I know, I know, but this is so ironic for Claeys...

His scandal mishandled by a coach to years as coach ratio hurt him.

If all he had to do was coach the football team on Saturdays, he'd probably be an amazing head coach....

If Clayes went to Kansas they wouldn't win more than 3 games in any the 3 years he would be there before he got fired.

You are some sort of sports whiz!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Until Fleck has some on field success at the U of M there will be a group of fans that pine for the good ole days of Kill/Claeys.

I get it to a degree with Kill, they loved his schtick and he did a solid job here before "retiring" for health reasons. I don't get it with Claeys, he was a great DC and did an adequate job filling in for Kill but he is just not cut out to be a power 5 Head Coach. I haven't been paying super close attention to the coaching carousel because we are not on it this year but I don't seem to be hearing his name come up much as a target for the open jobs out there.

I didn't care for Kill's schtick but I didn't grow up in rural America.

Claeys may not have been successful as a head coach here long-term. Yet, he gave all he had as an asst coach and head coach, and was part of a pretty successful turn around. I’ll never understand the venom some here have for him. Appreciate what he did and move on.

PJ, on the other hand, is easy to dislike, and made easier by some here who think the only way to prop him up is to denigrate the last staff. For the program, I hope he has success, but he has done nothing yet.

The current staff is good in recruiting. We shall see if they can win a big game. They did put the nail in Riley’s tenure at Nebraska.

The sad thing about the Kill era will always be, we don’t know what the ceiling was. Claeys obviously wasn’t happy with the offensive scheme and made his coordinator changes. For a close knit staff of 12-19+ years, that had to be a tough thing to do from Claeys perspective. Tough to say what Johnson might have done. But he wasn’t bringing in the talent that is set to sign in two weeks.

The difference between Kill and Claeys is the salesmanship of the program. Kill sold it, Kill sold it to everyone, recruits, boosters, media, fans, students...but that that o’shucks old school way. Fleck is doing the same thing, in the new, hey this is honestly where we at at. Enjoy the honesty. If you want a comparison, Richard is doing he same thing right now about the B.B. team in his press conference. It’s called challenging the team, not throwing them under the bus.

Claeys was uncomfortable on camera. He is a very intelligent coach and person. He just didn’t hype his own program. If you disagree with promoting your product and brand you won’t succeed today.

The only coach I can think of that doesn’t promote and sell his brand on a weekly basis is Paul Chryst at Wisconsin, but he has Barry do that for him which is why that relationship works

Claeys may not have been successful as a head coach here long-term. Yet, he gave all he had as an asst coach and head coach, and was part of a pretty successful turn around. I’ll never understand the venom some here have for him. Appreciate what he did and move on.

PJ, on the other hand, is easy to dislike, and made easier by some here who think the only way to prop him up is to denigrate the last staff. For the program, I hope he has success, but he has done nothing yet.
We have moved on. Some people clearly feel that us moving on means we are denigrating him or have venom for him.

The current staff is good in recruiting. We shall see if they can win a big game. They did put the nail in Riley’s tenure at Nebraska.

The sad thing about the Kill era will always be, we don’t know what the ceiling was. Claeys obviously wasn’t happy with the offensive scheme and made his coordinator changes. For a close knit staff of 12-19+ years, that had to be a tough thing to do from Claeys perspective. Tough to say what Johnson might have done. But he wasn’t bringing in the talent that is set to sign in two weeks.

The difference between Kill and Claeys is the salesmanship of the program. Kill sold it, Kill sold it to everyone, recruits, boosters, media, fans, students...but that that o’shucks old school way. Fleck is doing the same thing, in the new, hey this is honestly where we at at. Enjoy the honesty. If you want a comparison, Richard is doing he same thing right now about the B.B. team in his press conference. It’s called challenging the team, not throwing them under the bus.

Claeys was uncomfortable on camera. He is a very intelligent coach and person. He just didn’t hype his own program. If you disagree with promoting your product and brand you won’t succeed today.

The only coach I can think of that doesn’t promote and sell his brand on a weekly basis is Paul Chryst at Wisconsin, but he has Barry do that for him which is why that relationship works

Im not so sure we can't guess what Kill's ceiling was based on his coaching career.

In 5 years at Saginaw Valley State, his best finish was tied for 2nd. In 2 years at Emporia State his best finish was tied for 4th. In 7 years at Southern Illinois he tied for 1st twice and won one championship outright. In 3 years at NIU, he won the MAC West, but lost in the championship game as a 17 point favorite.

In the 17 years he coached prior to the U, he won only 3 conference championships. To expect that we were going to consistently win the B1G West was unlikely given his record competing. I against lesser competition.

Having said that, Kill deserves our eternal thanks for getting the new athletic facilities started. Without those facilities, I doubt we get the most recent batch of players to commit.

Im not so sure we can't guess what Kill's ceiling was based on his coaching career.

In 5 years at Saginaw Valley State, his best finish was tied for 2nd. In 2 years at Emporia State his best finish was tied for 4th. In 7 years at Southern Illinois he tied for 1st twice and won one championship outright. In 3 years at NIU, he won the MAC West, but lost in the championship game as a 17 point favorite.

In the 17 years he coached prior to the U, he won only 3 conference championships. To expect that we were going to consistently win the B1G West was unlikely given his record competing. I against lesser competition.

Having said that, Kill deserves our eternal thanks for getting the new athletic facilities started. Without those facilities, I doubt we get the most recent batch of players to commit.

That’s a fair assessment. The Kill era was about bringing us out of the Brewster train wreck. If Claeys had someone that was, ironically, a Brewster or Fleck level recruiter, and Claeys knew how to tweet...

We have moved on. Some people clearly feel that us moving on means we are denigrating him or have venom for him.

Right. No one on here denigrates TC. Ever.

It's not like Claeys is the only coach to ever leave MN and not get hired for another head coaching job. One way or another, MN has been a place where head coaching careers go to die. Except for Holtz.

Looking back, I sometimes wonder what might have happened if Horton had been given a longer shot at being the head coach. He seemed to be a really grounded guy, and the players seemed to produce for him. As always, recruiting would have been the big challenge.

I think Claeys has been fairly criticized (and praised) on this site.

Top Bottom