Question on gophersports article. Highest ranked class ever?

247 can be confusing sometimes. Since they have their own ranking and the composite. On the page listed the big number says 23, but the number under it says 29. Is 23 247's own ranking and 29 the composite ranking?

247 can be confusing sometimes. Since they have their own ranking and the composite. On the page listed the big number says 23, but the number under it says 29. Is 23 247's own ranking and 29 the composite ranking?

Correct

Yep, they do a whole lot of number crunching on 247. It's appreciated but can be confusing. Everything is done from the stand point of a separate 247 ranking and composite ranking summarizing everybody's else's rankings. They do it seemingly for rankings on both individual players and team rankings.

Since there has never been an early signing period in December before, wouldn't any ranking we get this year be the best ever for this signing period?
Don't we have to wait until all signing periods end for the 2018 class before we can know where the Gophers land on a national scale?

Since there has never been an early signing period in December before, wouldn't any ranking we get this year be the best ever for this signing period?
Don't we have to wait until all signing periods end for the 2018 class before we can know where the Gophers land on a national scale?

Not really. If you want, you can. But no one will be talking about 2018 class rankings in February. We'll be worried about commits for 2019 then.

If you want to hold out to be disappointed, or to watch our ratings slide from 23 / 26/ 22, etc., to 29 / 32 / 38, etc., so you can come back and say "Told you so" or "Ugh, this isn't a very good class", you sure can.

I realize the "best class ever" label is for the internet era.

Let me just point out that a school that has won 7 national championships probably had a few good recruits along the way.

I hope the new recruits go on to have fine careers. But, I'm not going to expect that any of them will become the next Bobby Bell, Tom Brown, Carl Eller, Paul Giel, etc.

It may have been a while ago (?), but there was a time when the Gophers had some of the best players in the country. Let's try to remember that as we shower the new recruits with praise. All things are relative.

Not really. If you want, you can. But no one will be talking about 2018 class rankings in February. We'll be worried about commits for 2019 then.

If you want to hold out to be disappointed, or to watch our ratings slide from 23 / 26/ 22, etc., to 29 / 32 / 38, etc., so you can come back and say "Told you so" or "Ugh, this isn't a very good class", you sure can.
What I want is the actual, real ranking rather than a sliding scale ranking where each team picks their highest moment on the scale.
I ultimately don't care what the ranking is. I care that we win games. If Fleck does that, then great. This excitement about rankings is equal to a kid having a wet dream. Sure it's nice, but it ain't the real thing.

But wouldn’t that be more accurate. Today’s celebration is kind of like being ahead at halftime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me just point out that a school that has won 7 national championships probably had a few good recruits along the way.

I hope the new recruits go on to have fine careers. But, I'm not going to expect that any of them will become the next Bobby Bell, Tom Brown, Carl Eller, Paul Giel, etc.

It may have been a while ago (?), but there was a time when the Gophers had some of the best players in the country. Let's try to remember that as we shower the new recruits with praise. All things are relative.

Good point.
I think there is way too much happiness about this class.

Let's discuss how recruiting Tony Dungy and Bronko Nagurski was a better time for us.

Good point. Bronko Nagurski was, I believe, the nation’s last six star recruit (he picked up the plow and pointed down the road for heaven’s sake).

But wouldn’t that be more accurate. Today’s celebration is kind of like being ahead at halftime.

Yes it would be more accurate. I don't blame them for touting the ranking though as a PR move. Anything to build excitement. Our ranking will likely drop by the next signing day. It will still be a very very good recruiting class though.

Today is when they signed.
They didn't sign this coming February.

We are happy about the players we got because it's a key step to getting better.
Half might not contribute, but half will probably. For that we are excited.

The level at which they perform will not change based on whether the unsigned 4 and 5 star recruits all pick Georgia, OSU, and Alabama (teams that are already ahead of us), or if they choose NC State, North Carolina, and others who are behind us who may pass us up.

As we go through this journey, you can celebrate accomplishments along the way, or you can choose not to, and not be happy until they win a national title, a rose bowl, or whatever greater measure you feel is worth celebrating.

Yes it would be more accurate. I don't blame them for touting the ranking though as a PR move. Anything to build excitement. Our ranking will likely drop by the next signing day. It will still be a very very good recruiting class though.

The worst marketing and PR people are the ones who would say

"We are currently ranked as low at #26, and we're likely to slide if some key recruits sign with some teams behind us.
Namely, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa.
Nebraska, Iowa, and Nebraska could all easily pass us up, so keep that in mind. We don't want to mislead you or have you think we aren't being fully honest."

We are happy about the players we got because it's a key step to getting better.

The level at which they perform will not change based on whether the unsigned 4 and 5 star recruits all pick Georgia, OSU, and Alabama (teams that are already ahead of us), or if they choose NC State, North Carolina, and others who are behind us who may pass us up.

As we go through this journey, you can celebrate accomplishments along the way, or you can choose not to, and not be happy until they win a national title, a rose bowl, or whatever greater measure you feel is worth celebrating.
No one is unhappy with the players that signed. We're just saying the signing process is not over on a national scale and therefore the ranking the Gophers have today will not be the final ranking for this year's recruiting class.

What on earth are you talking about? No one will be interested in what the actual final ranking is? Isn't that what should be looked at? Who is more interested in Dec rankings than the final rankings (other than you)? Not JB or DPO - that's for sure.

What on earth are you talking about? No one will be interested in what the actual final ranking is? Isn't that what should be looked at? Who is more interested in Dec rankings than the final rankings (other than you)? Not JB or DPO - that's for sure.

FTF is a "Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story" kind of guy, odd considering his screen name.

You have been all about where our class is rated. The February date is when the actual rankings will be final, correct? I am not complaining about the class, but it’s not final, as you seem to want to pretend.

You have been all about where our class is rated. The February date is when the actual rankings will be final, correct? I am not complaining about the class, but it’s not final, as you seem to want to pretend.

Sure it’d be nice to still be top 30 come signing day, but the players we just signed are really talented individuals. The competing offers they all had bear that out. PJ has shown that he can develop talent at Western Michigan. There is real reason to be excited whether the final ranking is 26, 30, or 40.

Sure it’d be nice to still be top 30 come signing day, but the players we just signed are really talented individuals. The competing offers they all had bear that out. PJ has shown that he can develop talent at Western Michigan. There is real reason to be excited whether the final ranking is 26, 30, or 40.

That's also what I was "trying" to say.

I said I am not complaining about the players, and the class will be good. I don't agree that PJ has proven anything. There have been many coaches who had success at MAC level who were not successful when they transitioned to P5 programs. Some have been successful, but not nearly as many as those who have struggled. We will see how it works out with PJ, but there are definitely questions yet about his coaching and developing players at this level. Let's hope he is like Urban Meyer.

Let's wait and see what the class looks like when it enrolls, that should be the true measuring stick of how good a class is. It was the downfall of the 2008 class.

Regarding where the Gophers end up in the rankings come February...

So, at one point Fleck stated that they could sign up to 28 people. I've heard competing theories as to whether that's still true with the rule changes that allowed the early signing period or not (i.e. can you still backsign 3 players), but haven't seen anything concrete one way or the other. If it is still true, the ranking could just as easily go up rather than go down, depending who would sign.

Also, my other question is this - how many people did the Wisconsin/Nebraska/Iowa group (or basically anyone behind MN) sign vs. how many can they sign? Do we even have reason to believe they have open spots? I don't know why they wouldn't have been pushing to get everyone to sign yesterday just like Minnesota was... I think it's more of the super blue chips - the Alabama's and Clemson's and tOSU's that might have been willing to wait on a 5* kid. Not to mention a couple that flipped last minute (tOSU QB going to FL). But for all we know, everyone behind the U is done signing as well, so there'd be no reason to believe they are necessarily going to drop, right?

The couple people that said it's like celebrating at halftime, it's more like celebrating having 10 straight strikes with the two extra throws still to go. You may not get a 300, but you're going to end up with a real nice score regardless.

Now, hopefully this class can contribute more than that 2008 class. Oof, there were a lot of highly rated guys that did virtually (or actually) nothing at the U.

I'm fairly certain that Wisconsin has a full class. Counting their current roster on 247 minus Seniors plus everyone they signed, they're at like 89 scholarships. They need at least 4 transfers to hit the limit and more if they want to recruit more this year (which they may have, I can't find a good source for transfers). I haven't looked at the other big ten schools yet, but I'm curious as well and may take a look later today. Sadly, I can't find a good source for announced transfers, so I can't really say if a team is done recruiting.

Top Bottom