STrib: One-on-one with Gophers forward Jordan Murphy

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

Q: What's the personality of this year's team?

A: I don't think we have one yet. It's not defined. We have a bunch of personalities on the team, but I don't think we have that one defined personality. We have a bunch of good guys that want to work hard, and we know what we have to do. That's one of the most important things.

Q: Not everybody here went through the struggle you saw two years ago. How much more does that make you appreciate where this program is now?

A: It makes me appreciate this a lot more. I've lost 24 games in a season. That's not exactly common. We have to improve off each loss, but I can't panic because I've been in a situation where it's been far, far worse.

Q: Whatever the low point of your time here was, what was going through your head then?

A: Just that it was time to get back in the gym and work harder. When things happen, you just have keep your head down and make sure you're working on your game.

Q: What have you added to your game so far this year?

A: For sure trying to stay out of foul trouble and rebounding. I'm trying to improve my all-around game and making sure my mentality is right. There are a lot of mental things I've been trying to work on.

Q: You talked about swagger. There is a freshman on the team, Isaiah Washington, who doesn't lack it. You were a freshman once. What do you tell him?

A: I tell him all the time just find the moments where you can let that stuff out at appropriate times. There are definitely times in games when you can find an outlet for that swagger, but you can't let it consume your whole game. That's just something he needs to balance. I think he's doing a better job of doing that.

Q: Is that a hard thing to learn?

A: For sure. It took me a while to adjust, and it was something I had to think about and make a conscious effort to do.

http://www.startribune.com/one-on-one-with-gophers-forward-jordan-murphy/464653873/

Go Gophers!!

I see there was some discussion in regards to balancing overconfidence with swagger, to which I will simply reply with this: What gives these guys the right to be overconfident about anything?

Good lord, we're two years removed from being an awful team and a lot of these guys were on that team. If they really are having trouble working through being overconfident and having too much swagger, there's a serious problem here. We've already seen it over the past three or four games. They've somehow gotten it squarely into their skulls that it's okay to simply show up and expect to win.

Pathetic if that's the case. I'm all for having confidence. But over-confidence? After where this program has been? What utter crap. I'll say it again, time to grow up and start earning your plaudits. Either you put forth the effort needed or you don't. These guys haven't done so for the better part of three weeks and it's a really sad commentary if this is a large issue with this team.

I see there was some discussion in regards to balancing overconfidence with swagger, to which I will simply reply with this: What gives these guys the right to be overconfident about anything?

Good lord, we're two years removed from being an awful team and a lot of these guys were on that team. If they really are having trouble working through being overconfident and having too much swagger, there's a serious problem here. We've already seen it over the past three or four games. They've somehow gotten it squarely into their skulls that it's okay to simply show up and expect to win.

Pathetic if that's the case. I'm all for having confidence. But over-confidence? After where this program has been? What utter crap. I'll say it again, time to grow up and start earning your plaudits. Either you put forth the effort needed or you don't. These guys haven't done so for the better part of three weeks and it's a really sad commentary if this is a large issue with this team.

I think every team deals with that at some point in a season. A great example of that is Florida losing to Loyola-Chicago at home while beating a good Gonzaga team and pushing Duke to the last second prior to that, Duke lost to Boston College, Notre Dame lost to Ball State, Kansas lost to a bad Washington team, Arizona lost every game in the Bahamas and the list goes on. Overconfidence happens all over college basketball because these guys aren't pros. Arizona State went into Allen Fieldhouse and beat Kansas then come home and struggle with Vandy. Everybody deals with it. More specially in the Gophers case they haven't dealt with high expectations as the program hasn't been in this position in awhile. When people are calling this group a Final Four contender after 5 or so games it's going to go to their heads because they haven't gone through that. It's a good learning experience for them and they'll be better because of it.

I think every team deals with that at some point in a season. A great example of that is Florida losing to Loyola-Chicago at home while beating a good Gonzaga team and pushing Duke to the last second prior to that, Duke lost to Boston College, Notre Dame lost to Ball State, Kansas lost to a bad Washington team, Arizona lost every game in the Bahamas and the list goes on. Overconfidence happens all over college basketball because these guys aren't pros. Arizona State went into Allen Fieldhouse and beat Kansas then come home and struggle with Vandy. Everybody deals with it. More specially in the Gophers case they haven't dealt with high expectations as the program hasn't been in this position in awhile. When people are calling this group a Final Four contender after 5 or so games it's going to go to their heads because they haven't gone through that. It's a good learning experience for them and they'll be better because of it.

I get it, it's human nature at a certain point. However, if this team really is serious about achieving at a high level, they need to get over it and quickly. If we see more of the same coming out of the break, hold on for the fall. I'm just hoping they learn this lesson before things spiral on them.

I get it, it's human nature at a certain point. However, if this team really is serious about achieving at a high level, they need to get over it and quickly. If we see more of the same coming out of the break, hold on for the fall. I'm just hoping they learn this lesson before things spiral on them.

A lot of this group has been backed into a corner before when they lost 5 straight in the middle of conference play last year and bounced back. They know what they have to do. They'll be alright.

A lot of this group has been backed into a corner before when they lost 5 straight in the middle of conference play last year and bounced back. They know what they have to do. They'll be alright.
I certainly hope so...

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Yep, they're just "kids" after all, right?

How dare they have confidence with an all conference first, third reamer, all frosh and preseason all conference pick, the returning DPOY for the league. HOW DARE THEE!!!!!!!

How dare they have confidence with an all conference first, third reamer, all frosh and preseason all conference pick, the returning DPOY for the league. HOW DARE THEE!!!!!!!
Didn't read the part about confidence versus over confidence I see. Oh well, some points are apparently lost in translation.

Let me explain it in another way: Nobody on this team has achieved enough to be over confident about playing and beating anybody. The fact they thought so means they need to grow up a bit. Confidence is one thing. Over confidence is another.

And over confidence has been a big problem of late.

Didn't read the part about confidence versus over confidence I see. Oh well, some points are apparently lost in translation.

Let me explain it in another way: Nobody on this team has achieved enough to be over confident about playing and beating anybody. The fact they thought so means they need to grow up a bit. Confidence is one thing. Over confidence is another.

And over confidence has been a big problem of late.

How do you know this?

I love this back and forth about "over" confidence. Sometimes you lose to a team regardless of confidence level, some nights you just suck. The Gophers have sucked a couple times of late. That doesn't mean they'll continue to suck. Nor does it mean that they are/were over confident. If you feel it's appropriate to parse Jordan Murphy's words from an interview that he probably answered in his stream of consciousness, you just might have too much time on your hands.

It's funny that he says he has worked on rebounding and staying out of trouble this year.

I assume he worked on every part of his game but to me the two most noticeable areas of improvement are his ball handling and free throws. Last year I was terrified every time he took a dribble but now one of his most effective moves is taking someone off the dribble from the top of the key.

If Murphy improves as much from Jr to Sr year as he did from So to Jr year he is going to be Glenn Robinson next year.

How do you know this?
Obviously, I could be wrong. But getting consistently out-hustled game after game doesn't exactly indicate their heads are in the right place.

I love this back and forth about "over" confidence. Sometimes you lose to a team regardless of confidence level, some nights you just suck. The Gophers have sucked a couple times of late. That doesn't mean they'll continue to suck. Nor does it mean that they are/were over confident. If you feel it's appropriate to parse Jordan Murphy's words from an interview that he probably answered in his stream of consciousness, you just might have too much time on your hands.
Yeah, that must be it. You're right. All that pouting both on the court and on the bench isn't an indication of anything other than sucking for the few weeks. Carry on.

What a neurotic and presumptuous post. Chill. We'll be fine. There are ups and downs for every team.

Yeah, that must be it. You're right. All that pouting both on the court and on the bench isn't an indication of anything other than sucking for the few weeks. Carry on.

I don't think I proclaimed to be "right" about anything. Also, I'm not sure where you're getting this on court pouting from. Have you watched any other sports team play? I mean... ever?? How did the Cincinnati Bengals look to you on Sunday? They were getting it handed to them, and I guess it looked like they were "pouting" too. Those professional athletes pouting, how embarrassing. Yes, that must be it. You're right. It must be that the Gophers are an exceptionally pathetic team for displaying anything less than sheer enthusiasm when things have gone into a tail-spin. I mean, for God's sake, if they just stopped pouting they would never lose again! You know what, we should call Richard and have him mention to the squad that they just need to stop pouting! Eureka, we've done it! I mean, it's probably not the fact that our front court effectively fouled out in the first three minutes of both of the first halves of the games they lost. I mean, I'll just be honest here, if I was sitting on the bench watching Gaston get posterized repeatedly I wouldn't be pouting, I'd be shedding frigging tears of sorrow.

In summary, it's probably the fact that our bench has performed with complete and utter shameful displays of inability. Annnnnnd, it probably has less to do with a few players getting periodically frustrated and "pouting". Which for the record, I've barely noticed at all, and I haven't missed a minute.

What a neurotic and presumptuous post. Chill. We'll be fine. There are ups and downs for every team.
People on this very forum were saying these guys were feeling too much pressure because they were ranked. Too much pressure? After all the talk about challenging for the conference title? If that's too much pressure, than this is going to be a long season and not anywhere near where we all thought.

On top of that, now we have guys who are apparenty having to balance their over confidence and swagger. Swagger? After how they performed before the break? Give me a break. Just get back to playing hard and not getting out-hustled consistently and things will turn around. If not, expect more of the same.

But it wasn't just one game. Or two games. Or three games. It was/has been four games in a row where the opposition appeared more engaged and worked harder. That's a pattern and should be worrying one. Maybe Jordan was simply responding to the question, but if they're really thinking balancing swagger is a big issue, that's a big warning sign. If you don't feel the same way, fine. But to me, it's a big red flag.

I don't think I proclaimed to be "right" about anything. Also, I'm not sure where you're getting this on court pouting from. Have you watched any other sports team play? I mean... ever?? How did the Cincinnati Bengals look to you on Sunday? They were getting it handed to them, and I guess it looked like they were "pouting" too. Those professional athletes pouting, how embarrassing. Yes, that must be it. You're right. It must be that the Gophers are an exceptionally pathetic team for displaying anything less than sheer enthusiasm when things have gone into a tail-spin. I mean, for God's sake, if they just stopped pouting they would never lose again! You know what, we should call Richard and have him mention to the squad that they just need to stop pouting! Eureka, we've done it! I mean, it's probably not the fact that our front court effectively fouled out in the first three minutes of both of the first halves of the games they lost. I mean, I'll just be honest here, if I was sitting on the bench watching Gaston get posterized repeatedly I wouldn't be pouting, I'd be shedding frigging tears of sorrow.

In summary, it's probably the fact that our bench has performed with complete and utter shameful displays of inability. Annnnnnd, it probably has less to do with a few players getting periodically frustrated and "pouting". Which for the record, I've barely noticed at all, and I haven't missed a minute.
Obviously, you haven't been keeping much watch of Amir, Nate, Reggie and some of the other guys then. Their body language has been flat terrible in those four games I mentioned earlier. They've hanged their heads consistently whenever things have gone wrong. In one sequence alone against Drake, I saw Mason miss a shot, slump his shoulders like "poor me" and then let the opposing guard run by him like he was standing still which led to an easy two on the other end. Amir has done it several times throughout the season. Reggie has also.

If you actually think that I was implying that if guys stop pouting, they'll all of the sudden start winning, you're truly not getting it. Just start playing hard, out-working the opposition, and get over it when aren't going your way. When they do that, I'll accept talk of over confidence and swagger. Right now? No way.

mrj is going to defend his take til he's blue in the face it appears. rock on bro!!

mrj is going to defend his take til he's blue in the face it appears. rock on bro!!
Not defending anything. Just clarifyng my point of view. You don't have to agree.

This is why we hire coaches. These kids are very big fish in very small ponds when they come here. You don't want to take that all away from them when they get here. These a young kids not pro's. We want to see their talent on display. Like when Mason gave the 'look off' to that Alabama kid and buried the Three. Have you ever been able to do something like that on a big stage? Probably not. Confidence is in a state of ebb and flow, highs and lows. Go back to the Miami game. We were short handed, Pitino used that game to humble Washington. If he would have put any other player in, we would have probably won. He let Washington bomb 17 shots or so with no success. I don't recall him saying anything on the floor to him to stop the bleeding. Pitino builds them up. By the way, how do you like the way Pitino handled low motor Murph.

Top Bottom