Coach Mo Named "Assistant Head Coach"

As head coach of a Big Ten program, you are in charge of several things.

1. Recruiting
2. Managing the players / leading them off the field
3. Assembling and managing staff
4. Marketing the program / interviews
5. Coaching football
6. Make game day decisions

At the college level I'd rank the importance of them the way I have them.

So far I'd grade PJ as follows:

1. Recruiting - A or B
2. Managing the players / leading them off the field - A
3. Assembling and managing staff - A (or B)
4. Marketing the program / interviews - (A+)
5. Coaching football - (B or C)
6. Make game day decisions (B or C)

The impact each of these have had on the progress of advancing our program I would put as such.

1. Recruiting
2. Marketing the program / interviews
4. Managing the players / leading them off the field
5. Coaching football

My point of course is, that if I'd want to criticize PJ, it would be for the portion of the program that will least affect us in future years.
With him performing well on the major parts of the program, I'm willing to hold my game day coaching criticisms until he has the players he wants playing in his system.

PJ has certainly done an excellent job of marketing and managing the Off the field stuff. His recruiting this season is another positive as he got and held onto some talented kids. So I would agree with your assessments of 1-4. 5-6 though were not B worthy and going forward that has to improve.
Each year going forward, your list/rank of important things will have to change for the program to advance. Coaching football and making sound game day decisions will be the only two things that will matter. No amount of marketing the program, managing players off the field, or managing staff can replace the main job of any HC and that is to win games period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Recruiting
5. Coaching football

1. Recruiting - A or B

The impact each of these have had on the progress of advancing our program I would put as such.

1. Recruiting
5. Coaching football

My point of course is, that if I'd want to criticize PJ, it would be for the portion of the program that will least affect us in future years.
With him performing well on the major parts of the program, I'm willing to hold my game day coaching criticisms until he has the players he wants playing in his system.

This was perfectly done. Agree 100% with you.

PJ has certainly done an excellent job of marketing and managing the Off the field stuff. His recruiting this season is another positive as he got and held onto some talented kids. So I would agree with your assessments of 1-4. 5-6 though were not B worthy and going forward that has to improve.
Each year going forward, your list/rank of important things will have to change for the program to advance. Coaching football and making sound game day decisions will be the only two things that will matter. No amount of marketing the program, managing players off the field, or managing staff can replace the main job of any HC and that is to win games period.

I agree.

After 3-4-5 years of marketing, "assembling and managing your staff" and "coaching football" would surpass marketing. Depending on what type of coach you are. If you let your coordinators do the game plan, then managing that staff is more important. If you're the X's and O's coach, coaching football is the higher priority.

Lots of new coaches out there looking to fill their staffs, I have to assume a few were sniffing around coach Mo.

1. Recruiting
5. Coaching football

1. Recruiting - A or B

1. Recruiting
5. Coaching football

5 & 6 are D or F.

Wow. Takes this hot aren't allowed until February. Clock management and discipline were major improvements this year, which fall under the umbrella of 5 and 6.

Clock management?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qh_iq8eKGIY?rel=0" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Okay, Assistant Head Coach, is that recognized as significant in the football world? Does each team only have one, or do multiple guys carry the title? Is it above Offensive and Defensive Coordinator titles? How do those two feel about it? How does Warinner feel about it? Just wondering if it really means anything in the big picture other than recognizing him for doing a nice job of recruiting? And if the rest of the staff is all in with the announcement?

Didn't mean to diminish the announcement, just curious... Congrats Mo!! :eek:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Mw0riLqQBj0?start=3" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Clock management?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qh_iq8eKGIY?rel=0" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yes, clock management. I'm just going to assume you're being sarcastic. It was so obviously improved this year that you'd have to fundamentally misunderstand the concept of time to not see it.

However, running with this, if we don't expect PJ to be involved with game planning, Xs & Os, etc. what do we expect? Calling plays is one thing, but shouldn't a HC be involved in the game plans & the Xs and Os? Is he strictly PR and Motivation?

I think this is an interesting read from his last stop:

"You're putting in two or three times the amount of time on the film (as the head coach), that's your job," Ciarrocca said. "His job is to make sure the team is ready to play. So he's not necessarily the expert in that area, and whenever they get involved that makes it difficult."

"I think that's one of the greatest things about working for coach Fleck, besides the unbelievable job he does as a leader and mentoring everybody and motivating the team and all that stuff," Ciarrocca said. "He gives us that freedom to run our areas, just like we give the position coaches their freedom. They're the experts in their particular area, and we have a great group of position coaches here.

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2016/12/western_michigan_offensivedefe.html

Yes, clock management. I'm just going to assume you're being sarcastic. It was so obviously improved this year that you'd have to fundamentally misunderstand the concept of time to not see it.

Pointed out frequently in the in games threads. Timeout usage.

1. Recruiting
5. Coaching football

So, in your opinion, marketing the program and doing interviews should be a bigger focus for a HC than coaching football and making game day decisions? Well, I think I now see our fundamental disagreement. Wow.

One important note to make about Coach Mo being relegated as Asst. Head Coach is that PJ Fleck mentioned in one of his pressers (don't remember which) that he wants his assistant coaches to head coaches some day.

He mentors not only players, but also his assistants. I think genuinely he wants to give back to the game like what Tressel, Schiano and others have done for him.

So, in your opinion, marketing the program and doing interviews should be a bigger focus for a HC than coaching football and making game day decisions? Well, I think I now see our fundamental disagreement. Wow.

Have you been a Big Ten head coach? Do you have a clue what you're talking about?

I hate to burst bubbles, but being the head coach actually has a lot less to do with the game of football than you might think. Nor does being the CEO of a Fortune 500 company have much to do with the low level grunt work that goes on there.

Have you been a Big Ten head coach? Do you have a clue what you're talking about?

I hate to burst bubbles, but being the head coach actually has a lot less to do with the game of football than you might think. Nor does being the CEO of a Fortune 500 company have much to do with the low level grunt work that goes on there.

So, you have been a Big Ten coach then?

Pointed out frequently in the in games threads. Timeout usage.

Priceless, referencing game threads... some high level thinkers shooting off ideas in there. Good stuff.

*(there are a few game thread posters that are sane, kudos to them)

Please enlighten us then on what a head coach does and what the assistants do since you have been in that element.

Was there any disagreement on the list FtF came up with itself? No

Recruiting, Managing the players / leading them off the field, Assembling and managing staff, Marketing the program / interviews, Coaching football, Make game day decisions

The disagreement was on what should be the proper order of importance of those tasks.

We'll enlighten us some more. Since you say you know everything, you have nothing to hide. What is your name?

Glen Mason

(can't wait for people to start Tweeting about Glen Mason is posting on GH)

Was there any disagreement on the list FtF came up with itself? No

Recruiting, Managing the players / leading them off the field, Assembling and managing staff, Marketing the program / interviews, Coaching football, Make game day decisions

The disagreement was on what should be the proper order of importance of those tasks.

Glen Mason

Wasn't asking about the list that FtF posted. Was asking, since you have been a BIG coach, what it is that a head coach does and what it is that the assistants do.

Wasn't asking about the list that FtF posted. Was asking, since you have been a BIG coach, what it is that a head coach does and what it is that the assistants do.

If that was the case Tim Brewster would have looked like Nick Saban compared to you (Glen Mason supposedly).

If that was the case Tim Brewster would have looked like Nick Saban compared to you (Glen Mason supposedly).

Nick Saban doesn't win because he spends 24/7/365 coaching football and making game day decisions.

For 2017, it absolutely had to be, and it was.
For 2018 it still needs to be.

Part of my opinion on the head coach coaching football is that his affect there is small compared to the coaches he hires if the game plans are being put together by the coordinators.

When to go for two, when to call time outs, and when to over-ride the coordinators calls, and clock management all seem trivial compared to getting better players and promoting your program.

Of course, at some point you have to win though.
I've seen nothing this year that makes me think PJ is a bad game day coach.
People who want to grade him harshly there can, but I think this talent would have gone 4-8 to 6-6 with 90% of coaches in 2017.

Priceless, referencing game threads... some high level thinkers shooting off ideas in there. Good stuff.

*(there are a few game thread posters that are sane, kudos to them)

I think he's referring to the oft cited complaint of running the ball and leaving with a 30 point loss versus trying to pass 50 more times and likely losing by 72 instead.

Tim brewster did poorly at leading the team on and off the field. - Sounded like an F
He did poorly with managing his staff. - Lots of turnover - D
He tried marketing the program, but maybe got a C there at best. Any marketing he did lost credibility with all of his other failures.
Coaching football --- seemed bad
Game day decisions --- I don't remember.

Top Bottom