Lunardi's Bracketology: Gophers v Syracuse in 8/9 game, winner vs #1 Nova

8-9 is about the worst possible seed.

I'll take a 5, 6, 7, 10, 11, or 12 any day of the week. No matter what the first game figures to be a tough one anyways, but if you can win it, you avoid the #1, and there's a decent chance your 4-team pod breaks wide open with an upset in the other game. And 2's are a lot more beatable than 1's in 2nd round.

About what we deserve today

Agree. Anywhere from a 7 to 10 feels right.

If Gophers aspire to be a #6 or higher they likely need to win 2 of the 3 vs. Michigan State and Purdue. Those are only games in conference season that likely would move the needle considerably. Sparty, much more so than Purdue, obviously.

I hate seeing the Gophers projected as an 8 seed, but like the others have said above, it's about what we deserve right now. The Big Ten schedule is very thin for us. We play the top four RPI teams in the Big Ten (MSU, Purdue, Michigan, and Ohio State) a grand total of five times. We also play Maryland only once. And the worst of it is we play the only Big Ten team with a RPI over 200 (Iowa) twice...

Not many opportunities left...

For a basketball program that hasn't made it to consecutive NCAA tournaments since 2009 & 2010 any seed they might get this season would be a good one.

For a basketball program that hasn't made it to consecutive NCAA tournaments since 2009 & 2010 any seed they might get this season would be a good one.

Agree...with as bad as this team has played the last few games I think they can also beat just about anyone in the country as well. We would be a very dangerous 8 or 9 seed.

I hate seeing the Gophers projected as an 8 seed, but like the others have said above, it's about what we deserve right now. The Big Ten schedule is very thin for us. We play the top four RPI teams in the Big Ten (MSU, Purdue, Michigan, and Ohio State) a grand total of five times. We also play Maryland only once. And the worst of it is we play the only Big Ten team with a RPI over 200 (Iowa) twice...

Not many opportunities left...

We aren't even halfway through the season, RPI can still change quite a bit, can't it?

We aren't even halfway through the season, RPI can still change quite a bit, can't it?

Yes, but more likely for the worse this season because there are a lot more bad teams 101+ at the bottom, and only (what appear to be) two stellar teams at the top. Lot more opportunities for bad losses than good wins.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I share this outlook. An 8-seed might be disappointing after the hype to start the season. But success breeds success, and getting to the tournament every year will help our brand and help with recruiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Won't sweat much about what the Gophers' seed will be (if they make it), but given expectations prior to the season (even without Curry) anything less than the 2nd round would be a disappointment. This squad despite minimal bench support still has the talent/pieces to be a Round of 32 team. When Curry went down I think the ceiling dropped to Sweet 16 (from Elite 8).

I'd rather be a 7 or 10 seed, but at this point, I'll be happy if we just make the tournament.

Top Bottom