Just for Fun- Your Projected Started OL for next year

Andries played exclusively tackle spot in high school.

Another one for putting Adries inside.

Did he play guard in high school or something?

I just don't see it ... when he spent the entire 2017 fall learning the schemes and techniques of tackle ... I just don't see a switch to guard coming.

We will certainly see!
A lot of guards in college played tackle in high school because they were the biggest players on their team.

If he had spent 2017 fall on the scout team, then you would be absolutely correct.

He wouldn't have spent time with the two deep working on technique, and running our plays, in practice. He'd be running opponent offensive plays, off of cards. Spring would then be his first chance to work technique with the actual OL coach.

In that case, sure, you could start out at any position.

If he had spent 2017 fall on the scout team, then you would be absolutely correct.

He wouldn't have spent time with the two deep working on technique, and running our plays, in practice. He'd be running opponent offensive plays, off of cards. Spring would then be his first chance to work technique with the actual OL coach.

In that case, sure, you could start out at any position.

Scout team is only for a portion of practice either way. They still do individual drills with the position group including red shirt players.

Not very much, if at all. The scout teams usually detach from the main offensive and defensive units once the season gets rolling. Why take up a position coaches resources/time having to coach guys that for sure aren't going to play? It makes sense.

Anyway, it's a moot point because Andries wasn't on the scout team ... he was a backup at tackle the whole year. If two tackles had gone down, he may well have had to burn his redshirt. So he had to be ready to play our offense, using our techniques, at tackle.

I think it's silly to argue about this further. I have no proof. He may just as well show up at Center this spring. We will see. I've put forth my assumptions and my guess.

A lot of people are apparently going to be upset apparently when he's playing at guard next season. Didn't realize it was such a touchy subject.

A lot of people are apparently going to be upset apparently when he's playing at guard next season. Didn't realize it was such a touchy subject.

Why would people be upset if he is playing guard? The 5 best should be playing, if he moves to guard and is one of the five best then he should start.

Sure, and if Viramontes moves to middle LB and is one of the best, he should start.

He's a talent above others that has to see the field, and were good with our book-ends.. so RG or LG makes sense..

I guess my question is more why is Andries the guy they assume would move inside? Why not one of the other tackles who you are "good with"?

Is it because he's Minnesotan and people assume he wouldn't get angry and transfer if he was told he's moving to a new position?

I guess my question is more why is Andries the guy they assume would move inside? Why not one of the other tackles who you are "good with"?

Is it because he's Minnesotan and people assume he wouldn't get angry and transfer if he was told he's moving to a new position?

Height might have something to do with it. Someone who is 6’5” is more likely to play inside than someone who is 6’7”.

I'll bet Warinner has a plan? He certainly seems to be executing one. We'll know more in May and even more the end of August after game one about how guys fit and who plays where. The offensive line potential is exciting!
Anxious to see the pecking order of the 6 redshirt freshman and the 6 incoming freshman. Andries in one group and Dunlap in the other seem to be the front runners?

Why would people be upset if he is playing guard? The 5 best should be playing, if he moves to guard and is one of the five best then he should start.

You're right, upset was probably the wrong word. Let's say surprised, stunned, shocked? It seems like many in this thread can't believe that Andries is moving inside.

It's actually a compliment to Blaise as he's versatile enough to play tackle (right, not left) and move inside and then out based on need. Josh Campion was a lot like this. As JVK asked a few posts down, tackles like Greene or Dickson or Schlueter, etc. couldn't move inside to guard. They don't have that skillset. Same goes for many of the guards on the roster. Olson, Oseland, Dovich despite having the size (plenty of guys play tackle at 6'5" in college) don't have the skillset of a tackle. Andries is interchangeable. We have 2 tackles next year and a dire need to have a guy start at the opposite guard of Olson and it isn't going to be Dunlap despite how highly regarded he is. It's going to be Andries.

Both oars are back in the water! Recruit a QB that can play right away and a bushel basket of OL and that reaffirms that these guys know what they're doing. RTB! Ski-U-Mah!!

You're right, upset was probably the wrong word. Let's say surprised, stunned, shocked? It seems like many in this thread can't believe that Andries is moving inside.

It's actually a compliment to Blaise as he's versatile enough to play tackle (right, not left) and move inside and then out based on need. Josh Campion was a lot like this. As JVK asked a few posts down, tackles like Greene or Dickson or Schlueter, etc. couldn't move inside to guard. They don't have that skillset. Same goes for many of the guards on the roster. Olson, Oseland, Dovich despite having the size (plenty of guys play tackle at 6'5" in college) don't have the skillset of a tackle. Andries is interchangeable. We have 2 tackles next year and a dire need to have a guy start at the opposite guard of Olson and it isn't going to be Dunlap despite how highly regarded he is. It's going to be Andries.

It's a valid hypothesis, but I'll bet that you're wrong. I'll bet that Andries starts out the spring as OT on the 2 offense. May get plenty of reps at OT with the 1s too. And if he moves past Greene or Schlueter, then he certainly will have earned that.

If Weyler is held out this spring, which could well happen, then you'll see Olson, Dovich, and Oseland start out the spring as the interior on the 1 offense. Which is how it should be ... they're the oldest and most experienced. And all of them have plenty of size for the position.

It's a valid hypothesis, but I'll bet that you're wrong. I'll bet that Andries starts out the spring as OT on the 2 offense. May get plenty of reps at OT with the 1s too. And if he moves past Greene or Schlueter, then he certainly will have earned that.

He's already ahead of Schuelter...

In your heart, sure.

But back in reality ... a true freshman who backed up the position last year is going to start spring ahead of the returning starter? No

In your heart, sure.

But back in reality ... a true freshman who backed up the position last year is going to start spring ahead of the returning starter? No

He was ahead of him his first two weeks at practice. He was starting when Greene was injured the first two weeks of fall camp. I'm not sure what you're talking about. He didn't play because the staff was dead set on not playing freshman unless they had to.

https://twitter.com/RJstrib/status/897600811517267968

He didn't start because we had better players in front of him, Greene and Schlueter.

You look at a piece of information, and you're going to interpret it the way you want to interpret it, to support your agenda.

I don't care. We both have put forth our assumptions and our guesses ... which is all they are. You don't know jack squat of inside info, and neither do I. Let the spring come and let's all see what happens.

He didn't start because we had better players in front of him, Greene and Schlueter.

You look at a piece of information, and you're going to interpret it the way you want to interpret it, to support your agenda.

I don't care. We both have put forth our assumptions and our guesses ... which is all they are. You don't know jack squat of inside info, and neither do I. Let the spring come and let's all see what happens.

I don't have an agenda. Schuelter played because the staff didn't want to burn his redshirt. PJ Fleck said as much in pretty much every press conference when he talked about burning redshirts.

He never said any such thing.

The sky is blue in my world. What color in your's?

I don't have an agenda. Schuelter played because the staff didn't want to burn his redshirt. PJ Fleck said as much in pretty much every press conference when he talked about burning redshirts.

If this is true, then PJ was not trying to win this year.

I think your both right.. fleck was dead set on not burning red shirts. But I also think fleck is going to put the best o.l. out there he can.. if that means blaise is at guard then that's where we will see him.

Excited for the two commits and the future of Blaise Andries...but not sure why people are assuming that Schulter is never going to play again just because Fleck was saving redshirts. Crazy how fast people forget how Schlueter was a highly ranked recruit when he commited here. Same goes for Oseland. I am just as excited as everyone else is for the recruting success but don't count out a player who was a redshirt freshamn last year just because there are two shiny new players. Just my opinion.

He never said any such thing.

Ok - this may be the first time I've ever backed up JB on a post...but if Fleck didn't flat out say it, he was certainly hinting at the fact that he was saving Andries (implying he had a better player that he refused to burn a redshirt).

Those kind of comments bothered me to an extent because it meant we weren't putting the best team on the field last year, but whatever - last season is over and hopefully it means we reap the rewards of Andries having 4 more years.

Excited for the two commits and the future of Blaise Andries...but not sure why people are assuming that Schulter is never going to play again just because Fleck was saving redshirts. Crazy how fast people forget how Schlueter was a highly ranked recruit when he commited here. Same goes for Oseland. I am just as excited as everyone else is for the recruting success but don't count out a player who was a redshirt freshamn last year just because there are two shiny new players. Just my opinion.

Not just your’s. Hopefully many share it as well. It’s the right mindset, IMO. You don’t cast aside your dance partner just because some new shiny thing walks through the door.

Ok - this may be the first time I've ever backed up JB on a post...but if Fleck didn't flat out say it, he was certainly hinting at the fact that he was saving Andries (implying he had a better player that he refused to burn a redshirt).

Those kind of comments bothered me to an extent because it meant we weren't putting the best team on the field last year, but whatever - last season is over and hopefully it means we reap the rewards of Andries having 4 more years.

So he burned the redshirt of Douglas, who was the second or maybe even best receiver we had, but refused to burn Andries even though he was actually the second or maybe even the best OT we had. I don’t buy it.

But yes it is silly to argue further. Can’t wait for spring!

Lt- Faalele
LG- Dunlap
C- Olson
RG- Andries
LT- Dickson

Our 2s, maybe 3s should be better than last years starters. They will all play plenty, so don't get all upset. This group will need time to mesh. That is largely up to Olson.

So he burned the redshirt of Douglas, who was the second or maybe even best receiver we had, but refused to burn Andries even though he was actually the second or maybe even the best OT we had. I don’t buy it.

But yes it is silly to argue further. Can’t wait for spring!

He was the 3rd best tackle at the beginning of the season.

Put VV at QB, Smith at RB, Bateman, Johnson, and Douglas and someone else as WR.

By B1G schedule you have a huge upgrade over this last year. Fleck won't miss a worthy bowl this year. He will pull the stops. This team will score, now fix the D.

Top Bottom