Becoming a Tommie: The D-I to D-III journey - The Gophers (Perra, Parks, Weber)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per TommieNews.com:

The Gophers

St. Thomas football players Jacques Perra, Josh Parks and Blake Weber were all Minnesota Golden Gophers before they became Tommies.

Perra and Parks first met during their official visit to the University of Minnesota campus, where they would later become freshman roommates. Perra committed to Jerry Kill’s Gopher team in January of 2014 and Parks followed a few weeks later.

“I was intrigued with going Division I, I’ll be honest,” Parks said. “And I wanted to compete at that level.”

Both went on to sport the maroon and gold their first year, while Weber spent the year at Rochester Community and Technical College, playing junior college football and focusing on academics so he could play in the Big Ten Conference.

“It wasn’t the best experience, but I got my grades up,” Weber said.

Before Weber could transfer to join Perra and Parks as Gophers, Parks up-and-left to attend Saint John’s, where he lasted as a Johnnie for just a few weeks before returning to the University of Minnesota. This time, as a student. Not a student-athlete.

During the start of their second year, Perra and Weber multitasked football and school, while Parks focused on his studies. That is until Kill resigned as head football coach at the University of Minnesota, leaving players like Perra in a dilemma. When Minnesota announced Tracy Claeys would be taking over as head coach, it became clear to Perra that he should look elsewhere.

“I wasn’t the biggest fan of him,” Perra said.

Perra’s desire to stay local found him in deep talks with Glenn Caruso, which led to him making the decision to transfer to St. Thomas following that fall semester.

Parks again followed Perra.

“When Jacques came here, he convinced me to talk to coach Caruso,” Parks said. “About a month or two after that, I committed to St. Thomas.”

While Perra and Parks took on roles that helped the Tommies to a 12-1 record and national quarterfinal appearance in 2016, Weber found himself unhappy playing at Minnesota. So, following that school year, he joined Perra and Parks as Tommies.

“I don’t regret at all making the decision I made going (to the University of Minnesota). It was a great time,” Weber said. “But I’d rather actually be on the field competing than putting in all that work and sitting on the sideline.”

The three would lead the Tommies to a quarterfinal matchup against the defending national champion Mary Hardin-Baylor this past season. They fought hard, but fell 24-10.

Perra started in all 13 games as quarterback, throwing for 2,944 yards and 24 touchdowns during that span.

Parks was a part of a three-headed monster running back tandem, rushing for 698 yards and nine touchdowns himself.

Weber took over Adam Kraft’s spot at the outside linebacker position, where he mustered up 45 total tackles and six sacks for the dominant Tommie defense.

These Gophers-turned-Tommies admit that their journeys put things in perspective.

“At the (University of Minnesota), everyone dreams about going to a Division I school and playing for a Division I program, but even when you get there it’s not all that,” Perra said. “It kind of makes you realize that there’s more to college and there’s a lot more that matters after college than those four years of playing Division I football.”

Parks went further.

“From the outside looking in, a lot of things look much better than they may be,” he said. “But when you actually are in that experience, you’re able to realistically pull out things that you enjoy and things that you dislike.”

None of them regret being Golden Gophers; nor do they regret becoming Tommies.

“It’s really all about the journey,” Parks said. “We probably would have all had regrets if we never played at the U of M knowing that we had the potential to do so.”

https://www.tommiemedia.com/featured-news/becoming-a-tommie-the-d-i-to-d-iii-journey/

Go Gophers!!

Should be required reading for all H.S. seniors thinking about where they want to go to school and play football. This isn't a St Thomas > U of M article but speaks to the heart of the issue of kids putting in tons of work and never seeing the field when they are good enough to play actively somewhere else. From a tuition standpoint, player development standpoint etc.. better to play down maybe exceed expectations and get a chance to move up than to over reach and have to look for a soft landing later. I know one of these players passed on a full ride to an FCS school to walk on at the U. Certainly helps the U to have high quality walk ons, not sure how good a deal it is for most of those kids.

Should be required reading for all H.S. seniors thinking about where they want to go to school and play football. This isn't a St Thomas > U of M article but speaks to the heart of the issue of kids putting in tons of work and never seeing the field when they are good enough to play actively somewhere else. From a tuition standpoint, player development standpoint etc.. better to play down maybe exceed expectations and get a chance to move up than to over reach and have to look for a soft landing later. I know one of these players passed on a full ride to an FCS school to walk on at the U. Certainly helps the U to have high quality walk ons, not sure how good a deal it is for most of those kids.

They know what they are signing up for. I hope they're not bitter about it. Everyone knows being a walk-on is a relative long shot to make it. I don't blame them for transferring though. If you know you aren't going to play it would be hard to spend 4 years practicing knowing you'll likely never see the field.

They know what they are signing up for. I hope they're not bitter about it. Everyone knows being a walk-on is a relative long shot to make it. I don't blame them for transferring though. If you know you aren't going to play it would be hard to spend 4 years practicing knowing you'll likely never see the field.

I'd disagree. Most teens don't even really understand the financial portion of taking student loans out to attend college in the first place, add to that a salesman (coach) telling you that despite the reality that it's a long shot to go from walk on to scholarship and an even longer longshot from walk on to making football a career, that coach really sees something special and unique in the player. Add to that a High School coach that wants to pad his resume and ego by claiming so many kids going to DI programs, and normal parental vanity in some cases also tainting advice and you end up with a 17 or 18 year old kid that doesn't really get finance and doesn't really have a clear picture of what kind of player they are getting advice from everyone surrounding them that is potentially counter to their own best interest.

IMO Walking on instead of playing for scholarship somewhere else is the financial equivalent of getting an Anthropology degree. Something that should be considered by those with the wherewithal that the cost of education is a secondary or trivial concern.

Agreed. I don't think these kids do know what they are signing up for.

Definitely an interesting read! I enjoyed getting their perspectives on their experiences!

I'd bet my house that "not the biggest fan of..." translates to "he made it clear I would never play".

Glad things worked out for Perra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd bet my house that "not the biggest fan of..." translates to "he made it clear I would never play".

Glad things worked out for Perra.

If, in fact, the coach told Perra he wasn't likely to play, it may not have been a talent issue. It may have been an issue of Perra's skill set not matching the coach's system.

After the 2017 Gopher season, I think we can all appreciate the difficulty some players may have - no matter how talented - when they are asked to play in a system they are not suited for, and were not recruited to play in. Round Peg - square hole. Doesn't mean a lack of talent - just a bad fit. It happens.
(and now I'm tempted to say "fit happens," but that would be a bad pun even for me............)

If, in fact, the coach told Perra he wasn't likely to play, it may not have been a talent issue. It may have been an issue of Perra's skill set not matching the coach's system.

After the 2017 Gopher season, I think we can all appreciate the difficulty some players may have - no matter how talented - when they are asked to play in a system they are not suited for, and were not recruited to play in. Round Peg - square hole. Doesn't mean a lack of talent - just a bad fit. It happens.
(and now I'm tempted to say "fit happens," but that would be a bad pun even for me............)

Agreed.

Do you guys think UST could have taken NDSU this year? I think they'd of had a good shot...

Do you guys think UST could have taken NDSU this year? I think they'd of had a good shot...

St. Thomas didn't even win Division III. What makes you think they could punch up 2 weight classes?

Nobody cares about St. Thomas football. Go post this in your own forum (if you even have one).

Nobody cares about St. Thomas football. Go post this in your own forum (if you even have one).

This story is relevant to gopher football as it involves three former gophers and Minnesotans and how they ended up. It belongs on this forum.

Would you say the same thing if someone posted a story about Dior, Tamarion and Buford and Independence Community College football?

Top Bottom