Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MRJ View Post
    Should also add she plays her high school volleyball at Torrey Pines. Can also confirm that she's a 2020, so she'd be in the same class as Shaffmaster and Landfair.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
    That class has potential to be stellar. Landfair and Shaffmaster are going to go down as two of the highest commitments that Minnesota has ever gotten (Landfair is likely the #1 recruit in the class and Shaff top 5). They also have a similarly phenomenal duo coming in 2022 in outside hitter McKenna Wucherer and 6'7 MB Carter Booth. (Both also easily project as top 10 recruits in the class)

Some other big fish they are in on... things are looking great for the future of Gopher volleyball.

Leilah Smith (6'5 MB from Texas, 2020)
    Ally Batenhorst (6'4 OH and top 3 player in the 2021 class)
    Mabrey Shaffmaster (6'1 OH, Mel's sister, powerful arm)
    Sienna Ifill (2022, left handed Opposite, lots of potential)

No offense, at all, meant to either of you ... but isn't there a VB recruiting thread? This thread should be for discussing THIS year, and our chances of representing the state in the final four in Mpls!

Either of you have comments in regards to the interview with Hugh and his comments, that I posted?

to Gophers_4life Re Hugh's comments: I have nothing but respect for Hugh's coaching skills and results plus he clearly has a good intellect. However, his public comments are non-committal. He says great things about this year's team including the newcomers. That's okay and easy to understand since it's pre-season, but I still search for the subtexts in his comments only to find none. What can the fans expect from the 2018 Gophers realistically? If such info doesn't come from the Gophers staff, where can a volleyball novice like me find such info? For the past 3 years, since I started following Gophers VB, I've searched in vain for analyses of strengths and weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrothgar View Post
    to Gophers_4life Re Hugh's comments: I have nothing but respect for Hugh's coaching skills and results plus he clearly has a good intellect. However, his public comments are non-committal. He says great things about this year's team including the newcomers. That's okay and easy to understand since it's pre-season, but I still search for the subtexts in his comments only to find none. What can the fans expect from the 2018 Gophers realistically? If such info doesn't come from the Gophers staff, where can a volleyball novice like me find such info? For the past 3 years, since I started following Gophers VB, I've searched in vain for analyses of strengths and weaknesses.
    Hugh never tips his hand in interviews. As amazing of a coach and recruiter as he is, don't look for any clues from Hugh himself as it pertains to personnel and a team's outlook. He plays things close to the vest and says a whole lot of nothing to the media.

Regarding this season, there are high expectations. There is an expectation that this will be a top 4 team and I don't think satisfaction will come from any less than a final four appearance at home this season. Samedy/Swenson/Hart are clearly elite players and McGraw/Barnes have the potential to be a very special backcourt tandem.

I think the conerns about OH2 and the MB position are very fair. Pittman is talented but a repeat season similar to last year's is absolutely not going to cut it. The fact the Martin has not seperated herself at OH2 is reason to worry, but I think everybody's hope is that between Martin/Rollins/Sheehan, at least one will step up and establish themselves as a formidable 2nd outside. Those will be the keys to potentially a very successful season.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    No offense, at all, meant to either of you ... but isn't there a VB recruiting thread? This thread should be for discussing THIS year, and our chances of representing the state in the final four in Mpls!

Either of you have comments in regards to the interview with Hugh and his comments, that I posted?
    This is the only volleyball thread (outside of some special articles that deserve to stand alone). Recruiting is best discussed here. Maybe that will change in the future. Anyway, I'm ready to return to the sweltering PAV for an open practice (I assume) and then some semi-informed speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by GameDay View Post
    Hugh never tips his hand in interviews. As amazing of a coach and recruiter as he is, don't look for any clues from Hugh himself as it pertains to personnel and a team's outlook. He plays things close to the vest and says a whole lot of nothing to the media.

Regarding this season, there are high expectations. There is an expectation that this will be a top 4 team and I don't think satisfaction will come from any less than a final four appearance at home this season. Samedy/Swenson/Hart are clearly elite players and McGraw/Barnes have the potential to be a very special backcourt tandem.

I think the conerns about OH2 and the MB position are very fair. Pittman is talented but a repeat season similar to last year's is absolutely not going to cut it. The fact the Martin has not seperated herself at OH2 is reason to worry, but I think everybody's hope is that between Martin/Rollins/Sheehan, at least one will step up and establish themselves as a formidable 2nd outside. Those will be the keys to potentially a very successful season.
    Thanks. Your final 2 paragraphs are very helpful. This info may be obvious to a seasoned VB person, but they help me as a novice and primarily a baseball/softball & tennis fan. We have bought season tickets to Gopher VB because it's exciting, but it's hard to know what's "really" going on in a match technically/strategically speaking, which is really what interests me most. Too bad expert comments aren't out there regularly, however brief they may be.

Default Gopher Volleyball Board is at Volley Talk

If you are interested in talking volleyball at the U, check out http://volleytalk.proboards.com/thre...minnesota-2018 for more indepth discussion. There are over 50 pages devoted to the 2018 Gophers.

Quote Originally Posted by ecoperson View Post
    If you are interested in talking volleyball at the U, check out http://volleytalk.proboards.com/thre...minnesota-2018 for more indepth discussion. There are over 50 pages devoted to the 2018 Gophers.
    ^
    The best forum far and away for college volleyball discussion. Tons of traffic on the site, and very knowledgeable VB people who are happy to discuss no matter how new to following volleyball you are. Lots of Gopher fans/discussion on the site!

Thank you so much for that link!! I as well am not an expert in VB, but want to learn more and support the team.

I suppose since we we likely won’t have a separate vball forum on this website, it’s tough to have a bunch of separate vball threads.

Thanks all for the comments!

Quote Originally Posted by GameDay View Post

Agree with all of this. Expectations are (and should be) high, not that it's anything new for Gopher volleyball. At this point, expectations are very high for the team almost every year, which makes things that much more fun.

If they can sort out OH2 and MB2, I think this team can be special. Even with some bumps here and there, I still expect the team will be quite formidable.

Can't wait to see the team out there in less than a month!

Another Q&A interview with coach Hugh: https://volleymob.com/qa-previewing-...gh-mccutcheon/

I see what you guys are saying. The guy is really just not that great of an interview. More or less refuses to answer any question that has even a glimmer of probing for actual information. Just repeats platitudes about players always having to earn playing time, or heaps mostly non-technical praise for individual players.

Bummer for fans. But if he wins, that's ultimately what matters.

The AVCA released their preseason top 25 rankings today and the ladies check in at No. 4.

Other Big 10 teams: 2. Nebraska, 6. Penn State, 9. Wisconsin, 12. Illinois, 22. Michigan State, 23. Purdue. Michigan is receiving votes.

link: https://www.avca.org/polls/di-women/8-8-2018.html

This link shows a picture from practice yesterday of what looks like an on-court huddle with: SSS, Martin, Barnes, Pittman, Rollins, Hart https://twitter.com/GopherVBall/stat...25210029117442

Guess they were trying to split up into two equal squads for practice, with Samedy and McGraw on the other side? Guessing that Martin was playing Opposite?