Which Class of 2018 Gopher signee are you most excited about?

• Curtis Dunlap Jr.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Alex Reigelsperger

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Daniel Faalele

• Victor Viramontes

Votes: 66 48.2%
  • Brevyn Spann-Ford

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Rashod Bateman

Votes: 41 29.9%
  • Benjamin Sapp III

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Nolan Edmonds

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Terell Smith

• Other

Votes: 5 3.6%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

In terms of next year it has to be either Viramontes or Bateman. I went with Bateman because I think he could have an immediate impact from the WR position which is starving for playmakers. Long term I am excited to see how Faalele, kid has an amazing offer list for someone so raw, clearly everyone is seeing a ton of potential in him.

Fleck seems pretty excited about Braelen Oliver.

Gotta be VV. We all know what it is like without a QB. Excited about this class!

I voted VV, but I'd vote Zack Annexstad as well.

Zack seems to be lining himself up as a future recruiter for the Gophers.

He already is our No. 1 Recruiter signee

Viramontes for me.

It may be a pipe dream - but looking at some of the top Juco QBs over the years has me excited that there might just be a chance for something special. There are several examples of Juco QBs in the past decade that have come in and made a very meaningful difference. some rated higher, some rated lower:

2010: Cam Newton (.9333) - resume speaks for itself (Auburn)
2010: Dominique Davis (.8222) - ECU's career leader in passing TDs (East Carolina)
2011: Zach Mettenberger (.9350) - SEC champion (LSU)
2012: Bo Wallace (.8630) - Three-year starter, #2 all-time in Mississippi history for yards, TDs, #1 all-time for total yards (Ole Miss)
2012: David Fales (.7900) - SJSU all-time leader in passing yards, TDs, and total yards (San Jose State)
2015: Chad Kelly (.8727) - Best single-season passing yards and TDs in program history, #3 all-time in career passing yards (Ole Miss)
2016: Jerod Evans (.9109) - Best single-season marks for passing yards, passing TDs, total yards in program history (VT)

2018: Vic Viramontes (.8851) - ???

Of course, for every Fales or Kelly or Evans there's a bust (or two) but I really hope Vic adds his name to the list above. We've been without a standout QB for too long.

Nolan, 'cause everybody's welcome! Somebody give Terell some love too! and Daniel!

Row the Boat!!!

I voted Faalele due to pure potential alone. Recruiting is obviously all about potential since there's not way to know if a player will pan out or not. That being the case, Faalele has the potential to be a unicorn for this team and I hope they are able to bring him to his fullest abilities.

It looks like we finally found a QB to Row The Boat for 3 years.

I voted VV, but I'd vote Zack Annexstad as well.

Zack seems to be lining himself up as a future recruiter for the Gophers.

What's the scoop on Zack Annexstad? Just curious as to why he wasn't offered a scholarship. From the videos I've seen of him he seems like a legit player who has a stronger arm compared to other HS QBs I've seen go D1. Regardless, I'm glad he's a Gopher.

As for me, I'm looking forward to watching Dunlap. Because as Dan Deirdorf used to say..."It all thtartths up front!".

And, as far as down the road goes...Annexstad becoming a schollie and tossing balls to Bateman and Manns unlike we've ever seen at the U of M. That's all I want for Christmas.

Elijiah teague is a 29 year old grwon ass man. Excited to see him in the trenches.

What's the scoop on Zack Annexstad? Just curious as to why he wasn't offered a scholarship. From the videos I've seen of him he seems like a legit player who has a stronger arm compared to other HS QBs I've seen go D1. Regardless, I'm glad he's a Gopher.

As for me, I'm looking forward to watching Dunlap. Because as Dan Deirdorf used to say..."It all thtartths up front!".

And, as far as down the road goes...Annexstad becoming a schollie and tossing balls to Bateman and Manns unlike we've ever seen at the U of M. That's all I want for Christmas.

PJ said he's a PWO, but I don't think that will last long.
I'm not saying there are side-deals made with PWO's, but I think Annexstad will get a very-PJ-like scholarship offer for his service to the team at some point.
Kid and his family are being very unselfish to help this team win, and I don't think we get the two O-Lineman without him.

Annexstad is at best the 2nd option, probably third, for playing time here, but he's the recruit who has done the most to make this team better for 2018-2021 right now.

I'll be slightly more excited to watch our offense with Demetrius Douglas, Tyler Johnson, and Bateman on the field together.

I like Douglas but I wouldn’t be surprised if the 3 WR starters are Johnson, Bateman, and Bell

How can it not be VV? The assumed starter at QB for 2018.

Without a QB, your offense is a car without an engine.

I like Douglas but I wouldn’t be surprised if the 3 WR starters are Johnson, Bateman, and Bell

As I understand, the offense doesn't use much TE or FB ... so why not all four?

Dunlap. It all starts up front. Why do you think Wisconsin has been successful for so long? Why do Wisconsin running backs put up unreal numbers in college, but most do next to nothing in the pros? The game of football is won at the line of scrimmage.

Doesn't Faalele have "Caterpillar" tattooed on his side?

Doesn't Faalele have "Caterpillar" tattooed on his side?

I haven't personally asked to see any of the players tattoos.
Nor have I been granted any viewing of tattoos without requests.

Victor Viramontes, because without him our prospects for the upcoming season would be dismal. He brings a year of experience playing at a higher level than any high school quarterback. If we had signed Armstrong instead, we would in the same situation as last year with no real experienced QB ready to take over.

Rashod Bateman would be my number two. Our QB will have more receivers that can get open. If come combination of Johnson, Bateman, Douglas and Bell on the field together at the same time, it really limits how the defense can play us and should create some nice opportuties.

Curtis Dunlap Jr. would be my third choice. I'm not sure I would want him to see the field this year, unless he is just plain ready. And Faalele has the potential to be the best recruit of the class.

Speaking with an former gopher QB - he was excited about the recruits but said do not expect any big improvement next year but in two or three years...watch out

Speaking with an former gopher QB - he was excited about the recruits but said do not expect any big improvement next year but in two or three years...watch out

Right, because usually a player just out of high school is not ready to contribute significantly towards increasing the number of wins for a Big Ten team.

And all the more reason VV stands out -- in theory, at least, he's ready from day 1 to be a significant improvement over Croft.

Victor Viramontes, because without him our prospects for the upcoming season would be dismal. He brings a year of experience playing at a higher level than any high school quarterback. If we had signed Armstrong instead, we would in the same situation as last year with no real experienced QB ready to take over.

Rashod Bateman would be my number two. Our QB will have more receivers that can get open. If come combination of Johnson, Bateman, Douglas and Bell on the field together at the same time, it really limits how the defense can play us and should create some nice opportuties.

Curtis Dunlap Jr. would be my third choice. I'm not sure I would want him to see the field this year, unless he is just plain ready. And Faalele has the potential to be the best recruit of the class.

+1

I would vote multiple players on either line. A good D-line makes everyone behind them better . You can have success as an average running back or QB if you have a great OL in front of you.

As a graduate of Highland Park, I am excited to see Mr. Everything at HP, Josh Aune. His AD compared him to Joe Mauer.

I don't know why, but I get the gut-feeling that Erik Gibson is going to be a stud as a big physical possession receiver. Spann-Ford has the tools to be one of the best TEs in school history. Beier is a guy who's gotten lost in the shuffle of the highly rated guys coming in, it could easily be the best lineman in the class.

But, the guy I may be most excited about outside of the obvious Bateman, Viramontee, etc is Bryce Williams.

All of those "lesser" kids in terms of ranking will be the ones responsible for taking this program to next level if it happens. A lot of teams get a few flashy kids that put up stats but can't do enough to compensate for the depth/talent issues elsewhere.

Top Bottom