Coach Mo Named "Assistant Head Coach"

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#HatsOff to #Gophers @CoachMo15 who was named Assistant Head Coach today! #SkiUMah #RTB https://t.co/skLHrbmQtN pic.twitter.com/IByDk0fzBx— Minnesota Football (@GopherFootball) December 21, 2017
Pay raise, or is this like "assistant to the regional manager"?

Pretty obvious that he's the best 'crooter on the staff. Nice.

Hopfully he can take some of that Xs & Os responsibility away from the HC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, Assistant Head Coach, is that recognized as significant in the football world? Does each team only have one, or do multiple guys carry the title? Is it above Offensive and Defensive Coordinator titles? How do those two feel about it? How does Warinner feel about it? Just wondering if it really means anything in the big picture other than recognizing him for doing a nice job of recruiting? And if the rest of the staff is all in with the announcement?

Didn't mean to diminish the announcement, just curious... Congrats Mo!! :eek:

Okay, Assistant Head Coach, is that recognized as significant in the football world? Does each team only have one, or do multiple guys carry the title? Is it above Offensive and Defensive Coordinator titles? How do those two feel about it? How does Warinner feel about it? Just wondering if it really means anything in the big picture other than recognizing him for doing a nice job of recruiting? And if the rest of the staff is all in with the announcement?

Didn't mean to diminish the announcement, just curious... Congrats Mo!! :eek:

Its basically a way to give a guy a promotion and a title without changing his actual job. In some cases it does mean that should something happen to the coach he's actually the guy that becomes acting HC. Typically see it with high performing guys they want to give a raise to or show love to. It also helps the guy if he has HC aspirations down the line. Any good HC that wants to attract high quality assistants also has to help them advance their careers and promote them for other jobs so its a good look by Fleck

Was probably getting heavy interest from other schools so this is a way to bump his pay and make him feel important. Gotta show that love, lol...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

What does this even mean?

PJ has said he isn't an Xs and Os guy. Clearly a HC needs to do some of that. 2017 showed he isn't all that good at it. Hopefully as Asst HC Mo will have more say and can do more of this aspect instead of the HC.

There are a mountain of tasks that have to get done to run a Big Ten football program.

Administrative, public relations, recruiting, fund raising ... oh yeah, and little side jobs like strength & conditioning, nutrition, athletic training, equipment, .... am I missing something? Game planning, or something like that?

Yeah. No question it takes 10 coaches and several other staff to keep the ship from sinking!

PJ has said he isn't an Xs and Os guy. Clearly a HC needs to do some of that. 2017 showed he isn't all that good at it.
You’ve said before that you’re just a full-time internet message board troll. Clearly a fan wouldn’t post the garbage you do on a daily basis. 2017 showed that you are not all that good at being a troll or a fan.

You’ve said before that you’re just a full-time internet message board troll. Clearly a fan wouldn’t post the garbage you do on a daily basis. 2017 showed that you are not all that good at being a troll or a fan.

Right. Only "fans" criticize.

xoxo

Good for him, he has done a great job with recruiting so far.

I don't understand what naming someone asst. head coach does. This isn't a knock on Coach Mo, I am wondering why this is done anywhere.

If this title gets him paid more, can't they just pay him more without the title being added or is their a limit as to how much a DB coach can make, but when the asst. HC title gets added that limit increases?
If he aspires to be a head coach, is this title really going to sway some school into hiring him?

Hopfully he can take some of that Xs & Os responsibility away from the HC.

Um, I am pretty positive Fleck calls zero plays. So, yea....

PJ has said he isn't an Xs and Os guy. Clearly a HC needs to do some of that. 2017 showed he isn't all that good at it. Hopefully as Asst HC Mo will have more say and can do more of this aspect instead of the HC.

Sort of but not a super close comparison, but neither is Dabo Sweeney. He trusts his Assistants to handle the intricacies of the X's & O's, so I see no problem with Coach Fleck doing that also. A HC nowadays at a P5 school is more of a CEO so to speak than a play guru. It is becoming much more frequent. Sure, you have exceptions to that, but being a CEO role and overseeing everything is the way things are trending.

Um, I am pretty positive Fleck calls zero plays. So, yea....

Not a super close comparison, but neither is Dabo Sweeney. He trusts his Assistants to handle the intricacies of the X's & O's, so I see no problem with Coach Fleck doing that also.

Not disputing any of this. I think PJ's track record is impressive so however he wants to do it.

However, running with this, if we don't expect PJ to be involved with game planning, Xs & Os, etc. what do we expect? Calling plays is one thing, but shouldn't a HC be involved in the game plans & the Xs and Os? Is he strictly PR and Motivation?

Seriously, all I said was PJ said he isn't that, & IMO he showed nothing in '17 to show otherwise (again, talking strategies only here), and that maybe promoting Mo will take some of those responsibilities from PJ. Why this offends people I don't know. Well, I do, but don't get it. What do I know, I'm only a "fan".

xoxo

You make it sound like your 10,000+ posts amount to some sort of thought-provoking critical analysis on coaching in the Big Ten. All I ever see is a daily blast of extremely passive-aggressive disdain for the HC. Save everyone some time... What’s the point you’re trying to make exactly? Do you even know?

I do think Fleck has limited amounts of input on the overall game plans, probably moreso on offense than defense. Do think each coordinator has to run the game plan by him for sanity check and sign off. But think Fleck at the end of the does maybe 0.1% of the total work that goes into each week’s game plan. There are vastly too many other, just as important, tasks that need to be done well.

Not disputing any of this. I think PJ's track record is impressive so however he wants to do it.

However, running with this, if we don't expect PJ to be involved with game planning, Xs & Os, etc. what do we expect? Calling plays is one thing, but shouldn't a HC be involved in the game plans & the Xs and Os? Is he strictly PR and Motivation?

Seriously, all I said was PJ said he isn't that, & IMO he showed nothing in '17 to show otherwise (again, talking strategies only here), and that maybe promoting Mo will take some of those responsibilities from PJ. Why this offends people I don't know. Well, I do, but don't get it. What do I know, I'm only a "fan".

I think he's involved with the overall scheme meaning, "this is the style we play on Off/Def and this is how I want us to get there", but allows his coaches to handle the finer details of coaching to that in practice and handling of play-calling during games. The practice I attended, Coach Fleck seems to spend more time coaching on individual situations he notices throughout practice (WR not finishing routes or poor technique on something) rather than implementing the individual game plan on a practice-to-practice basis. I'm sure he's involved in the game plan in weekly coaches meetings or however often they plan that during the week, he just seems to spend his time coaching in practice on an individual basis mostly that I've noticed. We're obviously both doing some heavy speculating, but I'd put money on that is his approach towards it.

Good for him, he has done a great job with recruiting so far.

I don't understand what naming someone asst. head coach does. This isn't a knock on Coach Mo, I am wondering why this is done anywhere.

If this title gets him paid more, can't they just pay him more without the title being added or is their a limit as to how much a DB coach can make, but when the asst. HC title gets added that limit increases?
If he aspires to be a head coach, is this title really going to sway some school into hiring him?
I suspect since they are state employees they may have to slot in to certain salary bands and the job titles determine which band you are in.

You make it sound like your 10,000+ posts amount to some sort of thought-provoking critical analysis on coaching in the Big Ten.

Really, that's what you got out of this post?

Sounds to me like you are looking for things to support your opinion of my posts. Sorry you don't like my posts Goldmember. Try the ignore feature if it's such a problem.

LOL

I suspect since they are state employees they may have to slot in to certain salary bands and the job titles determine which band you are in.

No salary bands for these guys. AD and BoR set/agree on a pool of $$. To me it's a tip of the hat to him, with some added responsibility, and a way to differentiate him from the other coaches to justify a nice bump.

As I understand it, the "Assistant Head Coach" title is a 'first among equals' situation. If something happens to the HC, the Assistant is the guy who would make game-day decisions, etc. (as opposed to one of the Coordinators).

It is also a way of recognizing a top assistant coach, and quite possibly providing a salary bump if the coach is getting offers from other schools. So now, as I understand it, if another school wanted to hire him away from the Gophers, they would have to make him a Coordinator - basically upping the ante for another school that might have been looking at Linquist.

As far as Fleck - hey, he's not a big X's and O's guy. that's fine. Every coaching staff has its own way of doing things. Some head coaches take a direct role in game-planning and calling plays on game day for the O or D. Other head coaches take the CEO approach - they run the show, but the coordinators do the game plan and play-calling. As long as it works, nobody cares how you get there. It's only when it doesn't work that people raise questions.

ironically, for those of us who did have questions about some of the game-planning and play-calling last year, that means we are NOT taking shots at Fleck - because he is not making play calls.

No salary bands for these guys. AD and BoR set/agree on a pool of $$. To me it's a tip of the hat to him, with some added responsibility, and a way to differentiate him from the other coaches to justify a nice bump.

I'm reminded that Craig Bohl recently did this with one of his coordinators. It helps keep teams away somewhat, and helps the coach feel like he should stick around. The promotion gave Bohl's assistant "autonomy over recruiting of players" and a bigger role in promoting the program. Would guess it's something similar here.

As I understand it, the "Assistant Head Coach" title is a 'first among equals' situation. If something happens to the HC, the Assistant is the guy who would make game-day decisions, etc. (as opposed to one of the Coordinators).

It is also a way of recognizing a top assistant coach, and quite possibly providing a salary bump if the coach is getting offers from other schools. So now, as I understand it, if another school wanted to hire him away from the Gophers, they would have to make him a Coordinator - basically upping the ante for another school that might have been looking at Linquist.

As far as Fleck - hey, he's not a big X's and O's guy. that's fine. Every coaching staff has its own way of doing things. Some head coaches take a direct role in game-planning and calling plays on game day for the O or D. Other head coaches take the CEO approach - they run the show, but the coordinators do the game plan and play-calling. As long as it works, nobody cares how you get there. It's only when it doesn't work that people raise questions.

ironically, for those of us who did have questions about some of the game-planning and play-calling last year, that means we are NOT taking shots at Fleck - because he is not making play calls.

True. He is the HC though...

As head coach of a Big Ten program, you are in charge of several things.

1. Recruiting
2. Managing the players / leading them off the field
3. Assembling and managing staff
4. Marketing the program / interviews
5. Coaching football
6. Make game day decisions

At the college level I'd rank the importance of them the way I have them.

So far I'd grade PJ as follows:

1. Recruiting - A or B
2. Managing the players / leading them off the field - A
3. Assembling and managing staff - A (or B)
4. Marketing the program / interviews - (A+)
5. Coaching football - (B or C)
6. Make game day decisions (B or C)

The impact each of these have had on the progress of advancing our program I would put as such.

1. Recruiting
2. Marketing the program / interviews
3. Assembling and managing staff
4. Managing the players / leading them off the field
5. Coaching football
6. Make game day decisions

My point of course is, that if I'd want to criticize PJ, it would be for the portion of the program that will least affect us in future years.
With him performing well on the major parts of the program, I'm willing to hold my game day coaching criticisms until he has the players he wants playing in his system.

Landing the top recruit of the class will get you this.

Top Bottom