Just for Fun- Your Projected Started OL for next year

MNGopher74

Reaction score
Just for Fun- Your Projected Starting OL for next year

With so many new offensive line commits coming in for next season, I thought it would be fun to project our O-line rotation for next season. Regardless of who plays, we should have much better depth next year; and projecting down the road 2-3 years, we could have an outstanding, road-grading line (especially if we can get Quinn Carroll).

Here is my shot in the dark:
Left Tackle: Donnell Green/ Schlueter
Left Guard: Curtis Dunlap/Oseland
Center: Connor Olson/ Jared Weyler
Right Guard: Blaise Andries/Dovich
Right Tackle: Jason Dickson/Schlueter

14 On the current roster:
73 Greene, Donnell OL 6-7 320 RS JR Marietta, Ga. (Coffeyville C.C.)
61 Dovich, Bronson OL 6-5 298 RS SO Chaska, Minn. (Chaska HS)
60 Schmitz, John Michael OL 6-4 286 FR Flossmoor, Ill. (Homewood-Flossmoor HS)
70 Schlueter, Sam OL 6-6 298 RS FR Victoria, Minn. (Mayer Lutheran HS)
75 Sassack, Kyle OL 6-7 283 FR Pontiac, Mich. (Notre Dame Prep HS)
64 Olson, Conner OL 6-5 297 RS FR Monticello, Minn. (Monticello HS)
58 Oseland, Quinn OL 6-6 305 RS SO Springfield, Ill. (Sacred Heart Griffin HS)
62 Weyler, Jared OL 6-4 296 RS JR Dayton, Ohio (Centerville HS)
65 Ruschmeyer, Axel OL 6-4 281 FR Hutchinson, Minn. (Holy Family Catholic HS)
63 Bursch, Nathan OL 6-5 255 FR Woodbury, Minn. (Woodbury HS)
55 Rousemiller, Eric OL 6-4 310 FR Lakeville, Minn. (Lakeville South)
77 Andries, Blaise OL 6-5 313 FR Marshall, Minn. (Marshall HS)
75 Kuehn, Noah OL 6-6 305 RS SO Eagan, Minn. (Eagan HS)
71 Davis, Ben OL 6-4 274 SO Elk Grove, Calif. (Elk Grove HS)
7 Incoming
Nathan Boe ---------OC ----6'4" ----250 lbs
Curtis Dunlap ------OG ----6'4" ----368 lbs
Austin Beier --------OG ----6'5" ----285 lbs
Daniel Faalele ------OT ----6'8" ----400 lbs
Jason Dickson -----OT -----6'7" ----309 lbs
Grant Norton ------OT -----6'8" ----255 lbs
Jack York ----------OT -----6'6" ----300 lbs

Total of 21 Candidates
6 incoming FR
6 RS FR Schmitz, Sassack, Ruschmeyer, Bursch, Rousemiller, Andries
for a total of 12 Freshmen, among the 21 total...if I counted correctly
2 SO...Schlueter, Olson
4 JR...Dovich, Oseland, Kuehn, Davis
2 SR...Greene, Weyler
+ Jason Dickson incoming So or Jr?

Left Guard: Olson/Dunlap
Center: Weyler/ Dovich
Right Guard: Blaise Andries/Oseland

Left Guard: Olson/Dunlap
Center: Weyler/ Dovich
Right Guard: Blaise Andries/Oseland

This seems about right. Blaise will likely start somewhere, I'm just not exactly sure where yet.

I don't know who will be the starters, but I would bet they try to RS all the incoming freshman. Maybe not Dunlap if he has the talent and picks up on how Warinner runs his O-Line during spring, but if they think they can do it I bet they will try.

Somebody fill me in. I know Andries looked good in highlight videos, but I don't know anything about how he's developed physically or how he has performed. What's the inside poop on this Marshall kid?

I wonder what this could look like in 2019.

Based on the IMG boys and the assumption that Andries isn't riding the pine, I'm not sure how Benhart and Carroll fit in. I suppose Benhart would Red shirt. Carroll has to start.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I wonder what this could look like in 2019.

Based on the IMG boys and the assumption that Andries isn't riding the pine, I'm not sure how Benhart and Carroll fit in. I suppose Benhart would Red shirt. Carroll has to start.

Carroll doesn't have to start as a True FR. He could be the back up at one of the tackle spots to start the year. Injuries happen and would think he could be the first tackle "off the bench" that first year.

Somebody fill me in. I know Andries looked good in highlight videos, but I don't know anything about how he's developed physically or how he has performed. What's the inside poop on this Marshall kid?

I don’t think any of us know him well enough to answer that question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that OL is one spot that recruits don't necessarily expect to start as a true freshmen. I think they want to get great coaching and develop for a shot at the next level. Starting for four years would be a lot of wear on the body.

I've heard Dunlap is one that could play right away. Like others have stated, the depth is the key issue and with this many guys, the best 5 should be a big step forward from last season.

I don’t think any of us know him well enough to answer that question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know Fleck said on his radio show one week that people will be glad to see "freshmen" next to Andries name in the fall of 2018 and that he has four years to play.

I gotta think Andries stays at Tackle if he's as special as advertised. Greene could move to the RT spot and Dickson and Schuster would make good back ups in the two deeps

I think that OL is one spot that recruits don't necessarily expect to start as a true freshmen. I think they want to get great coaching and develop for a shot at the next level. Starting for four years would be a lot of wear on the body.

I've heard Dunlap is one that could play right away. Like others have stated, the depth is the key issue and with this many guys, the best 5 should be a big step forward from last season.
Carroll isn't going to redshirt or sit if he picks MN.

I think next year's OL is pretty set but just look at a potential 2019 line. Carrol, Dunlap, Weyler, Andries and Faelele. I mean talk about team SIZE!!

The techniques and the blocking schemes for tackle versus interior are significantly different. Even in practice, the guys you go against are quite different, going from blocking ends all the time to blocking interior DL all the time.

It’s not a video game. You can’t just snap your fingers and move Andries inside, after he spent the whole season learning to backup the tackle positions.

Greene and Schlueter will start the spring on the 1 offense tackle spots, with probably Dickson and Andries at tackles on the 2 offense. To start. They will each have the opportunity to win the starting job.

If we have four starting quality OT, then rotate them in the game. No reason you can’t do that.

The techniques and the blocking schemes for tackle versus interior are significantly different. Even in practice, the guys you go against are quite different, going from blocking ends all the time to blocking interior DL all the time.

It’s not a video game. You can’t just snap your fingers and move Andries inside, after he spent the whole season learning to backup the tackle positions.

Greene and Schlueter will start the spring on the 1 offense tackle spots, with probably Dickson and Andries at tackles on the 2 offense. To start. They will each have the opportunity to win the starting job.

If we have four starting quality OT, then rotate them in the game. No reason you can’t do that.

OL needs continuity as they work together when blocking. You can't build that if you are rotating guys in and out.
Having 4 starting quality OT, means you have depth and an injury isn't going to spell disaster. The two best play and the other two back them up.
If the two are equal, then the older guy should play.

OL needs continuity as they work together when blocking. You can't build that if you are rotating guys in and out.
Having 4 starting quality OT, means you have depth and an injury isn't going to spell disaster. The two best play and the other two back them up.

Direct opposition to many fans' take on who should have been starting Gopher QB in 2017...

This!

We need a full 2 deep at ALL positions especially OL. All players in 2 deep if not 3 deep need to be almost equal in ability and the healthiest or oldest, most experienced player plays.

We have yet to field a team w a full 2 deep in my lifetime. I'm hoping to see one. Excited about this class!

You’re not wrong at all, and thanks for bringing up this point.

Devil’s advocate: the QB and receivers need to work together to complete a successful pass, yet we always see receivers rotated in and out.

Tackles in two-deep: rs senior Greene (returning two-year starter), rs soph Schlueter (returning starter), junior Dickson (sat out two years after leaving high school class of 2014, has two years of juco ball experience), rs frosh Sassack

Interior linemen two-deep: rs soph Olson (returning starter), rs senior Weyler (two year returning starter), rs frosh Schmitz, rs junior Dovich (two years playing experience), rs junior Oseland (started two games), rs frosh Andries, rs soph Davis (one year juco experience), frosh Dunlap (early enrollee)

O-line will be an experienced and old and deep group with two guys in fifth year of college ball, two guys in fourth year, four guys in third year of college ball, three guys in second year...five guys with returning starts...able to go over three deep with scholarship players...highly recruited Faalale, Beier, York, Norton, Boe pushing for spots in two-deep along with some great walk-ons in Ruschmeyer, Rousemiller,

You’re not wrong at all, and thanks for bringing up this point.

Devil’s advocate: the QB and receivers need to work together to complete a successful pass, yet we always see receivers rotated in and out.

QB and WR need to work together and develop timing to make pass plays successful. It is easier for them to do that in the off-season as they can run routes either vs. air or a DB to create that connection. Along with that, when a WR has to run a deep route on successive plays, he may be gassed and need a break. Better to put in someone who is ready to go full out, than a guy who isn't. Of course if they can't catch that wouldn't be a good move.
OL can not develop cohesiveness going against air, nor blocking 1 on 1 or even 2 on 2. They need the 5 to work together going against an entire defensive front to develop a feel for how each of them will handle situations.

QB and WR need to work together and develop timing to make pass plays successful. It is easier for them to do that in the off-season as they can run routes either vs. air or a DB to create that connection. Along with that, when a WR has to run a deep route on successive plays, he may be gassed and need a break. Better to put in someone who is ready to go full out, than a guy who isn't. Of course if they can't catch that wouldn't be a good move.
OL can not develop cohesiveness going against air, nor blocking 1 on 1 or even 2 on 2. They need the 5 to work together going against an entire defensive front to develop a feel for how each of them will handle situations.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

BUT, I would add that just about every team puts more receivers on the field than just the starters, while few rotate offensive linemen. So perhaps I don't agree with the commonly held reasoning, but nonetheless the result is the same.

Tackles in two-deep: rs senior Greene (returning two-year starter), rs soph Schlueter (returning starter), junior Dickson (sat out two years after leaving high school class of 2014, has two years of juco ball experience), rs frosh Sassack

Interior linemen two-deep: rs soph Olson (returning starter), rs senior Weyler (two year returning starter), rs frosh Schmitz, rs junior Dovich (two years playing experience), rs junior Oseland (started two games), rs frosh Andries, rs soph Davis (one year juco experience), frosh Dunlap (early enrollee)

O-line will be an experienced and old and deep group with two guys in fifth year of college ball, two guys in fourth year, four guys in third year of college ball, three guys in second year...five guys with returning starts...able to go over three deep with scholarship players...highly recruited Faalale, Beier, York, Norton, Boe pushing for spots in two-deep along with some great walk-ons in Ruschmeyer, Rousemiller,

Another one for putting Adries inside.

Did he play guard in high school or something?

I just don't see it ... when he spent the entire 2017 fall learning the schemes and techniques of tackle ... I just don't see a switch to guard coming.

We will certainly see!

Top Bottom