North Dakota State

Win a playoff national championship or win a lower tier bowl game?

Win a lower tier playoff game or a BCS-level bowl game? Alway the a BCS-level Bowl Game. Unless the opponents are recent FCS level teams, then don't care either way. The number of TV viewers tell you that too. Thanks for confirming that Hop Head!

Didn't watch Eden Prairie beat Minnetonka for the state title either. Was the North Dakota state title televised?

Oh, as for the "views" and posts? Pissing contests, no matter how trivial get a lot of both. Much to the site owners and advertisers delight. :eek:

Biggest issue NDSU is the size if the Fargo Dome. I believe they would draw as well as the Gophers. I do know they tailgate like a Big 10 team. Much more passionate fans.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Biggest issue NDSU is the size if the Fargo Dome. I believe they would draw as well as the Gophers. I do know they tailgate like a Big 10 team. Much more passionate fans.

And by passionate, he means drunk.

And by passionate, he means drunk.

Hate this thread, but love this post. ^

The booziness of a Badger fan within the short man syndrome of a Bison fan. Irritating combo.

Bison fans are frontrunners, just like every other fanbase. One needs to look no further than their FIRST HOME DIVISION I PLAYOFF GAME.....EVER. I believe it was around 2010, and they drew 12,000 in a 19,000 seat dome.

I remember plenty of games in the 2000's where you wouldve had no problem getting premium level seats.

I bet if the Gophers were 3 TDs better than every opponent, they'd draw well too.

Enough about the Fighting Hawks or whatever they are called now. It is time to move on.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NDSU is not even the best Dakota team this year as proven by their humiliating defeat to SDSU earlier this year. :cool02:

Bison fans are frontrunners, just like every other fanbase. One needs to look no further than their FIRST HOME DIVISION I PLAYOFF GAME.....EVER. I believe it was around 2010, and they drew 12,000 in a 19,000 seat dome.

I remember plenty of games in the 2000's where you wouldve had no problem getting premium level seats.

I bet if the Gophers were 3 TDs better than every opponent, they'd draw well too.
Yes, and I remember when you could walk up to a Badger game and walk right in too. I just don't see a huge let down with that program. Gophers just continue to just be north or south of average.

Yes, and I remember when you could walk up to a Badger game and walk right in too. I just don't see a huge let down with that program. Gophers just continue to just be north or south of average.

Craig Bohl built the Bison Dynasty not the current coach Chris Klieman. A bag full of footballs could have coached the Bison to a Championship when Bohl left. Let's see what happens when Bohls recruits are gone.

Win a playoff national championship or win a lower tier bowl game?

Comparing a lower tier bowl game to an FCS finals game is laughable.

Lower Teir Bowl: vacation football, little or no intensity or passion, who cares who wins already got my swag bag, fans sitting on hands

FCS Championdhip Football: Max effort by players, crazy fan engagement, playing for a Title.

Craig Bohl built the Bison Dynasty not the current coach Chris Klieman. A bag full of footballs could have coached the Bison to a Championship when Bohl left. Let's see what happens when Bohls recruits are gone.

Klieman won a title in year zero. Year zero? Ha ha

Lower Teir Bowl: vacation football, little or no intensity or passion, who cares who wins already got my swag bag, fans sitting on hands

FCS Championdhip Football: Max effort by players, crazy fan engagement, playing for a Title.

True if your team is playing, otherwise hardly anybody else cares. As for comparing them ratings systems do.

Last year that lower level Championship game was beaten by 31 of the other 39 Bowl games. Hop Head posted it earlier in the thread. If you look close you'll see that a number of the Bowls that had lower numbers featured teams that weren't long removed from the FCS level. Here are some of the Bowls that beat the FCS Championship in viewers:

The Dallas Bowl

Boca Bowl

Birmingham Bowl

Poinsettia Bowl

Mobile Bowl

Celebrity Bowl

Las Vegas Bowl

A. Forces Bowl

Mobile Bowl

Liberty Bowl

Pinstripe Bowl

San Fran. Bowl

Texas Bowl

Russ. Ath. Bowl

Military Bowl

Beating a BCS on a consistent basis is proud accomplishment. I’m sure it’s easy to get pumped up for one BCS match up every year or so. Could they take the week to week pounding inflicted on BCS teams? Being the biggest or fastest FCS team doesn’t match up to the BCS caliber level of talent.

Love NDSU football. Grew up watching Jeff Bentrim win the Harlan Hill, that crazy pitch, etc.

Good Lord.

NDSU is a Rottweiler in a pen full of poodles. Of course they're "awesome" and when they move over to the working dog pen 1x per year, they can take out some of the lesser dogs.

But my gosh. Inferiority complex to the max...go talk to Burnsie and discuss how you will win your umpteenth JV tourney...

North Dakota football is equivalent to being the tallest midget. Congratulations!

I assume you've been to a "Lower Tier Bowl" yourself to confirm all of this? I have been to two (not including the Citrus Bowl) and can confirm the exact opposite of everything you said regarding "Lower Tier Bowls".

I don't doubt FCS Playoffs and Title games do a lot for your team and fan bases of FCS Football. But other than it being another football game on to watch when there are no bowl games or NFL games (Sometimes even then I still don't watch), I certainly don't give two sh!ts about what FCS game is going on and when.

So probably most people here don't know, and don't care to know, but ... the first round of the FCS playoffs is Thanksgiving weekend. The lower end teams in the bracket, especially since it expanded to 24 teams, play that weekend, while the higher ranked teams get a bye.

Attendance is always very poor for that weekend around the country, as you can imagine.

That was one of those games. Which is too bad, that NDSU's technically first home playoff game went like that. They sort've backed into the playoffs that year ... but they certainly got the ball rolling. They went to Montana St the next week and beat them. Then went to #1 Eastern Washington and lost in OT on a controversial call in a snowstorm. Was an extremely memorable game ... may have even been the same week/weekend that the Metrodome roof collapsed here in the cities.

So that's the reason for that.

Otherwise ... there certainly is a little bit of complacency for playoff games at NDSU these days. It's almost a given that they host three playoff games every year, now. And the first two playoff games are usually duds. So last week, they "only" had about 17k attendance in the 18.7k dome (though the record attendance is 19k and some change).

You might've been able to say this a couple years ago ... but by now, it simply is not true.

2010 - Bohl - first year they made the playoffs, hosted only a first round game, went on the road the rest
2011 - Bohl - hosted three playoff games, national champs
2012 - Bohl - hosted three playoff games, national champs
2013 - Bohl - hosted three playoff games, national champs
2014 - Klieman - hosted three playoff games, national champs
2015 - Klieman - hosted three playoff games, national champs
2016 - Klieman - hosted three playoff games, lost to national champion team in the semi-finals
2017 - Klieman - hosted three playoff games, going to national championship game

Meanwhile Bohl went to Wyoming, and they do still grab one or two Minn kids a year it seems like. But it's a much tougher place to recruit. Nonetheless, he has them looking to get their second 8 win season in a row, and have a potential first round draft pick in the draft this year (QB).

It will be tough for them to break through with a 10+ win season in the Mountain West. Just a really tough conference, at that level, with a lot of schools that want to spend big $$$ to win like Colorado St, Boise St, San Diego St, etc.

And nobody cares about your D2 team.

But have fun with that.

Bottom line is simply this: at the FCS level, now a days, there really are like 10-15 programs in the whole country with a legit chance to be competitive at the top level.

The Dakota schools, N Iowa, a couple others in that conference. And a few programs in each of the other "power" conferences at that level.

Their head coaches make a few hundred thousand, which is the top end for that level. They spend a 4-6 million on football. That's what it is.

It simply doesn't even come close to comparing to Big Ten football.

Bottom line is simply this: at the FCS level, now a days, there really are like 10-15 programs in the whole country with a legit chance to be competitive at the top level.

The Dakota schools, N Iowa, a couple others in that conference. And a few programs in each of the other "power" conferences at that level.

Their head coaches make a few hundred thousand, which is the top end for that level. They spend a 4-6 million on football. That's what it is.

It simply doesn't even come close to comparing to Big Ten football.

The bottom line is this: Nobody give a **** about these teams. They are irrelevant.

You're not wrong, frankly.

FCS, D2, D3 ... they're all the same, minor league college football.

You're not wrong, frankly.

FCS, D2, D3 ... they're all the same, minor league college football.

No, I'm not.

No one outside of students, staff and alumni give a flying **** about any game at any time of the year. Regular season or playoffs.

Actually it is true Bohls recruits are still there but it doesn't matter. My last post on this thread.

Kids that Bohl recruited in 13-14, many of which he tried to take with him to Wyoming (but mostly failed in that regard), would either be Seniors (no redshirt) or Redshirt Juniors this season, and then graduated or Redshirt Seniors next season.

Yes, those some players who are making significant contributions this year and a few that will make significant contributions next year.

But it has already flipped over to more than a majority of the contributors being Klieman recruits. He can recruit, just as well as Bohl.

And the reason is simple: for those types of players, it recruits itself. NDSU is the "Alabama" of the upper midwest, for players who get passed over by the Big Ten schools for whatever reason. Talking Minnesota, Wisconsin, Dakotas mostly, and some Nebraska, KC metro, and Iowa, with a few here and there sprinkled in. These are "two star" players at best.

They have their system. They find the players they want. They develop them.

And there just aren't that many big time DI teams that pick off too much of the cream, in this area of the country. That's how they do it, frankly. It's really just a matter of how the geography has worked out. If a Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, K State, Missouri, Illinois ... if one of those offer a kid, then NDSU likely won't get him. But they get almost the first pick of everyone left over after that, in those states (Iowa being a big exception, and they only recruit the KC metro for the most part in Missouri and Kansas).

And also simultaneously the reason they can't move up to FBS.

Fleck took over a Big Ten program where the previous coach was fired. Klieman took over a championship junior varsity team where the previous coach left so that he could make the huge step up to the Mountain West conference.

All Gopherholers should be pulling for the Jacks to win the FCS Championship this year. A good compliment of Minnesota players and an appreciative not arrogant fan base like that team (NDSU) we beat earlier this year.

A good compliment ... that's a good one. SDSU recruits S Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, and KC hard. That's their area. They've had very limited success in N Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.

Yeah, we all remember Zach Zenner was from Eagan. Will be rooting for him, except when they play the Vikings.

A good compliment ... that's a good one. SDSU recruits S Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, and KC hard. That's their area. They've had very limited success in N Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.

Yeah, we all remember Zach Zenner was from Eagan. Will be rooting for him, except when they play the Vikings.

Good thing you are keeping me honest on the roster. Ever heard of All-American WR Jake Wieneke out of Maple Grove? He only scored 4 touchdowns last week in the route of New Hampshire.

Top Bottom