Gopher Volleyball 2018

It's sort of a double whammy because Friday is Volleyball's Senior night rather than Saturday. For me, it's probably a set and a half and then over to hoops.

I'm thinking the same. Was just talking to my wife about it. Would like to be able to do both!

https://www.instavolley.com/five-le...in-the-international-volleyball-hall-of-fame/

Congratulations!

The International Volleyball Hall of Fame will hold a ceremony to induct the 5-member class on Saturday, November 10th, at the Log Cabin in Holyoke.

The five members include University of Minnesota head coach Hugh McCutcheon; Brazilian star player Gilberto Amauri de Godoy Filho, better known as Giba; 6-time Soviet and Russian Olympian Evgeniya Artamonova Estes; 1964 Japanese Olympic volleyball coach Hiroshi Toyoda; and Dutch Olympic Champion Bas van de Goor. Notably, van de Goor joins his 1996 Olympic teammate Ron Zwerver, who was inducted last year.

How are we feeling about the weekend? I think the game vs Indiana should be an easier match. Well rested team, at home. I see that as a 3-0 type of night.

Saturday is tough. Purdue has been playing some good volleyball and have had a good year overall.

Recently won @ Penn State, but that was a day after dropping a set to Rutgers (5-42 set record in the conference). Maybe a bit inconsistent. They are also traveling to Wisconsin on Friday then to Dinkytown, which has proven to be a tough road trip this year. Will be a fun final home weekend!

Heard an interview yesterday with Hugh. States that he is not worried about finishing undefeated. Just wants to win the conference. Now I'm thinking he was trying to take the pressure of the ladies as he is going to be gone for a well deserved honor.

How are we feeling about the weekend? I think the game vs Indiana should be an easier match. Well rested team, at home. I see that as a 3-0 type of night.

Saturday is tough. Purdue has been playing some good volleyball and have had a good year overall.

Recently won @ Penn State, but that was a day after dropping a set to Rutgers (5-42 set record in the conference). Maybe a bit inconsistent. They are also traveling to Wisconsin on Friday then to Dinkytown, which has proven to be a tough road trip this year. Will be a fun final home weekend!

We've got really lucky this year when we have weekends of one tough team and one easier team, we get the easy one first. And the tough one plays Wisconsin and then has to bus here. Thanks Sconnie...

Heard an interview yesterday with Hugh. States that he is not worried about finishing undefeated. Just wants to win the conference. Now I'm thinking he was trying to take the pressure of the ladies as he is going to be gone for a well deserved honor.

There is some debate about whether he's going to be gone or not. Doesn't matter to me either way...

There is some debate about whether he's going to be gone or not. Doesn't matter to me either way...

The good thing is that regardless of whether Hugh is here for both matches or not, you can assured the ladies have known well before this weekend what his intentions were. In other words, there is undoubtedly a plan in place. The only people who are really worrying about this are fans. But I'm with you; it doesn't bother me either way.

The good thing is that regardless of whether Hugh is here for both matches or not, you can assured the ladies have known well before this weekend what his intentions were. In other words, there is undoubtedly a plan in place. The only people who are really worrying about this are fans. But I'm with you; it doesn't bother me either way.

Good point. And they have capable coaches. It isn't ALL that difficult to manage the team at this point. The rotations are set and all that.

A poster on VT says he will be here for Purdue.

Good night for senior night, hope all the seniors can sneak in to play! Expecting a sweep tonight, so maybe.

Tomorrow will be tougher. Expecting a win but not sure if it will be a Michigan State style 3-2, or better than that. I'm sure the Wisconsin matched drained them a little, Wisco lost their match vs Michigan after playing us.

See that Wisconsin won tonight 3-2. Full 5 sets. Hopefully Saturday will be a win-win-win day in Dinky Town (football/volleyball and hockey on the road).

why do I have 5 BTN alternative channels if they are all just always going to show me what is on original BTN. Seriously you can't air the volleyball game on just one of those alternative channels? Do we need 5 channels of Purdue basketball vs some random mid major school? How do they expect womens sports to ever catch on if they don't even bother airing two top 15 teams playing each other. Out of all of the women sports out there, I feel like volleyball is the best one to bring to the main stream, but that's all up to the networks.

Last edited:

Minnesota swept Purdue 10, 23, 19. As so often this season, errors were a major factor. Purdue tallied 19 hitting errors to Minnesota's 7. And the Boilers committed 8 service errors to Minnesota's zip. Once again Hugh changed up the service rotation with CC McGraw serving first and Rollins starting in the front row. There was a short post game acknowledgement and video congratulating Hugh on his Hall of Fame induction.

Now the team hits the road for two weeks.

Little late, but did Indiana really hit negative? That’s hard to do.

Nice win vs Purdue. One win away from clinching the conference and worse comes to worse...we still play Rutgers

Illinois has a soft conference schedule.

Play Minnesota once and Penn State once

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...chedule-stay-undefeated-in-big-ten/500217492/

The plane tickets had been purchased. The hotel rooms had been booked. All Hugh McCutcheon and his family needed to do was show up at the airport Saturday morning to travel to Holyoke, Mass., where the Gophers coach would be inducted into the International Volleyball Hall of Fame.

Then McCutcheon woke up at 3 a.m. last Tuesday and had a change of heart. With the third-ranked Gophers still undefeated in the Big Ten — and set to conclude the regular-season home schedule Saturday against No. 12 Purdue — he called the Hall and offered his regrets. “I realized the potential risk to a team that’s playing well, that has a lot at stake,” he said. “Those things outweighed me going to a dinner.”

“I think for this team, the best is yet to come,” the coach said. “The one thing that has been particularly important for this group is that every week, we’ve been able to add more layers: a system, or a fundamental mastery piece, or something else that’s helped us to be better the next weekend. I expect that to continue.

“I wish I could have been [at the Hall of Fame ceremony] with the other inductees at the banquet. But I’m where I was supposed to be.”

Some of McCutcheon’s family members — including his mother, Milly — traveled from his native New Zealand to attend the Hall of Fame induction. When he told the Gophers he had canceled the trip, Hart said the players were deeply touched.

“It’s an amazing honor,” she said. “The fact that he stayed with us shows how he really believes in us this year. It was really cool.”

The Gophers are so locked into the moment that Hart did not know who they play next. Samedy said the undefeated record is not on their minds, and the team is still improving as it approaches the final two road trips.

All they need for the Big Ten title is 2 wins against lesser opponents (one being Rutgers). However, I suspect the Gophers want more than that. If they play their game, they'll get it, too; they have the talent. I was surprised that Hugh used only 8 players against Purdue. Not even Martin and Hansen got in. So he must've felt something special at stake on Saturday night. I thought his facial expression during the match was pretty introspective. Staying in MN was the right decision; he could have chosen the selfish route and gone to Holyoke, but he chose to give something back to his team. The same weekend he went out to be with his team, another man was apparently sitting in a hotel room in France tweeting in order to avoid going out in the rain to visit the Marine Corps grave site.

If I'm not mistaken, the last volleyball team to go undefeated in the Big Ten was Penn State in 2009. That year they went 36-0, winning the NCAA title.

If I'm not mistaken, the last volleyball team to go undefeated in the Big Ten was Penn State in 2009. That year they went 36-0, winning the NCAA title.

Didn't they even go the whole season without losing a set? Or am I imagining that?

Big weekend coming up! Can be conference champs after this weekend and the quest for 20-0 should still be intact. Tough to not lose in the B1G but its doable for this squad. Both matches are on BTN Plus.

Big weekend coming up! Can be conference champs after this weekend and the quest for 20-0 should still be intact. Tough to not lose in the B1G but its doable for this squad. Both matches are on BTN Plus.

HOPE FOR THE BEST!

This could be the night for Rutgers, down 0-2 they have forced a 5th set against Michigan State.

Well 2 sets for Rutgers might double their Big Ten Sets on the year...

Top Bottom