Which Class of 2018 Gopher signee are you most excited about?

• Curtis Dunlap Jr.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Alex Reigelsperger

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Daniel Faalele

• Victor Viramontes

Votes: 66 48.2%
  • Brevyn Spann-Ford

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Rashod Bateman

Votes: 41 29.9%
  • Benjamin Sapp III

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Nolan Edmonds

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Terell Smith

• Other

Votes: 5 3.6%

• Total voters
Brevynn Spann Ford has always been my favorite commit although I don’t necessarily think he’ll be the best or earliest contributor but I am the biggest fan of his game and style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJ said he's a PWO, but I don't think that will last long.
I'm not saying there are side-deals made with PWO's, but I think Annexstad will get a very-PJ-like scholarship offer for his service to the team at some point.
Kid and his family are being very unselfish to help this team win, and I don't think we get the two O-Lineman without him.

Annexstad is at best the 2nd option, probably third, for playing time here, but he's the recruit who has done the most to make this team better for 2018-2021 right now.

PJ said as much today during one of the BTN interviews. Someone can clarify, but isn't it like a 2 year period before a walk on can get a scholarship? I don't think it needs to be a side deal - he just needs to wait it out.

It has been so many years since we have had a decent qb so I am very excited to see VV at the helm.

The offensive linemen are also extremely important to our future (don't forget Dickson).

T. Smith may be a big impact player in time.

But the guy I think just may be the biggest star of all is Spann-Ford. Put 20 lb. on him and he may be another Maxx (who is 3 inches shorter).

I guess my overall point is this is the hardest survey we've had on the Hole. There are just too many choices.

Hard to choose just one so:

On offense I think Spann-Ford is going to be an incredible mismatch weapon. Huge, fantastic hands, athletic.
On defense Braelen Oliver is a a super athletic heat-seeking missile. He’s going to be an difference-making playmaker.

So many more...

Victor, of course. We suffered a season without a QB of his potential. He is our biggest immediate upgrade. Bateman is an obvious choice too. Jornell Manns comes next month. I believe he will be a very pleasant surprise. Kudos to all the early arrivals next month! Each one has a chance to contribute this coming fall. Annexstad could well emerge as #2. I expect that to happen. Would love to see him complete passes to his brother.

PJ said as much today during one of the BTN interviews. Someone can clarify, but isn't it like a 2 year period before a walk on can get a scholarship? I don't think it needs to be a side deal - he just needs to wait it out.

There can't be anything official, obviously, as that would violate NCAA rules of max 25 signees. But it's quite obvious that Annexstad's family and Fleck worked out a wink-wink, nudge-nudge agreement to have Annexstad treated as the defacto 26th signee, with a scholarship to come as soon as it is allowed.

Why else would he be the only PWO listed with the other 25 signees on the signing day webpages?

He was also included in today's StarTribune reporting of the signing class, which lists 26 players, instead of 25.

Whatever, I'm fine with it. If he's that willing to come to Minnesota, with no scholarship out of high school, then more power to him.

Aside from my Dunlap pick, I'm also hoping VV is a drastic, immediate improvement at the QB position. The only thing I am concerned about is that I heard some "experts" compare him to a young Bret Favre. When I read that I thought, uh-oh... a throw off the back foot into triple-coverage that gets picked off to kill a game winning drive, among other disastrous things that young Favre was known for. Should I be concerned or is that just self-proclaimed experts blabbering about something they don't know much about?

Vic is the most important as far as team success. Need a qb to win games and the coach needs to win to stay gainfully employed. Overall there seems to be slot of talent coming in, there's always surprises both good and bad with each class as far as player development goes. Buckle up!

Dunlap. It all starts up front. Why do you think Wisconsin has been successful for so long? Why do Wisconsin running backs put up unreal numbers in college, but most do next to nothing in the pros? The game of football is won at the line of scrimmage.

Hard to disagree with your logic....

Aside from my Dunlap pick, I'm also hoping VV is a drastic, immediate improvement at the QB position. The only thing I am concerned about is that I heard some "experts" compare him to a young Bret Favre. When I read that I thought, uh-oh... a throw off the back foot into triple-coverage that gets picked off to kill a game winning drive, among other disastrous things that young Favre was known for. Should I be concerned or is that just self-proclaimed experts blabbering about something they don't know much about?

Not sure who these experts were, but a Favre comparison seems a little lazy to me. Stylistically, they are nothing alike.

If they are trying to say Viramontes is supremely confident in his abilities and isn't afraid to take risks. That is Favre-like I suppose.

Viramontes threw 19 touchdowns and 13 interceptions this past season. He also ran for 26 touchdowns. And fumbled 5 times, losing 2. So that's 15 turnovers in 12 games. But also 45 touchdowns. He's likely going to give Gopher fans highs and lows. Let's hope the highs strongly outnumber the lows.

maxresdefault.jpg

A year or two ago, he didn't look that impressive.

Looks more impressive now. The long hair is a good thing. Exudes confidence for a QB.

DRhBszGV4AEs8ME.jpg

His arms look like Favres.

screen-shot-2014-05-07-at-9-32-29-pm.png

That's some sound analysis above from yours truly.

1. Teague-Strong D starts with a solid DL
2. VV-The obvious
3. Oliver-This player has the makings of a very good LB
4. Bateman-The obvious

Zzzzoom! Speed is what we need. Terell Smith's speed is lock down corner like. Wouldn't be surprised to see him on special teams/ given a look at WR sometime in his career. Wonder what his 400 times are? Might not see him this season though.

Honestly, I am looking forward most to the entire class. While I follow recruiting and enjoy doing so, I don't get too wrapped up with it. It's fun to follow kids who want to be a part of our state (whether 2 years or an entire lifetime). Having said that, this recruiting class seems "close" and to have bonded. First year I can remember not being overly concerned about a kid "flipping" to another school and I feel that is a testement to both the kids and staff. I wish them all well. Look forward to making a trip to Indianapolis someday to cheer them on in an early December game.

Top Bottom