Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647

Quote Originally Posted by beavergopher View Post
    Illini gagged away a 2-0 lead. Neb. comes through in the clutch. Should have been us getting a chance to lose to Stanford.
    Yes. It should have been us, but it's not and the returning players need to figure out how to get back to an Elite Eight or Final Four.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    "The significant problems we face can not be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Ewert86PC View Post
    Yes. It should have been us, but it's not and the returning players need to figure out how to get back to an Elite Eight or Final Four.
    Figure out what?

Honestly, what could we have done differently this year??? We had six AA. Great coach. One of best setters in nation. And we were home the entire way.

There was nothing to figure out. We choked as hard as a team could possible choke, against Oregon. And they played the game of their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewert86PC View Post
    This is such a load of self-deafeating B.S. This is acceptance of mediocrity. That is the problem in Minnesota.

I have gone through it with the Twins, the Vikings, the North Stars, the Gopher football team, men's basketball, both hockey teams, wrestling and now volleyball. When the going gets tough, it's because people are against us or better than us, when it really is that we have to work harder, be more focused, be more intense and be better prepared to get over the hurdle in front of us.

We need to quit giving away, our part in not making it happen. Failure sucks, it hurts, it is embarrassing, it is not what we wanted to be. We need to be more persistent, more determined, more prepared for that next time we find ourselves on a championship path.

This should fuel the next drive rather than dampen it. We are better than we played and we need to show it.

A number 2 seed losing to 15 seed is a big time choke job. It is even worse to have it happen at home. If this were basketball you would never hear the end of it. This is not settling for mediocrity. Sports is entertainment. We need to be better at our entertainment.

I have admittedly mixed feelings about this season, only because of how it ended. Obviously, we were all expecting/hoping for a run to the Final Four and a possible national title. It didn't happen. And whether or not you can attribute it to choking, I don't know. Personally, I attribute it to peaking early and then being extremely tense during the match against Oregon.

With that said, I have a hard time calling a 19-1, Big 10 title team a failure.

As is almost always the case, it's a mixed bag. But I'll still look back on this team with fond memories, regardless of whether they "choked" or not.

Quote Originally Posted by MRJ View Post
    I have admittedly mixed feelings about this season, only because of how it ended. Obviously, we were all expecting/hoping for a run to the Final Four and a possible national title. It didn't happen. And whether or not you can attribute it to choking, I don't know. Personally, I attribute it to peaking early and then being extremely tense during the match against Oregon.

As is almost always the case, it's a mixed bag. But I'll still look back on this team with fond memories, regardless of whether they "choked" or not.
    Sadly, there seems to have been a change in college athletics, where winning your conference title is not as prestigious as going deep into the national tournament.

Seeing teams that fared worse in conference play, and who we swept in conference play, go deeper in the tournament than us is disheartening. It's like we we merely a sparring partner to them.

"The significant problems we face can not be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by MRJ View Post

I thought the 2018 Gophers fell off in performance drastically after the second Wisconsin match. In the next match they came out for warmups looking 'dead' on their feet, and they never played a complete match again the rest of the season. NCAA success is almost always based on who's hot at the end of the season, not the middle of it. In my non-volleyball mind, MN has trouble against the Stanfords & Oregons and similar teams because MN isn't TALL-AND-ATHLETIC enough. MN needs more players with Samedy's athleticism and about 3-4 more inches of length. That's a tall order, but necessary for winning the NCAA title.