Gopher Volleyball 2018

If you were looking for reasons why Goehner was not quite herself this season....her instagram post today that she is pregnant and expecting in June probably had a bit to do with that...

I know very little about volleyball and even less about pregnancy; so I won't comment on too much here, except mainly to say I wish Alyssa all the best. She seems a pleasant young woman. My novice understanding of VB tells me that the real weakness in the Gophers' 2017 defense was in the front-court net defense,not the back court. I wearied of seeing the opponents' thunderous spikes go sailing unopposed through holes in the Gophers' net defense that you could've driven a truck through. I don't see how any back-court defenders, no matter how talented, could've stopped them. I think the Gophers' front-court defense got weaker as the season went along whereas lesser teams got better. Maybe I got spoiled in 2016 by the defense of the Tapps, Lehman, and Sarah, the No 1 player in the country. Still, Sweet 16 is pretty darn good. Looking forward to next year already!!!

If you were looking for reasons why Goehner was not quite herself this season....her instagram post today that she is pregnant and expecting in June probably had a bit to do with that...

Reggie Lynch LOL?

Wisconsin 8th grader commits to U. She's an OH.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wisconsin 8th grader commits to U. She's an OH.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And by all accounts, quite the prospect. There was even a mention of her having the potential to be the state of Wiscosnin's best player all four years of high school on Volleytalk. That might be a bit of hyperbole (which of course is common with young prospects), but it seems nearly everyone has been blown away by her potential.

On top of that, some Wisconsin fans were upset by the commitment and apparently Nebraska wanted her badly as well.

I always have mixed feelings about commitments this early. Felt similarly when Shaffmaster committed at the same age. With that said, Melani has stuck with her commitment and now the Gophers are recruiting her younger sister, Mabrey, who is also a potential "five-star" recruit. In other words, so far so good.

All things being equal, I'd say Hugh is doing just fine on the recruiting front. :eek:

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-volley/spec-rel/011618aab.html

Gopher Sports catches up with Paige Tapp:

GS: You were able to play for USA Volleyball in 2017. What was the best part of that experience?

PT: The past summer was such an incredible experience, and something I have worked for my entire career. Putting on the jersey is an honor, and the teammates and staff you share the experience with are my favorite part. Getting to know players that I have battled against for years, learning from new coaches, and competing with a group with very special goals was incredible. These are memories and friendships I will have for the rest of my life.

GS: Tell everyone how you landed a spot with Stuttgart in December?

PT: I was looking forward to playing overseas for the 2017-2018 season, but planned on training in California until a great opportunity came up. I left on Thanksgiving weekend to visit my sister (Hannah) in Italy with the intention of coming back to train after the holiday. The assistant coach for USA Volleyball, Tama Miyashiro, called me a few days before I was planning on leaving Italy to see if I could play the remainder of the season for her professional team in Stuttgart, Germany. The team had some injuries, and was looking for a middle. I headed straight there from Italy!

GS: You've recently been featured in an advertisement with a few well known professional athletes? How did this transpire and tell us about the experience.

PT: Adidas has been working very hard to grow its influence in sport of volleyball, it is a company that shares similar values as I do, and it was something I wanted to get behind. I signed with them in the fall, and have been fortunate enough to be included in various promotional campaigns for them. The Sport 17 Commercial (Tapp is shown at 23 seconds and 40 seconds), which features various athletes, was an incredible honor to be included in. The whole experience was unbelievable. To be able to represent the sport of volleyball, and have a seat at that table was incredible.

Claire Sheehan transfers from Iowa to Minnesota

Sheehan's Iowa Bio:

2017 as a Freshman... Played in 32 matches... had 12 double-digit kill matches… ranked third on the team with 259 kills and chipped in 241 digs, 35 blocks, and 21 aces... registered 175 kills, 189 digs, 21 assists, 14 aces, and 28 blocks in Big Ten play... had fifth career double-double with 10 kills and 10 digs at Ohio State on Nov. 18... had nine kills and 10 digs against Ohio State on Nov. 11... had fourth career double-double with 15 kills and 13 digs against No. 22 Purdue on Nov. 5... tallied third career double-double with 12 kills and 16 digs at No. 10 Michigan State on Oct. 28... had eight kills and two blocks against Northwestern on Oct. 21... amassed second career double-double with 16 kills and 14 digs against Illinois on Oct. 20... recorded nine kills and seven digs at No. 6 Minnesota on Oct. 15... registered 15 kills, a .324 attack percentage and a career-high five blocks at Indiana on Oct. 11... had six kills, six digs and a block against No. 4 Nebraska on Oct. 7... registered first career double-double with 11 kills and a career-high 20 digs against No. 22 Michigan on Oct. 4... amassed 11 kills and a .308 attack percentage against No. 3 Minnesota on Sept. 30... had 11 digs against No. 7 Wisconsin on Sept. 29... recorded 14 kills and a personal-best nine digs at No. 2 Penn State on Sept. 23... tallied a career-best 19 kills, a .429 attack percentage, and a personal-high three blocks at American on Sept. 16... racked up a career-high 13 kills and eight digs against Iowa State on Sept. 8... had six kills, three aces, and seven digs at Long Beach State on Aug. 26... recorded six kills and two blocks vs. No. 2 Stanford on Aug. 26

On Sheehan:

I am going to wait to see if the U applies for an intra-conference transfer waiver from the Big Ten before I update my grid.

Volleyball Mag put out their list of 2017 high school All-Americans and the Gophers had three recruits on the list.

Rollins and Shaffmaster each made the first-team while McGraw was named second-team.

link: https://volleyballmag.com/2017-hs-aa-012718/

Volleyball Mag put out their list of 2017 high school All-Americans and the Gophers had three recruits on the list.

Rollins and Shaffmaster each made the first-team while McGraw was named second-team.

link: https://volleyballmag.com/2017-hs-aa-012718/

Now I am starting to feel like I know what its like to be a UNC/Duke mens cbb fan.

We really have been raking in the All-Americans and top notch recruits over the past several years. It's fun!!!

Now I am starting to feel like I know what its like to be a UNC/Duke mens cbb fan.

We really have been raking in the All-Americans and top notch recruits over the past several years. It's fun!!!
Yep. McCutcheon is as good as it gets on the recruiting front. Never a lack of talent on his teams.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Yep. McCutcheon is as good as it gets on the recruiting front. Never a lack of talent on his teams.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Just ONE Natl Title before I'm too old to realize it happened, lol. So like next year maybe? lol

Schaffmaster's HS coach got fired right after winning the state championship.

I now have 2 season tickets for volleyball. First year.

How awesome would that be? Every good program thinks she is transferring to their school.

Is it true that she's leaving Texas? If so, why shouldn't MN get her? I hope they don't drag their feet.

Is it true that she's leaving Texas? If so, why shouldn't MN get her? I hope they don't drag their feet.

The Gophers do already have 6 outside hitters on the roster and are adding Sheehan.

How long is it going to take to know who Hugh's tweet was about? If it was someone newly committed (and not Sheehan's transfer), then why wouldn't that player announce it on social media too?

It was announced officially yesterday that she is leaving but she is probably going back to California. USC likely?

River Falls (WI) frosh, 6'3" Anna Wolf, commits to the Gophers for 2021 (per prepvolleyball.com)

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-volley/spec-rel/030118aaa.html

The University of Minnesota will send the largest collegiate contingent to the U.S. Women’s National Team Open Tryout, March 2-4, at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

The Minnesota group includes 13 of 230 student-athletes from across the nation vying for spots on various USA Volleyball teams. The Gophers program is the only collegiate program that has more than eight going to the tryout. Over 90 colleges will be represented at the event.

The weekend is broken into four sessions with three waves per session. Friday’s first session goes from 2-8 p.m. MT, while Saturday’s sessions are at 8 a.m. (focus on serve/receive and individual work) and 2 p.m. (middle-centered and out-of-system focus). The final session on Sunday begins at 7:30 a.m. MT with tournament style play, along with 16-18 athletes selected by the U.S. Women’s National Team staff to participate in a “USA” training session. The Sunday session wraps up at 10:30 a.m. MT

Red Group
Regan Pittman

White Group
Lauren Barnes
Alexis Hart
Stephanie Samedy
Samantha Seliger-Swenson

Blue Group
Sophie Beckley
Kayla Buford
Lauren Litzau
Jasmyn Martin
CC McGraw
Taylor Morgan
Sara Nielsen
Adanna Rollins

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-volley/mtt/minn-w-volley-mtt.html

Spring 2018 Roster (minus McLean and Kleinman)

2 Barnes, Lauren DS/Libero 5-6 FR
9 Beckley, Sophie DS/Libero 5-6 JR
16 Buford, Kayla Middle Blocker 6-2
19 Hart, Alexis Outside Hitter 6-0 SO
15 Litzau, Lauren DS/Libero 5-8 SO
1 Martin, Jasmyn Outside Hitter 6-3 FR
7 McGraw, CC Libero/DS 5-9 FR
12 Morgan, Taylor Middle Blocker 6-0 RS SO
3 Nielsen, Sara Setter 5-11 FR
21 Pittman, Regan Middle Blocker 6-5 RS FR
20 Rollins, Adanna Outside Hitter 6-0 FR
10 Samedy, Stephanie Opposite 6-2 FR