Heather Rule: The bench needs a boost: Michael Hurt’s ongoing acclimation could help

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rule:

Everybody thinks about Gophers sophomore guard and Hopkins native Amir Coffey when they think of the Minnesota local boy on the Gophers roster, and some seasoned Gophers fans probably mistake him for his father and former Gopher, Richard, as well. Hurt is a Minnesota boy, too. He was the leading scorer for Rochester John Marshall High School in 2015-16 and a finalist for Mr. Basketball, losing out to his now-teammate Coffey.

Looking at his stats, the sheet is not overwhelming, but Hurt’s still seeing more time on the floor than last season as a freshman. He’s played in every game this season, scoring a season-high five points in victories over Niagra and UMass. He’s seen double-digit minutes in 9-of-12 games, and his overall stat line is already improved over last season. He’s grabbed 19 rebounds (15 defensive), nine assists and five steals so far, all better than last year. It also shows he can contribute on the defensive side of the court, too, part of the recipe to success he’s kept in mind.

“I think it helps that we can outscore teams at times, but… we really try to have the same defensive mentality we had last year, which was defend, rebound and run,” Hurt said. “Just because that was our key to success for winning so many games last year.”

The offense will come along once his body catches up to the game, Pitino said in mid-November.

“He’ll get there,” Pitino said. “It’s the speed of the game sometimes. But once he gets acclimated with that, I don’t think that there’s any doubt that he’s a really good shooter.”

https://www.1500espn.com/gophers-2/2017/12/bench-needs-boost-michael-hurts-ongoing-acclimation-help/

Go Gophers!!

I was so hoping he could step up at the foul line in the last minute last night. And then the bad inbounds pass. His confidence already seemed low and these failures didn't help.

Top Bottom