North Dakota State

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
What fun to watch the Bisons dismantle Wofford in the playoffs in Fargo. Lucky patrons there have had multiple national champs in their cozy FargoDome (one of the few places a dome makes sense - seating maybe 35,000?). Great mix of running and passing, at least 30 kids from Minnesota, a terrific QB from Omaha, a couple of speedy running backs (one from Florida), classic uniforms they seem to maintain with little alteration, and always a smartly disciplined team that can play defense. Would that we could do in Power 5 what they've done for decades at their level (they outplayed the Gophers in the last three encounters, winning two and losing one when a last second field goal attempt hit the uprights).

NDSU is irrelevant academically and athletically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are we going to start making threads for every little no-name college out there and reminisce about how well those slower Minnesota kids play football?

Im a Gopher fan living in Fargo, and fully appreciate NDSU for what they do. They could maybe be a Boise St. at the FBS level, but like Klieman has said...why go to FBS and play in some nominal bowl, when they can go to Frisco (play for the championship) every year?

NDSU routinely beats FBS opponents during non-conference schedules, but you have to take it for what it is. NDSU puts those games on the level of a championship game...they bring their crowd to those games, the players and coaches prepare weeks in advance for those game, etc...

I've witnessed the fans here in Fargo be more hyped after defeating the Gophers, than they are after winning championships. Its kind of embarrassing.

What fun to watch the Bisons dismantle Wofford in the playoffs in Fargo. Lucky patrons there have had multiple national champs in their cozy FargoDome (one of the few places a dome makes sense - seating maybe 35,000?). Great mix of running and passing, at least 30 kids from Minnesota, a terrific QB from Omaha, a couple of speedy running backs (one from Florida), classic uniforms they seem to maintain with little alteration, and always a smartly disciplined team that can play defense. Would that we could do in Power 5 what they've done for decades at their level (they outplayed the Gophers in the last three encounters, winning two and losing one when a last second field goal attempt hit the uprights).

It seats about 18000

Im a Gopher fan living in Fargo, and fully appreciate NDSU for what they do. They could maybe be a Boise St. at the FBS level, but like Klieman has said...why go to FBS and play in some nominal bowl, when they can go to Frisco (play for the championship) every year?

NDSU routinely beats FBS opponents during non-conference schedules, but you have to take it for what it is. NDSU puts those games on the level of a championship game...they bring their crowd to those games, the players and coaches prepare weeks in advance for those game, etc...

I've witnessed the fans here in Fargo be more hyped after defeating the Gophers, than they are after winning championships. Its kind of embarrassing.

Still irrelevant. Next.

Laughable comparison. Just look at what we put into the NFL compared to them.

If were talking about local minor league football gotta go with Eden Prairie. Nationwide, Bishop Gorman.

Our little step cousin annoys me as much as anyone but this isn't an argument I would make right now.

I don't think Great Plains made the thread to say North Dakota was better than the Gophers, just that he liked watching ND win, and I agree with him. Nice to see them do well in FCS. North Dakota State and South Dakota State are both in the semi-finals. It'd be great if they met each other in the championship game.

Lol people sure get worked up about uniform alterations.

...like Klieman has said...why go to FBS and play in some nominal bowl, when they can go to Frisco (play for the championship) every year?

Well, if the goal of your football program is to get exposure for your school, the ratings show that playing in a "nominal bowl" actually works better more often than not. Last year's FCS championship game was viewed by less people than 31 of the 39 bowl games (if I counted correctly).

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/2/

I agree the comparison between FCS and FBS is laughable, but I wouldn't laugh at the comparison between NDSU and Minnesota. Currently, Minnesota has 10 players in the NFL, NDSU has 7. Minnesota recruits on a much larger scale and should get "better" players than NDSU. If we played NDSU this year I am sure the little guys in green would have won. I'm torn on what I would like to see for NDSU in the future. It would be fun to see them in FBS, but they wouldn't be in a P5 conference. Instead of playing through the playoffs they would now be playing for a chance to go to the Las Vegas, Cactus Bowl, or New Mexico Bowl - I can't imagine that does a lot for excitement.

I've been to NDSU - what a place to watch a game.

Instead of playing through the playoffs they would now be playing for a chance to go to the Las Vegas, Cactus Bowl, or New Mexico Bowl - I can't imagine that does a lot for excitement.

If I'm a fan or player, I would rather take a trip to Vegas or Phoenix before Dallas (Frisco). Albuquerque vs. Dallas is a tougher call. But maybe that's just me.

Why is NDSU being discussed on a Gopher fan forum?

Why not Mankato or St Thomas, then? They’re both good at their levels too.

I think this thread should be closed.

Why is NDSU being discussed on a Gopher fan forum?

Why not Mankato or St Thomas, then? They’re both good at their levels too.

I think this thread should be closed.

Mankato and St. Thomas we're discussed in a thread. They both lost so they're out of the playoffs and the thread isn't active anymore. NSDU and SDSU are both still in the playoffs and they have a lot of Minnesota players. If you don't like a thread, then my suggestion is you don't read it and don't post to it, problem solved.

Mankato and St. Thomas we're discussed in a thread. They both lost so they're out of the playoffs and the thread isn't active anymore. NSDU and SDSU are both still in the playoffs and they have a lot of Minnesota players. If you don't like a thread, then my suggestion is you don't read it and don't post to it, problem solved.

How about SDSU? They are still in the FCS playoffs and beat the NDSU once already this year.

Do Gopher fans really want to have a thread discussing NDSU and SDSU being in the FCS playoffs, with some amount of Minn kids on their roster (though neither's QB is from Minn)?

It seems more antagonizing or trolling, than genuine.

And the thread is titled "North Dakota State", not "NDSU & SDSU in the FCS semi-finals". At least change the title.

Do Gopher fans really want to have a thread discussing NDSU and SDSU being in the FCS playoffs, with some amount of Minn kids on their roster (though neither's QB is from Minn)?

It seems more antagonizing or trolling, than genuine.

And the thread is titled "North Dakota State", not "NDSU & SDSU in the FCS semi-finals". At least change the title.

25 posts says yes. If you don't like a thread, don't read it and don't post and if everyone else does the same it'll fade into the distance, just like that thread where you kept saying we should cheer for the BADgers to become B10 champions. It's faded into the distance, where it belongs.

If you were genuine, you'd advocate for a thread title change.

Great program, nice facilities, passionate fans. For Bison fans it is bliss. Step into the power 5 and it all changes. I would stay put if I were them.

How about SDSU? They are still in the FCS playoffs and beat the NDSU once already this year.

Nice run for SDSU. I think James Madison wins it all for second year in a row. They are on a 25 game winning streak.

The Bison fans I know are more concerned about Eagles QB Carson Wentz right now who tore his ACL yesterday and is out for the season.

If I'm a fan or player, I would rather take a trip to Vegas or Phoenix before Dallas (Frisco). Albuquerque vs. Dallas is a tougher call. But maybe that's just me.

Win a playoff national championship or win a lower tier bowl game?

Top Bottom