Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by #2Gopher View Post
    Season is just starting. Lets give it some time for this team to come together.
    Seems to be kind of a tough crowd here at gopherhole lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    Seems to be kind of a tough crowd here at gopherhole lol
    That's what happens when you get a lot of media love, have a bunch of highly rated national level recruits and openly talk about how cool it would be to make a Final Four in your backyard.

They haven't turned the necessary corner, not even close. Faded badly down the stretch last year and haven't improved from there so far this season.

Of course it's early and they still could get there. But they have shown a lot of the same problems they had last year. I would love to be wrong. And if they can discover the magic formula, I'll be more than happy to admit I'm wrong.

But based on the end of last year and what I'm seeing early this year, they're not on that level. At least not yet.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Goldy Gopher View Post
    Looks like they flew out Thursday night which isn't unusual at all. Hope they bounce back against Stanford today.

Swear it was Friday! I was wrong!! Thank you

Nonetheless, it was a non-zero factor for he Gophers over the whole weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by MRJ View Post
    In a case of being completely predictable, the ladies lost to Stanford in four. Had a chance to send it to a fifth, but collapsed (again) late in a set. Led 22-18 and lost it 25-23 to close out the match.

Any Final Four talk needs to be totally tabled. This team is nowhere near good enough for such discussion. Not sure they are even a top-15 team at the moment.
    Wayyyy overly harsh. No sir, not on board with you sandbagging the team that hard.

Stanford a legit top 5 (at least, if not better). Gophs pushed them, couldíve easily gone to 5. Set 3 was bad but the rest were very close.

Oregon could easily be a top 10 team, should be top 15 for sure. Lost all 3 sets by 2pts.

And it was across the country road trip in a hostile crowd. Thatís a non-zero factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrothgar View Post
    To Daize & MRJ: I don't know nearly enough about VB to comment on the Gophers' coaching skills or technical abilities, but since I started watching VB & the Gophers 4 years ago it seems the other teams have improved vastly, so they are equal to, or better than, the Gophers. MN has created a fan base that expects BiG and National championships, but the recruits they are bringing in are not good enough for that, IMO, or at least there are not enough of them for that. They are very good players, but not elite or world class talent, with 2 or 3 exceptions. I suspect the Gophers are being out-recruited, not out-coached.
    Donít agree with that take.

Rollins was best high school player in Texas. Samedy all-American from Florida. Hart all-American from KC.

We can and are getting final four level talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Wayyyy overly harsh. No sir, not on board with you sandbagging the team that hard.

Stanford a legit top 5 (at least, if not better). Gophs pushed them, couldíve easily gone to 5. Set 3 was bad but the rest were very close.

Oregon could easily be a top 10 team, should be top 15 for sure. Lost all 3 sets by 2pts.

And it was across the country road trip in a hostile crowd. Thatís a non-zero factor.
    If I really had to break it down, I'm most concerned about focus. They struggled with it against North Carolina and had more than a few come from ahead set losses this weekend. For me, that's the most worrying thing.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Oh yes, it should worry you. I don’t want to imply that we should ignore it.

But also think it’s wrong to say that Gophs lost them, rather than other team took them (by their own skill and strategy). Some of both, but I’m leaning more toward latter.

Minnesota swept Green Bay 18, 15, 22. The third set was a come from behind win. Hugh did some experimenting during the match. Swider played the third set posting a couple of kills and some blocks. Samedy played the first two sets hitting .500 with 7 kills. Martin came in late in the first set; but like Rollins, struggled hitting during the match. (Martin hit .067 and Rollins .038). Hart led the Gophers with 13 kills hitting .440.

The heat in the PAV must have affected the stats scoreboard which didn't begin operating until the break. Even the intro video lacked sound.

As previously noted, Pittman and Seliger-Swenson continue to connect on the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius L Hoops View Post
    Minnesota swept Green Bay 18, 15, 22. The third set was a come from behind win. Hugh did some experimenting during the match. Swider played the third set posting a couple of kills and some blocks. Samedy played the first two sets hitting .500 with 7 kills. Martin came in late in the first set; but like Rollins, struggled hitting during the match. (Martin hit .067 and Rollins .038). Hart led the Gophers with 13 kills hitting .440.

The heat in the PAV must have affected the stats scoreboard which didn't begin operating until the break. Even the intro video lacked sound.

As previously noted, Pittman and Seliger-Swenson continue to connect on the slide.
    On VT, saw someone or a couple people saying that Rollins was getting OOS sets and had to tip/push the ball over a lot, hence her low numbers. She clearly has/had beaten Martin out for H2 front-court rotations, on the west coast trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    On VT, saw someone or a couple people saying that Rollins was getting OOS sets and had to tip/push the ball over a lot, hence her low numbers. She clearly has/had beaten Martin out for H2 front-court rotations, on the west coast trip.
    Yes, Rollins was doing some clean-up ball striking. Someone's gotta do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius L Hoops View Post
    Yes, Rollins was doing some clean-up ball striking. Someone's gotta do it.
    Do those strikes and OOS tips count against her? Seems to me those things should be seen as pluses if she's covering up for others' mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrothgar View Post
    Do those strikes and OOS tips count against her? Seems to me those things should be seen as pluses if she's covering up for others' mistakes.
    I agree, if the set is obviously not a good one it shouldn't count against the hitter.

Similarly (though reversed in a sense), I always feel like drops/tips/touches by a receiver in football shouldn't count as an incompletion for the QB.

Wise choice to cancel tonight's match. The A/C can't come soon enough. Just getting water to the Bank was apparently an overwhelming challenge.

https://gophersports.com/news/2018/9...cancelled.aspx

After considering a number of options to reschedule the volleyball match between the University of Minnesota and Kansas State, it has been determined that this match will be cancelled and will not be rescheduled. It was originally announced that this match was postponed, but now it has been cancelled.

Fans with tickets for tonight's match will be able to exchange their tickets for another regular season home match in 2018, subject to availability.

Brutal temps in there I heard.

Absolutely stupid that the place never had A/C before. Title IX lawsuit worthy ...