What grade would you give the Gophers Class of 2018 Recruiting Class?

• A

Votes: 104 59.1%
  • B

Votes: 65 36.9%
  • C

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

A great class some solid athletes, but it's no osu or Penn state class hence it's not an A

A great class some solid athletes, but it's no osu or Penn state class hence it's not an A

So by your standard we may as well just take A off the grading scale because the likelihood of us being able to recruit on the same level as OSU or PSU is nearly impossible with our local talent base.

By Minnesota standards this class has to be an A. No idea how it will play out on the field but based on rankings this class is significantly better then most of the classes that have been signed here.

I never said It was a good class. It's solid from top to bottom. But it's not an "a". Why should Minnesota have different standards?

For those of you who are saying B or lower: What would be an A?

Top 15 class... something more on par with the top programs. This class is close and if p.j. can keep progressing as a coach and a recruiter "A" graded class will come... sooner than we think

An A would be a top 10 class.
B to me is 11-30 and C is above 30 but below 60(since we know that classes in this range are all pretty similar:p)

I never said It was a good class. It's solid from top to bottom. But it's not an "a". Why should Minnesota have different standards?

Because it is simply not realistic in the current landscape to expect Minnesota to consistently beat out the helmet schools for top recruits. We don't have a comparable local talent base to those schools and we also don't have the reputation they do. Over time that may change but it is foolish to think we can recruit on the same level as OSU, PSU, Michign, Alabama....., holding any Gopher coach to that standard would be completely unfair to him.

An A would be a top 10 class.
B to me is 11-30 and C is above 30 but below 60(since we know that classes in this range are all pretty similar:p)

Using this it would mean this class will end up as a C. By February the other classes below us will fill up.

Using this it would mean this class will end up as a C. By February the other classes below us will fill up.

Yes. If this class is an A, then what grade can you give next years class if we do recruit better?
I guess it depends on what your grading it against. The rest of the NCAA FBS teams, the BIG, the BIG West or previous Gopher Recruiting classes

I voted an A.

I think PJ is great.

Asking for a top 10 class at Minnesota in your first full year is unrealistic.

It's like trying to score 110 points on a 100 point math exam.
Sure, it would be great if it could happen, and you can make yourself believe that it should be possible and therefore an "A" if it happens, but in the end, it's unrealistic, and the closest thing to impossible without being impossible that I can think of.

Yes. If this class is an A, then what grade can you give next years class if we do recruit better?
I guess it depends on what your grading it against. The rest of the NCAA FBS teams, the BIG, the BIG West or previous Gopher Recruiting classes

Expectations each year should grow if the program is ascending.

Based on the roster needs and player rankings, I would say an A.

They definitely addressed their o-lineman needs, got the top-ranked JUCO QB and also got a 4-star receiver from SEC country.

It all starts with the line and they did a great job on that front.

An A.

96 and 100 are both A grades. Is one better than the other? Yes. But they're still both As.

It's an A for me for a few reasons. It's impressive after a 5 win season to beat out so many good to great programs for some of these guys. We also brought in good talent at some big areas of need like OL and QB. Good all around class.

I gave it an A. Not sure how we could have expected more. Talent, areas of need addressed. Signed and delivered in Dec. A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am thinking F

A is highest rated class in the country
B is second
C is third
D is fourth and fifth
Everything else is an F

See - I'm both an internet tough guy and an internet genius.

For those of you who are saying B or lower: What would be an A?

4-5 years to see in retrospect how the players and team performed. A solid B+ (but not an option) but I would guess if we see some performance on the field recruiting class rankings will improve and we might see an A class.

I will reserve an A grade for Top 5 in the conference.

top 25 - A
25-50 - B
51-75 - C
76-100 -D
101-128 - F

I guess I would agree with this if you are in a Power 5 conference. I give us a solid B to a B+ based on the talent level of the players we're bringing in. In terms of the capture rate and connection that we built with our commits this year was an A++++++++. I think what Fleck showed us this year is that he has a plan in mind as to how to recruit and KEEP players committed to the school. The group visit was freaking brilliant and I believe it performed twice as well as even PJ had hoped. The school looked organized, classy, and concerned for their players - it was a win on all levels. Oh, and every one of those commits signed on the dotted line. It only improves from here.

I'm the lone C voter. Reason is because I was grading this class based on where it sits with other FBS teams.
Grading it vs. other Gopher classes then it would be an A.

I'm the lone C voter. Reason is because I was grading this class based on where it sits with other FBS teams.
Grading it vs. other Gopher classes then it would be an A.

So do you give like half of FBS a F by that criteria?

I said B - as I look at the distribution of class ratings in the B1G over the past three years (2016-2018), I see a few tiers (note 2018 is to date so teams' final scores have not been finalized yet).

Top tier: 270+ points. Ohio State (3x), Michigan (2x), Penn State (1x).

Second tier: 220-240 points. Penn State (2x), Nebraska (1x), Maryland (1x), Michigan State (1x), Michigan (1x)

Third tier: 200-219 points. Michigan State (2x), Maryland (1x), Nebraska (1x), Wisconsin (1x), Minnesota (1x)

Fourth tier: 185-199 points. Wisconsin (2x), Iowa (2x), Rutgers (2x), Illinois (1x), Maryland (1x)

Fifth tier: 175-184 points. Northwestern (3x), Minnesota (1x), Indiana (1x), Purdue (1x), Nebraska (1x), Iowa (1x)

Sixth tier: <175 points. Illinois (2x), Purdue (2x), Indiana (2x), Minnesota (1x), Rutgers (1x)

Only two teams have consistently been in one tier: Ohio State (top tier) and Northwestern (fifth tier).

Other teams either float between neighboring tiers, or have seen marked increases or decreases with changes in staff.

Teams that float between neighboring tiers: Michigan (top and second), Penn State (top and second), Michigan State (second and third), Wisconsin (third and fourth), Iowa (fourth and fifth), Purdue (fifth and sixth), Indiana (fifth, sixth)

Big shifts, usually due to coaching changes: Nebraska (second, third, fifth), Rutgers (fourth and sixth), Minnesota (third, fifth, sixth), Illinois (fourth and sixth), Maryland (second, third, fourth)

This year we were third in tier three - I want to be first in that tier and in a really excellent year see us get to that second tier - that's an A for me. It's potentially unreasonable to think we can out-recruit OSU, PSU and Michigan any time soon but Maryland and MSU and even Nebraska? We can potentially compete there. I'd like to see us bounce between 2nd and 3rd tier.

Anyhow, my convoluted two cents.

No.
61-100 would be a D
above 100 is an F

I'm glad in real life, the letter grade doesn't matter, because we only went from a C to a B by your account.

For me the near future is about bench-marking against previous Gophs recruiting classes. This is an A. Very impressed how Fleck closed in the last two weeks.

In the end, it all depends how it translates into results on the field.

Top Bottom