Gophers receive commitments from Cole Kramer and Jason Williamson

Count me among those who think Annexstad is the better prospect vs Kramer. It’s hard to glean much from his highlight videos. He averaged 8 (mostly play action) efficient passes a game on a dominant running team, passing to wide open receivers. If some of you though DC had a mediocre arm, well it’s like Bret Favre vs Kramer. I don’t think arm strength is the highest priority, but it sure helps.

I was/am a huge fan of Kellen Moore and he was even smaller than Kramer with a bit of a noodle but he made all the right decisions. A fantastic college QB. So it’s hard to just say Kramer is sort of a legacy “GWB to Yale” sort of situation and he’ll never be great (and I’m not saying that) but he’ll have an uphill climb to play vs the likes of more physically talented players in VV, Bachmaier, or Annexstad IMO.

Williamson looks like a good athlete. Hard to say against that competition. But he has the raw tools to play. Hard to say what position he ultimately ends up at

They averaged more points in the state tournament then they did in conference play. No one came within 20 points of Owatonna all season except Northfield. What competition did you want them play against? They beat Elk River 63-26 in the championship, Brainard 56-28 in the semi's and Mahtomedi 59-34 in the quarters. Another Big 9 school (Mankato West) went through the section with Chan, Chaska and Waconia.....Winona lost 26-22 in the semi's to the AAAA champ Holy Angels and were undefeated before that game. The Big 9 had four teams with 5 total losses including the playoffs this year.

They averaged more points in the state tournament then they did in conference play. No one came within 20 points of Owatonna all season except Northfield. What competition did you want them play against? They beat Elk River 63-26 in the championship, Brainard 56-28 in the semi's and Mahtomedi 59-34 in the quarters. Another Big 9 school (Mankato West) went through the section with Chan, Chaska and Waconia.....Winona lost 26-22 in the semi's to the AAAA champ Holy Angels and were undefeated before that game. The Big 9 had four teams with 5 total losses including the playoffs this year.

They are as a team head and shoulders better than their level. I’m not saying it’s his fault or the teams fault. But it’s the same argument you’d make against a kid playing Class A. You don’t know because it’s not against the states top teams with the best team full of athletes, which impacts your ability to evaluate a player

Re: the "competition" angle.

If the Gophers ever get to a point where top recruits are saying, "I don't want to go to MN - the competition for playing time is too tough. I'd rather go to a school like Notre Dame where I have a better chance of playing right away."

If that ever happens, I can die a happy man.

With all due respect to the current and incoming O-line candidates, the Gophers need and will take all the talent they can manage. We are certainly not at the point where the Gophers can turn down top talent because the roster is so loaded that there's no room for another good player.

Re: the "competition" angle.

If the Gophers ever get to a point where top recruits are saying, "I don't want to go to MN - the competition for playing time is too tough. I'd rather go to a school like Notre Dame where I have a better chance of playing right away."

If that ever happens, I can die a happy man.

With all due respect to the current and incoming O-line candidates, the Gophers need and will take all the talent they can manage. We are certainly not at the point where the Gophers can turn down top talent because the roster is so loaded that there's no room for another good player.

I don’t think it’s the gophers saying we have too good of a roster at this point tbh. It may be a recruit doesn’t like all the young players at a spot and may go elsewhere for early PT

Top HS players don't think like that. They have been popular and pampered since grade school. That talent doesn't just appear when the scouts come looking. Any 4 star type kid "knows" he can beat out the next guy. Any "next" guys and that is part of why they are so good.

I don’t think it’s the gophers saying we have too good of a roster at this point tbh. It may be a recruit doesn’t like all the young players at a spot and may go elsewhere for early PT

I highly doubt Quinn Carroll is scared Jack York or Grant Norton. That would be like saying hoops lost Rashad Vaughn because of Dede McNeil

York and Norton aren't exactly chopped liver. They are going to have a chance to make their mark. However, yes, Carroll is an exceptional talent that will be an impact player as a lineman. My goodness, what a line we will have in a year or two. Heck, could be pretty dang good in 2018 before Quinn arrives. Betting on it. Benhart should choose wisely and get on this Gopher line. We are getting ready to blow big holes in the Wisconsin DL!

York and Norton aren't exactly chopped liver. They are going to have a chance to make their mark. However, yes, Carroll is an exceptional talent that will be an impact player as a lineman. My goodness, what a line we will have in a year or two. Heck, could be pretty dang good in 2018 before Quinn arrives. Betting on it. Benhart should choose wisely and get on this Gopher line. We are getting ready to blow big holes in the Wisconsin DL!

I like the sentiment, but damn I'm tired of being the champs of the offseason, let's make this chatter reality because right now that's all it is...chatter.

I like the sentiment, but damn I'm tired of being the champs of the offseason, let's make this chatter reality because right now that's all it is...chatter.

How are you tired of something that never happens?

I highly doubt Quinn Carroll is scared Jack York or Grant Norton. That would be like saying hoops lost Rashad Vaughn because of Dede McNeil

You’ll notice I never said Carroll specifically but was commenting on the sentiment in general

How are you tired of something that never happens?

I must not be on the Gopherhole forum because every off-season I hear how Becky isn't that good, how it's the Gophers turn to win the West, etc. on that site. My apologies if you have read a different forum and didn't see that. Not that it's the same, but I'm also hearing how the Vikes are going to win the Super Bowl. I said let's make it there first, that's my point.

He plays in 5A, its one level below the largest 16 districts in MN. He is smart, fast, strong, sees the field well and elusive, tell me what more you want in a football player.

Count me among those who think Annexstad is the better prospect vs Kramer. It’s hard to glean much from his highlight videos. He averaged 8 (mostly play action) efficient passes a game on a dominant running team, passing to wide open receivers. If some of you though DC had a mediocre arm, well it’s like Bret Favre vs Kramer. I don’t think arm strength is the highest priority, but it sure helps.

I was/am a huge fan of Kellen Moore and he was even smaller than Kramer with a bit of a noodle but he made all the right decisions. A fantastic college QB. So it’s hard to just say Kramer is sort of a legacy “GWB to Yale” sort of situation and he’ll never be great (and I’m not saying that) but he’ll have an uphill climb to play vs the likes of more physically talented players in VV, Bachmaier, or Annexstad IMO.

Man, I don't know if there are different highlight videos floating out there or what, but I was shocked by Kramer's video. I expected him to be sitting back having all day and throwing to wide open receivers. I actually saw the opposite, he was throwing under heavy pressure and threading needles. I assumed with zero ints that he made mostly low risk throws, but again, my eyes said the opposite. He was throwing into coverage. Hard to tell on the arm strength, looks pretty good to me though. At the college level, accuracy and decision making are far more important than arm strength.

At the college level, accuracy and decision making are far more important than arm strength.
Nope. Most important thing is tightness of spiral.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

You also kept telling us Croft was the second coming, so we’ll temper our enthusiasm.

Plus velocity can offset some inaccuracy and plus accuracy can offset some velocity. To say accuracy is FAR more important is laughable in my opinion. "Rocket arm" kids get power 5 looks over highly accurate high school qbs all day long. If you can't make collegiate throws because you lack the arm strength, it won't matter how accurate you are.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think there's a certain level of arm strength that you have to have at a minimum in order to be a successful D1 QB. Beyond that, I think accuracy and decision making is more important at all levels of football. It doesn't matter how hard you can throw the ball if you're always throwing it into the turf or to the other team.

Kramer was asked to make some pretty accurate and high pressure throws in EP's system. Sure, there's the easy play action dump offs, but a lot of times when EP goes play action, they're looking to take a shot downfield and break the game open. Kramer has a quality arm, he can make all the throws.

Plus velocity can offset some inaccuracy and plus accuracy can offset some velocity. To say accuracy is FAR more important is laughable in my opinion. "Rocket arm" kids get power 5 looks over highly accurate high school qbs all day long. If you can't make collegiate throws because you lack the arm strength, it won't matter how accurate you are.

Rocket arm kids get looks because everyone loves pro potential and you never know how a kid will develop. They may have a higher ceiling. But in terms of college production, accuracy is way more important. You can win the heisman with an average arm, like Danny Wuerfful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. Most important thing is tightness of spiral.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Right. I would rank traits
1) spiral tightness
2) huddle presence
3) accuracy
4) decision making
5 pocket spin move
6) velocity

1) spiral tightness
2) huddle presence
3) accuracy
4) decision making
5 pocket spin move
6) velocity

I dissagree #5 is kinda a big deal:

Accuracy is by far the most important trait of a QB at any level. Next, it varies based on the type of offense but I would say athleticism, decision making or delivery can all be the second most important factor, arm strength 5th, size 6th and leadership/intangibles 7th.

Doesn't matter how far you can flick it or how fast you can get the ball to the destination if you don't have the accuracy to hit your target. If you lack arm strength but have accuracy, you can make up for it on certain throws and the coaches can call plays that benefit you more.

I agree that accuracy is important. I 100% disagree that it is far more important than velocity. You need both and the weights I'd place on each when evaluating a player are not as far apart as some of you believe.

I'd love to call the defense against your highly accurate qbs that can't get the ball downfield.

Agree to disagree. Back to Kramer and Williamson.

KSTP: Eden Prairie QB Cole Kramer Reacts to Committing to Gophers

Eden Prairie junior quarterback Cole Kramer chatted with KSTP Sports' Darren Wolfson about his 2019 commitment to the Minnesota Gophers.

Kramer talked about why he chose the Gophers, P.J. Fleck's attitude, getting the call from Fleck when he was offered the scholarship, what he needs to improve on in the offseason and next year, still beaming from the state championship victory, and much, much more.

Kramer also received interest from Iowa and Michigan State. He was the first commitment for the Gophers' 2019 Class.

http://kstp.com/sports/eden-prairie-quarterback-cole-kramer-commits-to-minnesota-gophers/4757450/

Go Gophers!!

1) spiral tightness
2) huddle presence
3) accuracy
4) decision making
5 pocket spin move
6) velocity

You forgot how hot is his girlfriend, that comes after spiral tightness, but before huddle presence

You forgot how hot is his girlfriend, that comes after spiral tightness, but before huddle presence

Obviously not a Brad Childress disciple. He had huddle presence #1 and I trust him more than you :)

Top Bottom