After quitting Minnesota football, Noah Scarver becomes dominant force on intramural

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Minnesota Daily:

Noah Scarver accomplished something many athletes dream about — he earned a spot on a Division I football team.

For Scarver, though, it was not all he thought it would be.

“I was expected to gain a bunch of weight that I didn’t want to gain. I got to the point where it felt more like a full-time job even though I wasn’t getting paid for it,” Scarver said. “I would sit there and dread every moment of being there. I needed to be done with it.”

That's when he made the decision to step down from the sport he once loved. Scarver quit the Gophers football team in early 2016 after transferring from Montana University. The former tight end said he lost a love for the game. However, Scarver did not want his sports career to end entirely.

“A bunch of my friends play intramurals and I was like, ‘I’m a competitive person and this is something competitive,'” Scarver said. “I might as well do it instead of sitting around watching other people play sports.”

Leaving football behind

Scarver announced his retirement from football in March 2016. He said football put too much stress on his body. He had been playing since elementary school.

Jennifer Scarver, Noah's mother, said she was sad when her son told her he would be retiring from football. However, she understood why Noah decided to end it.

“We always enjoyed watching him play ball, but we understood that he lost the love for the game because it had turned into so much of a business,” Jennifer Scarver said. “Going to a college where all those kids are [skilled] is a business. You have to compete with the best.”

His father, Tony Scarver, was disappointed that his son chose to retire, but like Noah's mother, he also learned to accept it.

“I watch a lot of college football. I had to deal with his decision,” Tony Scarver said. “You couldn't force him to stay if he didn't want to keep playing. It's turned out pretty well.”

Now, the former tight end has an intramural basketball team to worry about. His team is currently in the semifinals of the intramural playoffs.

http://www.mndaily.com/article/2017...-football-noah-scarver-becomes-dominant-force

Go Gophers!!

UH.

Shocker: a kid who played D1 is dominating intramural sports

Hated this kid, played him a few times and took it WAY to seriously. To the point of trash talking my team (half girls) when we were losing to a team of all guys. So much for a good spirited competitive game, I mean he sent 2 kids to the hospital in touch football...

Can't we find something else to write about besides this? lol.

Seems like an odd headline.

Similar to:
"Guy who got dumped by hot girl is crushing it at seeing naked babes on internet!"

Hated this kid, played him a few times and took it WAY to seriously. To the point of trash talking my team (half girls) when we were losing to a team of all guys. So much for a good spirited competitive game, I mean he sent 2 kids to the hospital in touch football...

I like this post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like this guy could give a little hit, but couldn't take a hit at all.

I'm with you...running into kids in the paint and acting like a jackass

Sounds like this guy could give a little hit, but couldn't take a hit at all.

My take as well. Did he think he'd be asked to play at his high school weight? Quitting football, 100% within his rights, but to then be big man on campus and talk smack during intramural? If accurate he sounds a bit like a paper tiger.

“We always enjoyed watching him play ball, but we understood that he lost the love for the game because it had turned into so much of a business,” Jennifer Scarver said. “Going to a college where all those kids are [skilled] is a business. You have to compete with the best.”

So he didn't want to compete against people who are better or as good as him. And is now "competing" against people that are not as good as him. Says all I need to know about him. SMH

Crazy to think that an athletic kid who is 6'5" 250+ could dominate on the intramural circuit. Basically he is Jordan Murphy playing against a bunch of nobodies. Not really even sure why this is worth a story but I guess it is the daily and they need to find something to cover.

Top Bottom