Pioneer Press: UMN regents approve one-year extension for football coach PJ Fleck

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Verges:

Football coach PJ Fleck’s one-year contract extension won unanimous approval Thursday from the University of Minnesota’s Board of Regents.

Fleck was hired in January on a five-year contract that started at $3.5 million with annual increases of $50,000 through 2021. The extension keeps him under contract through 2022, when he’s set to make $3.75 million.

“We felt it was important after this first season to show our commitment to Coach Fleck,” athletics director Mark Coyle said.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/12/1...e-year-extension-for-football-coach-pj-fleck/

Go Gophers!!

Wish they would have increased the buyout, but maybe that's a negotiation for after a few years when he proves himself.

More private airplane miles.

Good for PJ.

Wonder if they got in language about filling up the Rent-a-car gas tanks? :rolleyes:

Most Regents and Board Members will follow the lead of the President without much question. They don't know what they don't know, as Glen Mason would say.
In the end, this extension is a moot issue as long as Fleck produces a winning team. If he does, we get him for cheaper than if we waited to renew a contract. If he performs a "Brewster" then the cost is offset by the fact that Coyle will be jettisoned along with Fleck.

Most Regents and Board Members will follow the lead of the President without much question.

In case you didn't know, the Regents are the President's bosses, so he's following their lead more than anything.

The same can be said for the president to the athletic director. But the point was/is, when the boss isn't an expert then one of the direct reports is going to be consulted.

In case you didn't know, the Regents are the President's bosses, so he's following their lead more than anything.
Sure...just like a school board is the Superintendent's boss. Most often a school board member will just accept the Super's opinion because they defer to her/him as the expert. It won't be much different, in this case, for the Regents.

Sure. Just like the Board of Directors at publicly traded companies are the boss of the CEO.

Other than usually the CEO picks the Board of Directors him/herself and they all essentially follow the CEO's lead because each member of the board have their own companies to run.

We need to try to keep our coaches long term. I know that can be hard once PJ Fleck becomes successful. Will he say no to the top ten P5 programs when they come calling? They are competing at a higher tier level than the rest of the lower tier programs.

Iowa, NW, and WI (with AD Alvarez overseeing program stability) are team ahead of MN who have coaching & system stability.

Did we fill the gap on the pay-cut he took to come here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We need to try to keep our coaches long term. I know that can be hard once PJ Fleck becomes successful. Will he say no to the top ten P5 programs when they come calling? They are competing at a higher tier level than the rest of the lower tier programs.

Iowa, NW, and WI (with AD Alvarez overseeing program stability) are team ahead of MN who have coaching & system stability.

This extension was a solution looking for a problem. If a Top 10 program really wants him, they will pay to get him regardless.

maxresdefault.jpg

No it wasn’t. When are Kaler and Coyle getting fired again???

In every job I have ever worked there has been at least one person who should have been, but never was, fired. Why should the U be any different?

View attachment 5284

Yes, it was, without doubt. Dog whistle working like a charm...

It's called an idiot whistle, we've been over this. But you'll keep downgrading everything Fleck is doing and pimp the hell out of Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa......

How does your saying go? Get I get a T.....get I get a R...can I get an O...

In every job I have ever worked there has been at least one person who should have been, but never was, fired. Why should the U be any different?

Why would they need to be fired? This is the most competent the athletic administration has been in my lifetime.

Not referring to yourself, are you?
That would be the sole constant in your sample.

Although it's very early, I have to agree with it.

And why is that - because you like the FB coach they hired? Sorry, that isn't enough for me to overlook the fact that the gents in discussion here (K&C) are dishonest, unethical, self preservation experts.

Reasonable, but Gophers lost 7 of last 9 games and went 0-70 in points in last two games. Let's hope PJ starts earning those big bucks next time out.

This extension was a solution looking for a problem. If a Top 10 program really wants him, they will pay to get him regardless.
When Gophers become a top 10 P5 school, this point disappears.:rolleyes:

If you're only working with one person who deserves to be fired, you're lucky. Usually there's more than one. they tend to congregate.

And why is that - because you like the FB coach they hired? Sorry, that isn't enough for me to overlook the fact that the gents in discussion here (K&C) are dishonest, unethical, self preservation experts.

Regardless of name, it's the first time I've seen them go out and get the coach they wanted from day one.

First time I've seen a coaching hire that well conducted here.

Administration seems to be doing what they need to make football successful.

Whether they are liars or cheats, that's found in every business. But to at least be effective would be nice.

Plenty of unethical people in business.

Top Bottom