Vic Viramontes was rowing long before the Gophers came calling

You tell us. You have all the answers.

OK. Yes, coaches should adjust their schemes to best fit the talent they have. Hey, I do have the answer. Thanks Rickman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK. Yes, coaches should adjust their schemes to best fit the talent they have. Hey, I do have the answer. Thanks Rickman.

I think it depends on what you mean by talent...:rolleyes:...talent, "talent", talent*...?

You're welcome. See, that wasn't so difficult was it.

If VV is indeed a legitimate run threat and an average passer, I look forward to him extending plays and finding receivers wide open all over the field.

I think MG5 is/was a fantastic athlete. Great team player with a terrific attitude who can do a lot of different things.

Part of me agrees with your statement, but then I ask - <b>how could they have used him differently? </b>Should they have moved him to WR immediately? Played him at TE? I think we saw enough of him as a QB to know what he could do there. He was ok but not a game breaker as a QB.

Anything to get the ball in his hands more. Anything. And flea-flickers.

The depth behind VV will be exactly the same as what was behind Demry except replace Rhoda with FR PWO Annexstad and add a year of practice to the others.
They were a 50/50 run-pass offense at WMU, but the run part was done by the RB’s. The QB was used to read the D to pull the ball and throw, not pull the ball and run.

Depth was probably the wrong word. More like confidence in the backup. If Morgan looks good and is someone the coaches are confident in, then it's easier to risk injury with your starter.

WMU ran the ball 63% of the time in 2016.

Draftable seniors

Back down that rabbit hole? You'll take that as the measure over wins? North Carolina and Pitt had more draft picks in 2017 than Auburn, Fla St, and Oklahoma. Cal is routinely in the top 15 colleges having NFL players.

Go look at their numbers. Gray averaged 5 yards, had over 1700 yards rushing, and scored more TD rushing than passing. 2011 he was QB for the season. Leidner had 1500 yards and 33 TD rushing. I would argue that if both had been average passing threats coupled with those rushing numbers, Gophs would have had more wins in that stretch, given the number of close games played.

The post was QBs who cause defenses trouble when they run, not dynamic. I would say both caused defenses trouble because they could run...would have been more so if they were better passers.

Gray probabbly would have done better if they didn't run that stupid play where Gray follows the RB to the same hole ... because I guess we want trick the linebackers ... right were we're going to run... eventually.

Back down that rabbit hole? You'll take that as the measure over wins? North Carolina and Pitt had more draft picks in 2017 than Auburn, Fla St, and Oklahoma. Cal is routinely in the top 15 colleges having NFL players.

No, that was a sarcastic response. Forget to put something after it

If VV is indeed a legitimate run threat and an average passer, I look forward to him extending plays and finding receivers wide open all over the field.

If he's an average passer, those open receivers will be missed by his passes as much as they will be on target, thus negating his ability to extend plays.

If he's an average passer, those open receivers will be missed by his passes as much as they will be on target, thus negating his ability to extend plays.

I think the idea is if he can extend the play, receivers will be more open, thus making it an easier pass to complete. You won't have to rely on the perfect pass in double coverage.

If this is the reaction when Vic attempts to record himself making a snow angel, I hope he never ever does it again.

I guess it's harder to assimilate a post for some, thanks for the clarification!

Vic Viramontes sounds like he should be at Rutgers.... but I'm glad he's coming here.

Of course there are always a few outliers...

I'll take a team that has 10 seniors that will be drafted, you can have one that has none. I bet I win 90% of the time...

Because average passers only complete 50% of their passes?

Because average passers only complete 50% of their passes?

FWIW - Judging from the NCAA stats, average completion percentage is probably in the upper 50's for all NCAA quarterbacks. 60% puts you in the top 50. 53% is top 100. Baker Mayfield had a 70% completion percentage. Darnold and Rosen (other projected top QBs) were 63%.

For the NFL, average looks to be in the low 60s (maybe 63-64).

FWIW - Judging from the NCAA stats, average completion percentage is probably in the upper 50's for all NCAA quarterbacks. 60% puts you in the top 50. 53% is top 100. Baker Mayfield had a 70% completion percentage. Darnold and Rosen (other projected top QBs) were 63%.

But that's 50-some% of ALL passes. That includes the 50 yard bomb, passes into double/triple coverage late in the game when behind, Hail Marys, throws intentionally out of bounds, clocking the ball, etc. Throws to an open guy 10 yards downfield are probably more like 75-80%. That's the huge problem the Gophers had last year (and most of this century). I bet they were less than 50% on THOSE types of passes last year. If VV can truly be average on that type of pass, this team can be much improved.

70% seems bonkers .... you'd think you'd be scoring on almost every drive.

But that's 50-some% of ALL passes. That includes the 50 yard bomb, passes into double/triple coverage late in the game when behind, Hail Marys, throws intentionally out of bounds, clocking the ball, etc. Throws to an open guy 10 yards downfield are probably more like 75-80%. That's the huge problem the Gophers had last year (and most of this century). I bet they were less than 50% on THOSE types of passes last year. If VV can truly be average on that type of pass, this team can be much improved.

I'll bet you are wrong.

Here's the funny thing. A guy completes 18 of 30 passes for 225 yards, no picks. Is that a good day or a great day? Statistically, it's a great day for college QB (123), pretty average for a pro (83). The average college fan expects their QB to be a pro and will bitch about the 12 incompletions.

In that same scenario, the difference between a 50% passer and a 60% passer is 3 completions. Joe Namath was an absolute sh!t quarterback, but every one loved him because he made one prediction and it came true. It's the ONLY reason he's in the HOF. It's more a love/hate/tolerance thing--and winning--than a statistical one...

I partially agree with you. Last year's QB situation was truly a worst case scenario. I highly doubt we'll ever see QBs that bad again in our lifetime. I doubt they were under 50% on short passes though. Overall brutal though.

I partially agree with you. Last year's QB situation was truly a worst case scenario. I highly doubt we'll ever see QBs that bad again in our lifetime. I doubt they were under 50% on short passes though. Overall brutal though.

I still think WRs were a bigger problem than the QB last year. Although they'll be young, we'll actually have WRs who can catch something that hits their hands this year.

I'll bet you are wrong.

Here's the funny thing. A guy completes 18 of 30 passes for 225 yards, no picks. Is that a good day or a great day? Statistically, it's a great day for college QB (123), pretty average for a pro (83). The average college fan expects their QB to be a pro and will bitch about the 12 incompletions.

In that same scenario, the difference between a 50% passer and a 60% passer is 3 completions. Joe Namath was an absolute sh!t quarterback, but every one loved him because he made one prediction and it came true. It's the ONLY reason he's in the HOF. It's more a love/hate/tolerance thing--and winning--than a statistical one...

Listen, I've told you guys a MILLION times I never exaggerate... :) I would agree with Highway man on Namath - possibly the most overrated pro QB ever.

Point is, regardless of the actual number, too many uncontested open passes were not completed last year. If Croft had trouble finding receivers in a blitz, I could deal with that. Or if receivers couldn't get open I could deal with that. But the number of balls that hit guys in the hands and fell to the ground and the number of passes that were not even close to the receivers on plays where there wasn't much pressure or coverage was beyond frustrating. And I think well above average in NCAA.

I still think WRs were a bigger problem than the QB last year. Although they'll be young, we'll actually have WRs who can catch something that hits their hands this year.

I bounced back and forth on whether the QB or WR was worse last year. I'm not sure which way I lean now. Both were awful. Some of the passes Croft threw I couldn't even figure out who he was looking at. But some of the dropped passes were just terrible. As far as the bold statement, I hope you're right, but remember everyone said the QB play would be better last year than 2016 because it couldn't be worse than Leidner... As a friend of mine once said, things can always get worse. They can't always get better, but they can always get worse.

ML7 2016 was not good. Statistically or otherwise. Great intangibles, leadership etc bit let’s not get carried away.

There is no question in my mind there were FAR more bad drops in 2017 that 2016. Let’s face it, both seasons were an abomination in terms of the air attack. Good defense and irrationally good rushing performances from Rod Smith despite abdurdly plus boxes made the difference in 2016.

We need a good (and preferably battle-tested) QB with preferably dual-threat ability, we need receivers and a pass-catching TE, and we need a good line and run game. Team game. It’s a lot to ask for.

Top Bottom