Class of 2018 National Signing Day Thread - Tweets, Analysis and More

Where are all the Fleck doubters today? All the, he’s only recruiting marginally better, if not the same, as Claeys and Kill? It’s ok to say you were wrong. To say you had no idea. It’s ok. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a coup if the Gophers signs Verdis Brown. Is IMG Academy going to be ab established pipeline?

If anybody can go to a top football high school, sell the Gopher Football program, and then pluck four players from the school what words can you use to describe this? Just WOW!

Kudos to Zach Annexstad whose entire family bleed Maroon and Gold for helping us get his team mates to come and join him to make Gopher history.

I think the pipeline has already been established. It will flow mightily if Verdis signs and Dunlop is a big contributor. This has been an amazing morning.

People are still waking up. By the time they get to work, is it possible that signings will be over?

What a masterful PR stroke it PJ Fleck can pull it off. It will be a great PR national story. Great for future recruiting!

Is this your first time following NSD? All of the NLIs are in by 8:30 or 9 almost every year.

And how does the timing of NLIs translate into positive PR?

Programs like ours have to love the early signing day. Less time for other schools to poach our top recruits.

Another bonus of the early signing day is that if you can fill your class today, the next two months can be spent working on next year's class or actually looking at X's and O's for next season instead of trying to keep guys committed.

Is this your first time following NSD? All of the NLIs are in by 8:30 or 9 almost every year.

And how does the timing of NLIs translate into positive PR?

Doll, you got a point there. My second point was if he signs his entire class today instead of February 2018. It will not happen since it looks like Verdis Brown has until Dec. 22 to sign. This will be a pleasant surprise it it does happen.

So the Richter thing will be interesting. I'm not going to go back and look, but I thought the articles that had been posted lately said the NCAA was trying to eliminate gray shirts. Now maybe what this really means is he takes a year off from football and is just a normal recruit next year. I don't know. But we haven't had great success getting those guys into school in the past. For all we know it could be him, his family, grades, or anything else. I hope it all works out...

FYI... B1G Network just started their coverage from 8a-2pm on NSD. Already have shouted out Minnesota for having a top 30 class.

FYI... B1G Network just started their coverage from 8a-2pm on NSD. Already have shouted out Minnesota for having a top 30 class.

PJ is about to be interviewed on BTN here shortly.

Per Mike Hall "An interview with the never low energy PJ Fleck up next on our Signing Day show on BTN"

Fleck stated he can see Bateman, Dunlap, Smith & Oliver getting reps next year.

Does this leave room for Verdis Brown or Taiyon Palmer now?

Word I am hearing is we needed to get to 25. As discussed in great detail here, the oversigning rules changed this year so the "sign back to last year" concept doesn't exist in its same form. I hope someone understands the new landscape as I don't.

Some additional context - according to 247, since 2000, six of our 30 highest-rated players come from the 2018 class - #6 Curtis Dunlap, #17 Rashod Bateman, #20 Daniel Faalele, #23 Victor Viramontes, #28 Alex Reigelsperger, and #29 Elijah Teague.

https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Sport/Football/AllTimeRecruits

While certainly a good sign, it's also a little depressing to look at that list and see that 6 of our top 10 alltime recruits did little to nothing as gophers.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet (if so, please excuse my oversight), but one HUGE advantage to this early signing-day thing is that now coaches do not have to devote a single drop of energy to keep those players committed, fending off all the last minute attacks to get them to sign elsewhere. Think about the man-hours that will allow coaches to do other things, including recruiting next year's players. I would think that the number of hours saved would be signficant. ELITE job on getting all those guys signed.

While certainly a good sign, it's also a little depressing to look at that list and see that 6 of our top 10 alltime recruits did little to nothing as gophers.

It's actually super interesting to look at the other end of the list as well. Steven Richardson is literally our lowest-rated recruit since 2000 and he's done all right.

To name a few of the top 30 duds: Jeff Jones, Hayo Carpenter, Clint Brewster, Moses Alipate, Paris Hamilton, Sam Maresh, Vincent Hill, Hassan Lipscomb, Lamonte Edwards, Kerry Lewis, Bryant Allen, Andre Tate.

It's actually super interesting to look at the other end of the list as well. Steven Richardson is literally our lowest-rated recruit since 2000 and he's done all right.

That's not all the recruits though. He was a 3-star. There have been plenty of 2-stars.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet (if so, please excuse my oversight), but one HUGE advantage to this early signing-day thing is that now coaches do not have to devote a single drop of energy to keep those players committed, fending off all the last minute attacks to get them to sign elsewhere. Think about the man-hours that will allow coaches to do other things, including recruiting next year's players. I would think that the number of hours saved would be signficant. ELITE job on getting all those guys signed.

Thats a good insight but its also the main insight anyone makes regarding early signing day and the main reason coaches wanted it in the first place

This is huge. They can also start working with the guys that have signed in terms of laying the foundation for their transition to college. Always nice to be ahead of the game and with basically our whole class signed they really can shift their focus entirely to next year's class.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

There is simply no way that a player who grew up in a SEC state is going to turn down an offer from the state's SEC school(s), in order to come to Minnesota, with where our program is at currently. Maybe an Ohio St, Penn St, or Wisconsin.

Hmmmm.

Top Bottom