Health status going into spring ball

Reaction score
I know we have to get through signing day first but....

Looking forward to spring ball I am super excited to see the development of this team, we have to be anticipating going in with more healthy bodies than recent years past, correct?

Does anyone know updated statuses of Brooks, Winfield or any of the OL that missed some time?

If they've already proven to be significant contributors and starters, in both the 2016 & 2017 seasons (though perhaps limited by injuries), then I frankly don't want them to participate in spring ball. Would rather have them working on strength, conditioning, flexibility, rehab, mental aspect of the game, etc.

Spring should be able developing players that haven't had much contribution yet, and getting an early look at position battles for those positions that need to find new major contributors/starters.

IN my opinion

I can understand that. But, you do realize those reps are important for every single person on the team to get accustom to the systems of this coaching staff. According to a lot of the interviews throughout the season, only a small percentage of the offensive playbook was installed. This spring is going to be crucial in the development of the players within this scheme. I don't think if healthy, that anyone should be sitting out any reps of spring ball. It takes years to implement new offensive and defensive schemes.

Your argument is quite valid. But there is such a thing as mental reps.

Nonetheless, for new plays/playbook, it may simply require some reps (even if limited) for the vets during spring.

But usually, the major install for the plays you're going to use throughout the season comes in fall camp.

If you're not in a bowl games most injury news sort of goes on a semi official blackout until spring game time. I think that is where we are now.

This is the unreported season. Between the end of the season, each player meets with the coach and goals are set. Strength and conditioning is in full swing, with some 7 on 7. This is in full swing in January. That is why a recruit who graduates early has an additional 7 months in the program. This where gains are made in the weight room. Maybe, just maybe someone, an offensive lineman or defensive player will set a record in bench press reps, power lift. Maybe a record in the 10 yard dash or 40.

Your argument is quite valid. But there is such a thing as mental reps.

Nonetheless, for new plays/playbook, it may simply require some reps (even if limited) for the vets during spring.

But usually, the major install for the plays you're going to use throughout the season comes in fall camp.

I'm thinking that with a new quarterback most of the starters on offense will see extended action. The defensive side of the ball may see fewer reps by the starters.

Top Bottom