about a meaningful recruiting class but a meaningful bowl game, you will likely be able to trace its origins back to Wednesday. Now it’s just a matter of watching and waiting.

http://www.startribune.com/for-gophers-football-fans-the-vision-should-be-2020-and-beyond/465716803/

Go Gophers!!

We should not have to wait that to compete. Kill had us within a halftime of qualifying for the Big Ten championship game. No way have we taken that big of a step back.

MD "cushy".
Does he not understand Talent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We should not have to wait that to compete. Kill had us within a halftime of qualifying for the Big Ten championship game. No way have we taken that big of a step back.

Guess what year Jerry was in when he made that run? His fourth year. His first year he inherited a 6-7 team and then finished his year year down at 3-9. Fleck lost the same amount of wins his first year -- three.

He still lost that game in 2014, regardless. So a moot point is a moot point.

Guess what year Jerry was in when he made that run? His fourth year. His first year he inherited a 6-7 team and then finished his year year down at 3-9. Fleck lost the same amount of wins his first year -- three.

He still lost that game, regardless. So a moot point is a moot point.

Huh? 2010 Gophs were 3-9.

2020 is a tough sell.... might be true... but probabbly shouldn't try to sell that to fans...

If 2020 is a Big 10 West championship, I will quickly forget any disappointments in 2018 and 2019.

2020 is a tough sell.... might be true... but probabbly shouldn't try to sell that to fans...

I sure it won't be long until some in here twist this to be say that this is what Fleck is trying to sell to the fans. They key now is to start showing signs of growth each year, the big success is probably a few years off but as Rand laid out there should be an upward trajectory.

I think it's fair to expect better in 2018 and 2019, and 2020 to be when we're legit B1GW contenders

I expect 7-9 wins next season. This team will have talent and schedule to do it. By 2020 he better mean competing for B1G title.

I sure it won't be long until some in here twist this to be say that this is what Fleck is trying to sell to the fans. They key now is to start showing signs of growth each year, the big success is probably a few years off but as Rand laid out there should be an upward trajectory.

I’m pretty sure Fleck has said pretty much exactly that (fixed by 2019 and comin’ By 2020). Based on the 2017 season I view it as a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy and I think 2018 may be very tough and have set my expectations to align with that. When he gets his guys in here it will be gut check time by 2020. If he can reel in top 30-40ish type classes going forward we should be a solid to very good team by 2020 particularly if he can coach ‘em up. Much will depend on someone panning out at QB. No pressure on VV.

Here are the current schedules over the next 3 seasons. 2020 looks to be the most challenging in terms of B1G opponents

1. New Mexico St
2. Fresno St
3. Miami (OH)
4. @Maryland
5. Iowa
6. @Ohio State
7. @Nebraska
8. Indiana
9. @Illinois
10. Purdue
11. Northwestern
12. @Wisconsin

1. South Dakota St
2. @Fresno St
3. Georgia Southern
4. @Purdue
5. Illinois
6. Nebraska
7. @Rutgers
8. Maryland
9. Penn State
10. @Iowa
11. @Northwestern
12. Wisconsin

1. TBD
2. Miami (OH)
3. Iowa
4. BYU
5. @Maryland
6. @Wisconsin
7. Michigan
8. @Illinois
9. @Michigan St
10. Purdue
11. Northwestern
12. @Nebraska

C'mon, we've waited 51 years, what's another one or two more?

We should schedule BAMA for that 2020 TBD non-conference game so that we can beat them again.

Go Gophers!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Top Bottom