Gopher Volleyball 2018

Hard to ask for any team to be on your A game 100% of the time. Slipped a bit last night but still pulled it off. Thats a pretty good sign how good this team is.

Right. There are bound to be peaks and valleys in any long season. Against MSU, the Gophers won on talent (even against Nebraska, too, to a degree), not on precision and execution. They can also beat Michigan on talent, too, but it's no guarantee. Sharper passing would help.

The Gophers swept Michigan in Crisler arena 25, 10, 20. It's always much nicer to watch Michigan play the occasional match in Crisler rather than play in the converted natatorium that they usually occupy.

The first set was a battle. Paige Jones had 11 kills for Michigan. Minnesota was down 20-16 (after a point replay) before tying the match at 20 and then later fighting off a couple of Wolverine set points.

In the second set the Gophers sprinted to a big lead; got Jones under control and then as usual took advantage of Michigan errors. The third set was similar although Michigan made a late comeback.

The Gophers blocked Michigan right out of the gym. Minnesota had 14 blocks to Michigan's 0. And the Gophers got plenty of tips while making life miserable for the wolverines.

As usual the offense was spread around (although Rollins played a small role). Pittman (10 kills, .500) and Morgan (13 kills, .632) were difficult matchups for Michigan. A nice weekend start to a month of road matches.

What dominating blocking can do:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It looks like there are two dicey games left on the schedule. At Wisconsin and at Penn St. For whatever reason, we've owned Wisconsin the last few years, but we are due to lose one. And Penn St. is playing great through the middle part of the season. 10 straight wins since starting 0-2. But I'd guess a win this Wednesday at Wisconsin will clinch the conference title for all intents and purposes.

Breaking right. Penn State and Nebraska (in four to the Illini) both lose tonight.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It looks like there are two dicey games left on the schedule. At Wisconsin and at Penn St. For whatever reason, we've owned Wisconsin the last few years, but we are due to lose one. And Penn St. is playing great through the middle part of the season. 10 straight wins since starting 0-2. But I'd guess a win this Wednesday at Wisconsin will clinch the conference title for all intents and purposes.

Considering the rest of the schedule, the Gophers have a real chance to finish the Big Ten season undefeated...which would be unbelievable. Best team Hugh has had here since his hiring.

Considering the rest of the schedule, the Gophers have a real chance to finish the Big Ten season undefeated...which would be unbelievable. Best team Hugh has had here since his hiring.

It is easily his deepest teams. They have lots of offensive options.

What an amazing team. The Gophers have outstanding women's sports, especially hockey, softball and of course vb

I am continually amazed by what this team has done 12 matches into the conference season. Winning 36 of 38 sets played in the Big 10 is nuts.

After Penn State gagged one away at home to Purdue last night, the ladies are now firmly in control of the conference race.

With that said, games with Wisconsin in Madison are always a severe challenge. But the ladies have dominated the Badgers recently, regardless of where they have played. Just worried that Wisconsin is due for a big performance against us. With that said, the ladies always seem to answer the bell when it comes to the Border Battle.

We'll find out in a few days.

I am continually amazed by what this team has done 12 matches into the conference season. Winning 36 of 38 sets played in the Big 10 is nuts.

After Penn State gagged one away at home to Purdue last night, the ladies are now firmly in control of the conference race.

With that said, games with Wisconsin in Madison are always a severe challenge. But the ladies have dominated the Badgers recently, regardless of where they have played. Just worried that Wisconsin is due for a big performance against us. With that said, the ladies always seem to answer the bell when it comes to the Border Battle.

We'll find out in a few days.

I think MN is the better team, especially in the back court. If they play their game and with intensity, they will win. As the saying goes in tennis, the match is on the their racquet.

Michigan was down 3 starters so it would be interesting to see them at full strength against the Gophers if they meet in the tournament. Pittman may have been the MVP of the weekend, she has been playing well.

Pitt lost today to Duke 3-1 and probably lost their top 4 seed hopes!

I think MN is the better team, especially in the back court. If they play their game and with intensity, they will win. As the saying goes in tennis, the match is on the their racquet.
Agree, but seeing as how this is a road game against a top 10 opponent, a rivalry game and a team the Gophers thoroughly dominated the first time around, I wouldn't be surprised if the Badgers come out with some serious fire.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Michigan was down 3 starters so it would be interesting to see them at full strength against the Gophers if they meet in the tournament. Pittman may have been the MVP of the weekend, she has been playing well.

Pitt lost today to Duke 3-1 and probably lost their top 4 seed hopes!

Good. I think MN can still lose one more and still get a top 4 seed. Pitt losing is better for Illinois then us...

Thank goodness ... get Pitt out of there, jeez. Play someone!

Illinois legitimately looking like it might earn the #4 seed! Wow!

This team has legit 5 terminal hitters .... wait, let's be honest ... when SSS is in the front, she can dump it as well as anyone. Blocking is a great bonus when we get it, great defense.

Final four is in Mpls.

This has to be the year.

If those top 4 win out, I think those are your regional hosts.

Illinois gets Penn St at home in 2 weekends, then Purdue at home to end their regular season. I think they can win every game.

The RPI Futures has us in the top 4 and that is with losing one more match. There really isn't a realistic scenario where we win the Big Ten and don't get to host the regionals. I suppose if we lose 3 more matches, but that's doubtful. I think we even get a top 4 seed with 2 losses (Wisconsin and Penn St). But let's win them and make it clear we deserve it.

Big one tomorrow night. Huge for conference and RPI purposes.

If they finish the season strong they never have to leave Minneapolis to be national champs. That has to be a lot of motivation. The friendly confines of The Pav and what I'm sure will be a very pro-Gopher crowd at Target Center.

Big one tomorrow night. Huge for conference and RPI purposes.

If they finish the season strong they never have to leave Minneapolis to be national champs. That has to be a lot of motivation. The friendly confines of The Pav and what I'm sure will be a very pro-Gopher crowd at Target Center.

You nailed it!

The streak against Wisconsin has to stop at some point ...... but not this year!!!! :clap:

4 hours until first serve!!!! LETS GO GOPHERS!! POINT U

Really fun match. Seems like a different hitter steps up every night. Rollins was great. Huge huge huge win.

Only saw final stages of set four due to work responsibilities, but the commentators seemed to suggest the ladies shrugged off set one and took care of business from there.

Figured the Badgers would put up a spirited effort and it seems the did just that. But in looking at the stats, the Gophers just have so many weapons and are so deep that it just wore Wisconsin down.

Only saw final stages of set four due to work responsibilities, but the commentators seemed to suggest the ladies shrugged off set one and took care of business from there.

Figured the Badgers would put up a spirited effort and it seems the did just that. But in looking at the stats, the Gophers just have so many weapons and are so deep that it just wore Wisconsin down.

I think you're right. In a way WI seemed to win the statistics battle and Rettke got her 30 kills, pretty much uncontested. However, Loberg and Quello and other Badger front liners seemed to become less and less a factor the longer the match went on. Despite MN's offensive power, I felt the match was mainly won in the back court, where WI is not as strong as MN, IMHO. In sets 3 & 4 WI had to work harder and harder to score points.

We have more depth than in previous years and Samedy started slow in the first set. Really hope this team makes a run.

I think you're right. In a way WI seemed to win the statistics battle and Rettke got her 30 kills, pretty much uncontested. However, Loberg and Quello and other Badger front liners seemed to become less and less a factor the longer the match went on. Despite MN's offensive power, I felt the match was mainly won in the back court, where WI is not as strong as MN, IMHO. In sets 3 & 4 WI had to work harder and harder to score points.

In a way, I think the play of the back court has been a little overlooked this year. Even though they don't get the attention that Hart, Samedy, Morgan, Pittman and SSS get, Barnes and McGraw are quite the dynamic duo back there. They've been pretty much lights out in conference play. Having the two of them around to play together for the next two years is going to be fun to watch.

Top Bottom