Funny quote from Pitino on an interaction with a fan

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Lol! Not quite time to offer condolences ;). I can only imagine the advice he's getting at the grocery store, lol.

That's better than the treatment he gets on GH from all the " experts "

He's right. They're 9-3.

He has a supremely talented team that's beaten 7 bad teams, nearly dropping one at home to Drake most recently. They nearly blew a big lead to drop a game against a team playing with 3 guys. They've been embarrassed by Arkansas and Nebraska and plummeted out of the national rankings in a matter of days. The prized recruit and social media superstar from NYC has looked like he's new to organized team basketball. Mason, the team leader, has been going off the rails as well.

Let's not try and pretend, with this team's talent and expectations, that things are going well. He got his pat on the back last year for having a pretty good season before getting bounced by a mid-major. Those laurels from last year won't be comfy to rest on for much longer. Now, it's time to take the next step.

Instead of his condescending, "those dumb fans don't know what they're talking about," attitude, maybe he should show some gratitude for someone relaying that they still believe in him and his team during a putrid stretch of basketball.

Am I missing something here?

Pitino is a funny guy, no doubt about that.

But we've lost 3 games (2 of them in uncompetitive fashion) and should've lost another to f'ing Drake. The start to the season has been disappointing by pretty much any measurement.

Looks like we're counting "Should've Lost Games" now. Zeppelin, shouldn't you add Alabama to that too. So now we're technically 7-3-2. But Miami could have been an almost win, so maybe we're 7-2-2-1. It's so hard to keep up with what games count and don't count as wins and losses...

Looks like we're counting "Should've Lost Games" now. Zeppelin, shouldn't you add Alabama to that too. So now we're technically 7-3-2. But Miami could have been an almost win, so maybe we're 7-2-2-1. It's so hard to keep up with what games count and don't count as wins and losses...

OK, should I have said "totally unimpressive and uninspiring win over f'ing Drake?

+1

Am I missing something here?

Pitino is a funny guy, no doubt about that.

But we've lost 3 games (2 of them in uncompetitive fashion) and should've lost another to f'ing Drake. The start to the season has been disappointing by pretty much any measurement.

I guess i am missing something here. The game is most likely to sophisticated for you, its about entertainment, the journey vs the destination? Yes? We still have to play the games. Now we get to see how our coaches handle these young kids and your expectations. I don't recall Pitino ever claiming they should have been ranked 14th in the country. We have a fun team to watch, we have coaches that play a style that is fun to watch. This is a huge improvement over most of the teams going back to Clem. Don't worry, be happy. If the games are to stressful for you to watch, maybe some of us could get together and buy you a trophy. This way you could bypass all this agony and not have to tolerate the drama of that which is sports.

OK, should I have said "totally unimpressive and uninspiring win over f'ing Drake?
I'm not sure what your criteria is, but does that make our 22-point win over Rutgers "Totally Impressive and Inspiring"? Rutgers lost to now #24 FSU by 5, lost to MSU by 10, and beat #15 Seton Hall. Or are you only looking for ways to count more "losses"?

I'm not sure what your criteria is, but does that make our 22-point win over Rutgers "Totally Impressive and Inspiring"? Rutgers lost to now #24 FSU by 5, lost to MSU by 10, and beat #15 Seton Hall. Or are you only looking for ways to count more "losses"?

I have no clue why you're trying to compare those games.

It's OK to admit that we were lucky to beat Drake and played terribly that night, even Pitino said as much.

It's OK to admit that we were lucky to beat Drake and played terribly that night, even Pitino said as much.

Playing terribly and still winning is a nice skill to have.

He's right. They're 9-3.

He has a supremely talented team that's beaten 7 bad teams, nearly dropping one at home to Drake most recently. They nearly blew a big lead to drop a game against a team playing with 3 guys. They've been embarrassed by Arkansas and Nebraska and plummeted out of the national rankings in a matter of days. The prized recruit and social media superstar from NYC has looked like he's new to organized team basketball. Mason, the team leader, has been going off the rails as well.

Let's not try and pretend, with this team's talent and expectations, that things are going well. He got his pat on the back last year for having a pretty good season before getting bounced by a mid-major. Those laurels from last year won't be comfy to rest on for much longer. Now, it's time to take the next step.

Instead of his condescending, "those dumb fans don't know what they're talking about," attitude, maybe he should show some gratitude for someone relaying that they still believe in him and his team during a putrid stretch of basketball.

Why?

My favorite post in quite some time. W & L just doesnt capture the complexity and nuances of the season.

While the Gophers clearly played poorly, I wouldn't call the win over Drake "lucky" by any stretch of the imagination. They played great D the final 10 minutes and were leading by 6 with 10 seconds left.

Top Bottom