Gophers 10th Football Assistant Coach Hire January 9, 2018

60's Guy

Reaction score
Jan. 9th (only about 3 weeks away) NCAA football teams can hire a 10th assistant coach. I may have missed it? But, I have not seen any talk or discussion about who we have hired or are considering? Speculation was that Mike Sherels would be the guy? Was there a story in which he said he was not a candidate or did I dream it or was that only about being on staff this past season? Does it seem likely a linebackers coach is the position assignment most likely to be filled?

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/4/14/15266234/ncaa-10th-assistant-coach-rule-january-2018

https://twitter.com/mikesherels?lang=en

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2017/1/16/14285186/mike-sherels-is-no-longer-a-minnesota-football-coach-but-we-think-that-will-change

I wish Mike Sherels much happiness in his future as he tries to maintain a modicum of health and a "normal" life. One of my favorite players, and his pick against Iowa is in my top 10 plays I witnessed in person.

As of now it sounds like it will be Joe Rossi. He is currently a quality control coach but he was brought in with the understanding when the NCAA approved the 10th assistant he would be it. He was the DC at Rutgers for 14-15 and the special teams coordinator for 12-13. Believe the plan is for him to coach the LBs and allow Smith to just focus on the DC position.

What is Mike Sherels up to? Is he working anywhere? I am glad to see him enjoy things like fishing. I miss him as a coach.

As of now it sounds like it will be Joe Rossi. He is currently a quality control coach but he was brought in with the understanding when the NCAA approved the 10th assistant he would be it. He was the DC at Rutgers for 14-15 and the special teams coordinator for 12-13. Believe the plan is for him to coach the LBs and allow Smith to just focus on the DC position.
Thanks

I would think that Sherels would need to do something for employment at some point. Perhaps Sherels would move in to a lesser position (if it is) such as quality control coach and then move up eventually as health allows.

Mike's a great guy, I hope he is doing well.

The coach has to be whomever PJ wants.

I would think that Sherels would need to do something for employment at some point. Perhaps Sherels would move in to a lesser position (if it is) such as quality control coach and then move up eventually as health allows.

Not necessarily. He's likely on long term disability insurance, which if even average, can pay out until he's to retirement age.

It's a horrifying condition. If he is never going to be able to eat solid food, he may never be healthy enough to work again. The energy level can often never be met. Awful.

Not necessarily. He's likely on long term disability insurance, which if even average, can pay out until he's to retirement age.

It's a horrifying condition. If he is never going to be able to eat solid food, he may never be healthy enough to work again. The energy level can often never be met. Awful.

Wow...didn't realize that he still couldn't eat solid food along with the other side affects that is hindering him. Stay on the long term disability insurance and stay healthy the best you can is my advice.

Sherels was an excellent LB coach and a very solid recruiter. He'd be a great addition if healthy enough to work

Top Bottom