Nebraska Adds 6 Games to Future Schedule

Iceland12

Reaction score
Hopefully they can win some of these.

The Nebraska Cornhuskers have added six games to their future football schedules, the school announced on Wednesday.

Nebraska has added a single home game against the Georgia Southern Eagles. The game is set for Sept. 10, 2022 at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln.

The 2022 contest between Nebraska and Georgia Southern will be their first-ever meeting on the gridiron.

Nebraska has also added future football games with the South Dakota State Jackrabbits and the North Dakota Fighting Hawks. Dates for these games are listed below:

South Dakota State – Sept 12, 2020; Aug. 31, 2024; Sept. 9, 2028
North Dakota – Sept. 3, 2022; Sept. 19, 2026

The Cornhuskers are 3-0 all-time against South Dakota State and 1-0 against North Dakota.

http://www.fbschedules.com/2017/12/nebraska-six-games-future-football-schedules/

Well, let's look at it this way:

In the end, it all comes down to wins and losses. The more games a team wins, the better it looks to most fans. Yes, some hard-core fans may quibble about a weak non-conference schedule, but to most fans, a win is a win. Win enough games, the coach keeps his job, and maybe gets an extension and a raise. Don't win enough games, the coach gets fired.

The only way this really hurts Nebraska is if - in some future season - they go 12-0 or 11-1 and do not make the playoffs based on a low strength of schedule.

Or, I suppose, if fans don't buy tickets to the home non-conference games.

But, pending those outcomes, there is no real downside to playing a weak non-conf schedule - as long as you win those games. If you schedule cupcakes and lose, that's trouble. With a capital T. cue the music.

After losing to the Jackrabbits I never diss that program.

Will always remember them doing the team photo at the end of the game in front of the TCF big scoreboard. It was their Super Bowl.

Will always remember them doing the team photo at the end of the game in front of the TCF big scoreboard. It was their Super Bowl.

We beat the Jackrabbits! It’s the Coyotes we fear.

I see they avoided the Bizon. [emoji12]
They must not want to play the big boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Dakota State I could see, but North Dakota? Also, the PC crowd stripped ND of their "Fighting Sioux" name which they'd had forever. Now they are the "Fighting Hawks."

North Dakota State I could see, but North Dakota? Also, the PC crowd stripped ND of their "Fighting Sioux" name which they'd had forever. Now they are the "Fighting Hawks."

The opposite of what you said is true.

Nobody should ever play NDSU. You gain nothing from beating either team but at least the team from Grand Forks has a 0% chance of beating you.

That is chicken scheduling, proves nothing, cheap wins. I don't know who else they are scheduling, but in the day they scheduled teams like USC, Penn State, UCLA. And they want to return to those days you have to play the best. Teams that are chasing the title are evaluated by strength of schedule. This is truly a step in the wrong direction. They should bring back some Big 8 teams play Colorado, play Kansas State, Play Missouri, Play Oklahoma, Play Oklahoma State.

Well, let's look at it this way:

In the end, it all comes down to wins and losses. The more games a team wins, the better it looks to most fans. Yes, some hard-core fans may quibble about a weak non-conference schedule, but to most fans, a win is a win. Win enough games, the coach keeps his job, and maybe gets an extension and a raise. Don't win enough games, the coach gets fired.

The only way this really hurts Nebraska is if - in some future season - they go 12-0 or 11-1 and do not make the playoffs based on a low strength of schedule.

Or, I suppose, if fans don't buy tickets to the home non-conference games.

But, pending those outcomes, there is no real downside to playing a weak non-conf schedule - as long as you win those games. If you schedule cupcakes and lose, that's trouble. With a capital T. cue the music.

This is a disservice to your football team. You cannot get better playing lousy teams. You just develop bad habits and lazy preparation. If you gotta schedule these teams to get to 6 wins you shouldn't be coaching the team. If I'm a recruit, would I rather play for a team that travels to play a power 5 team on a home and home rather than bide my time until we play a conference game against Michigan or Ohio St etc There's no urgency to prepare in the off season. When we played TCU game one... there was urgency, anticipation and guys busted their fannies all off season to prepare.

I get what you are saying SON and their is truth in it but it's the wrong way to look at if you are coach or AD imo

Their power 5 non-conference games are Colorado x2 and Oklahoma x2 over the next 5 seasons. They play Cincinnati in 2020 as their biggest non-conference foe.

That was the Coyotes, we beat the rabbits, granted it was a piss poor showing

The opposite of what you said is true.

Nobody should ever play NDSU. You gain nothing from beating either team but at least the team from Grand Forks has a 0% chance of beating you.

That's what Gopher fans said back in 2006, though. UND is at a similar stage in their program, and will continue to take Minnesota players that the Gophers don't want. Playing Minnesota at TCF is the Super Bowl for those players.

That's what Gopher fans said back in 2006, though. UND is at a similar stage in their program, and will continue to take Minnesota players that the Gophers don't want (*or couldn't get into school).Playing Minnesota at TCF is the Super Bowl for those players.

Which, looking back, is often the case. Also explains the paucity of D1-A, BCS, P5 or even G5 offers for many past NDSU players.

Begs the question, can a PWO get into the U with lower academic standards than a scholarship player has to get?

Which, looking back, is often the case. Also explains the paucity of D1-A, BCS, P5 or even G5 offers for many past NDSU players.

Begs the question, can a PWO get into the U with lower academic standards than a scholarship player has to get?

FCS has the exact same academic standards as FBS. DII, on the other hand, has much lower standards.

No doubt Dakota teams from the early 2000's, 90's and before benefited in that manner. Not at all today.

FCS has the exact same academic standards as FBS. DII, on the other hand, has much lower standards.

No doubt Dakota teams from the early 2000's, 90's and before benefited in that manner. Not at all today.

That would only apply if all P5 schools kept their standards at the NCAA minimum. Not sure how that could be correct. Hard to believe that Alabama, Stanford, Michigan, Western Michigan, NW, Boise State, Montana State etc, all had the same academic standards for entrance of their athletes. Private, Public, Conference etc.; there are differences and they do matter.

That would only apply if all P5 schools kept their standards at the NCAA minimum. Not sure how that could be correct. Hard to believe that Alabama, Stanford, Michigan, Western Michigan, NW, Boise State, Montana State etc, all had the same academic standards for entrance of their athletes. Private, Public, Conference etc.; there are differences and they do matter.

Stanford and NW lower the bar somewhat for athletes, but not much. That's why it is really quite impressive that they have both had some very good years recently. David Shaw probably doesn't even bother recruiting a lot of the guys Alabama gets, because even if they wanted to go to Stanford over Alabama he wouldn't be able to get most of them in. I'd be willing to bet Bama will let in any football player who meets the NCAA's minimum requirements.

Stanford and NW lower the bar somewhat for athletes, but not much. That's why it is really quite impressive that they have both had some very good years recently. David Shaw probably doesn't even bother recruiting a lot of the guys Alabama gets, because even if they wanted to go to Stanford over Alabama he wouldn't be able to get most of them in. I'd be willing to bet Bama will let in any football player who meets the NCAA's minimum requirements.

Yep. Makes it tough to believe that Minnesota, MI and Wisconsin don't have higher standards then FCS schools or many of their C5 and G5 contemporaries. Mason, Brewster and Kill had players they couldn't get into the U who got into schools elsewhere. At least 2-3 of them got into NDSU. Hell, Gary Andersen was very irritated that kids he could get into Utah, where he was an Assistant Coach, and Utah State he couldn't get into Wisconsin.

Bet that hasn't changed either.

With more conference games I expect folks to be even LESS adventurous with non conference scheduling. ... and yet I'm pretty sure Neb still has some good teams lined up anyway.

I'm not sure we should point fingers and laugh much.

That's what Gopher fans said back in 2006, though. UND is at a similar stage in their program, and will continue to take Minnesota players that the Gophers don't want. Playing Minnesota at TCF is the Super Bowl for those players.

What is your point? Are you really trying to disagree with me when I say UND is not in the same league as NDSU.

That is chicken scheduling, proves nothing, cheap wins. I don't know who else they are scheduling, but in the day they scheduled teams like USC, Penn State, UCLA. And they want to return to those days you have to play the best. Teams that are chasing the title are evaluated by strength of schedule. This is truly a step in the wrong direction. They should bring back some Big 8 teams play Colorado, play Kansas State, Play Missouri, Play Oklahoma, Play Oklahoma State.
Disageee. Kids probably shouldn’t be playing 12-14/15 games. So I have no problem if 1-2 games per year are against teams that should allow more bodies into the game.

You have a point for places like Air Force, Navy, Stanford.

But we're comparing public schools.

Guaranteed that any coach at any Big Ten public can get any player he offers a scholarship to into the school, so long as said player passes the minimum NCAA requirements for qualifying at the DI level. Guaranteed fact. Any example you come up with to the contrary, at least in the past 5 years, will have some circumstance that you're excluding for the sake of your argument.

Mason, Brewster and Kill had players they couldn't get into the U who got into schools elsewhere. At least 2-3 of them got into NDSU.

Complete and total balderdash. Challenge you to come up with actual examples.

You have a point for places like Air Force, Navy, Stanford.

But we're comparing public schools.

Guaranteed that any coach at any Big Ten public can get any player he offers a scholarship to into the school, so long as said player passes the minimum NCAA requirements for qualifying at the DI level. Guaranteed fact. Any example you come up with to the contrary, at least in the past 5 years, will have some circumstance that you're excluding for the sake of your argument.

Complete and total balderdash. Challenge you to come up with actual examples.

Well, that's not really fair to ask. For legal reasons they are not allowed to make the GPAs and test scores public, so it would be impossible to know the specifics on most kids.

Gary Andersen openly said the admissions standards at Wisconsin were a problem for him. https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-standards-pushed-gary-andersen-to-oregon-st/

Pitino couldn't get Jonathan Nwankwo in here either. He had no problem getting in at VCU so it must have been some issue on the U's end. http://www.startribune.com/jonathan-nwankwo-released-from-national-letter-of-intent/304158361/

You have a point for places like Air Force, Navy, Stanford...

Pretty farcical post you got there. ;)

Finally quit pretending to be a Gopher Fan and went all in on JV State huh? See you quit even trying on the other thread. Understandable. You aren't gonna get much roll on an NDSU board.

You had a nice run, good for you. Now people should just quit playing with you.

Well, that's not really fair to ask. For legal reasons they are not allowed to make the GPAs and test scores public, so it would be impossible to know the specifics on most kids.

Gary Andersen openly said the admissions standards at Wisconsin were a problem for him. https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-standards-pushed-gary-andersen-to-oregon-st/

Pitino couldn't get Jonathan Nwankwo in here either. He had no problem getting in at VCU so it must have been some issue on the U's end. http://www.startribune.com/jonathan-nwankwo-released-from-national-letter-of-intent/304158361/

Andersen wasn't being truthful. There isn't a single kid, whom was fully capable of passing the minimum NCAA DI qualifying requirements (which really aren't that high), that he wanted to offer scholarship to but was told by UW admin would not be allowed into the school.

For Nwankwo, the answer is plainly visible in your own link: "whose NCAA clearinghouse and admissions processes are still ongoing". That means he didn't clear it on the first attempt, and UMN admin aren't going to let a kid into school who hasn't passed the NCAA DI minimum qualifications, plain and simple. And which is correct, frankly.

Pretty farcical post you got there.

Glad you agree that the U of Minn will let any high school football player in the country who signs an NLI and passes the NCAA DI qualifying minimum standards, into the school.

That's correct, and is also correct at Wisconsin and Michigan.

Andersen wasn't being truthful. There isn't a single kid, whom was fully capable of passing the minimum NCAA DI qualifying requirements (which really aren't that high), that he wanted to offer scholarship to but was told by UW admin would not be allowed into the school.

For Nwankwo, the answer is plainly visible in your own link: "whose NCAA clearinghouse and admissions processes are still ongoing". That means he didn't clear it on the first attempt, and UMN admin aren't going to let a kid into school who hasn't passed the NCAA DI minimum qualifications, plain and simple. And which is correct, frankly.

Glad you agree that the U of Minn will let any high school football player in the country who signs an NLI and passes the NCAA DI qualifying minimum standards, into the school.

That's correct, and is also correct at Wisconsin and Michigan.

How do you know he wasn't being truthful? Do you know him personally? Or just because it doesn't fit the narrative that anyone can get in? I don't see why he would lie about that.

And Nwankwo was cleared by the NCAA, it just took some time. He went to VCU. At the very least the U was not willing to work with someone who was a borderline qualifier.

Top Bottom