Number of 1st Day signers on National Signing Day - December 20

How many Verbal Commits will sign on December 20?

• 17 or less

Votes: 2 2.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 2.1%

Votes: 6 6.3%

Votes: 3 3.1%

Votes: 4 4.2%

Votes: 4 4.2%

Votes: 13 13.5%

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • All 26

Votes: 47 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rescooter

Section 243
Reaction score
We've all been speculating on which Verbally Committed Scholorship Athletes will eventually sign with the U of M. How many of these will sign on the first day?

BONUS QUESTION: Who will be the first? My guess - Alex Reigelsperger

My gut feeling is a lot of the guys that have committed are going to sign but is gong to be really interesting to see how this goes with the early signing date. Obviously the big hope is that all the top guys in the class sign right away and are not holding out for other offers or what not.

The nice thing for coaches is that the early signing date will really let them know where players stand. If a kid is 100% committed to coming to your school and the coaching situation there is stable there is really no reason for the player not to sign.

I think it will be all 26. Also, very excited about the amount of players that will be enrolling early and participating in strength/conditioning and spring ball!

I'm under the impression that staff wants them all to sign and move onto 2019 and preparing for the Spring Ball. Probably a little nudge of "sign on the 20th or run the risk of losing your spot."

I'm under the impression that staff wants them all to sign and move onto 2019 and preparing for the Spring Ball. Probably a little nudge of "sign on the 20th or run the risk of losing your spot."

I like this take. And is probably the reason i voted for 23, I could see a few surprises, especially because i am hearing very good things and a few players might get pushed out....

I think it will be 24+ but I'm feeling optimistic today so I said all 26

I'm feeling 24+ myself, pure math says one or two will bail but I won't fall over if all 26 sign. I'm secretly hoping two of the lesser talented players decide to swap to North Dakota or something for playing time, opening us up for two higher rated guys.....but I'll work with what we have otherwise.

I'm a fan of low expectations to avoid disappointment, so I voted a small number.

I went 22, but I'm sure the plan is for all to sign.

Sign 100 of them!

The NCAA doesn't punish anyone these days anyway...

25. One of them will come down with the flu so he won't be able to sign until the 21st.

We'll get 26. It might not be the current list of 26, but if one drops out another will come in.

Dumb question, but can you sign only on this day or any day after? Is there something like a dead period between this early signing day and the traditional Feb signing day?

Dumb question, but can you sign only on this day or any day after? Is there something like a dead period between this early signing day and the traditional Feb signing day?

It is my understanding that there is a three day period for early signing. No further signing can happen until NSD in February.

I'm in the 26 group but it may not necessarily be the 26 we know have committed. There is an outside chance 28 will sign if the Gophers can push 3 to the 2016 class.

If you don’t sing during the early signing period are you really “committed” at all?

The game has changed. I think for FBS (and especially the P5 teams), the later signing period is just going to be for filling in holes that arise from surprises.

If you don’t sing during the early signing period are you really “committed” at all?

The game has changed. I think for FBS (and especially the P5 teams), the later signing period is just going to be for filling in holes that arise from surprises.

It all depends on which song you choose not to sing.

I disagree. Many of the very elite (5-star and high 4-star) hold out until the last possible week/day because they want to gather all of the data pertaining to how teams finish out the season, where their roster gaps will be, how early they will be able to play and possibly start, who will be their head coach/coordinator/position coach, where other elite recruits are going, etc., etc. Of the composite top 10 players, 6 (60%) remain uncommitted. Of the composite top 50, it's 23 (46%). Of the top 100, 34 (34%) are uncommitted. This trend follows as you continue to go down the list - lower-rated recruits are committing earlier and signing earlier because they don't have the luxury of schools waiting for them.

Many schools will be getting their best recruits in the week leading up to National Signing Day in February and on NSD itself, just as they always have.

I feel like some of these lower end 4 star guys might end up in no mans land between the mid tier schools filling up and the power houses chasing the elite. That's when a team like Illinois could come in and take a Verdis Brown I feel.

I love how Saban said that he hasn't talked to one coach who likes the early signing day. I wish the reporter would have followed up and kept on him to say exactly what coaches he has spoken too.

I love how Saban said that he hasn't talked to one coach who likes the early signing day. I wish the reporter would have followed up and kept on him to say exactly what coaches he has spoken too.

You do that and you won't be talking to Saban or his staff ever again....

If Saban doesn’t like it then somebody other than Alabama is benefiting from it. Oh poor Nick.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I disagree. Many of the very elite (5-star and high 4-star) hold out until the last possible week/day because they want to gather all of the data pertaining to how teams finish out the season, where their roster gaps will be, how early they will be able to play and possibly start, who will be their head coach/coordinator/position coach, where other elite recruits are going, etc., etc. Of the composite top 10 players, 6 (60%) remain uncommitted. Of the composite top 50, it's 23 (46%). Of the top 100, 34 (34%) are uncommitted. This trend follows as you continue to go down the list - lower-rated recruits are committing earlier and signing earlier because they don't have the luxury of schools waiting for them.

Many schools will be getting their best recruits in the week leading up to National Signing Day in February and on NSD itself, just as they always have.

From my experience it can be really hard for the 4 and 5 star to wait and decide. What happens is that there is a real find line between the school selling themselves as to facilities, coaches, football roster, fan support, etc.. and the athlete selling themselves via game film(tape/DVD), stats, grades, test scores, etc.. can the athlete wait until a school - that has what they are looking for, show a need for their talent? Obviously education has to be considered and can be the deciding factor for the player. I think it is harder for the athlete to get the offer than it is for school to get the commitment. One doesn't necessary follow the other.

Of the composite top 10 players, 6 (60%) remain uncommitted. Of the composite top 50, it's 23 (46%). Of the top 100, 34 (34%) are uncommitted. This trend follows as you continue to go down the list - lower-rated recruits are committing earlier and signing earlier because they don't have the luxury of schools waiting for them.

That’s interesting. I didn’t realize that such a high % of 5*s remain uncommitted this late in the year.

That explains why a program like Alabama wouldn’t like the early signing period. Their plan-b recruits are now more likely to be signed elsewhere by the time AL would offer.

But the early signing day seems to be great thing for a program like Minnesota.

That’s interesting. I didn’t realize that such a high % of 5*s remain uncommitted this late in the year.

That explains why a program like Alabama wouldn’t like the early signing period. Their plan-b recruits are now more likely to be signed elsewhere by the time AL would offer.

But the early signing day seems to be great thing for a program like Minnesota.

It'll slowly help to even the playing field across college football. Which is exactly why Saban hates it.

I work with Thompson-Robinson's mom http://www.dailynews.com/2017/11/21...-ucla-but-some-other-commits-on-the-fence/and even though he is "1000000000% committed," he will not sign until Feb. I guess that Bishop Gorman has a big to-do for all of their athletes that are signing in February, and he wants to be a part of that. I think that signing early and getting it out of the way would be the way to go, but I'm not a highly recruited athlete either. Edit: Don;t know where the correct link went....

I work with Thompson-Robinson's mom http://www.dailynews.com/2017/11/21...-ucla-but-some-other-commits-on-the-fence/and even though he is "1000000000% committed," he will not sign until Feb. I guess that Bishop Gorman has a big to-do for all of their athletes that are signing in February, and he wants to be a part of that. I think that signing early and getting it out of the way would be the way to go, but I'm not a highly recruited athlete either. Edit: Don;t know where the correct link went....

Whom is this suppose to reference?

Top Bottom