Saquon Barkley, Josh Rosen & Sam Darnold Would Be Crazy to Play in Meaningless Bowls

The important word here is meaningless. Correct me if I’m wrong, but bowl games count toward overall records. That would mean that they are not meaningless.

No doubt that other than 2-6 bowl games they have less meaning than most conference games.
This is why I always say I’d rather have 10-2 with a bowl loss than 9-3 with a bowl win even though both teams finish 10-3.

They aren’t meaningless though.

Not sure why we would make an exception for the college football playoffs. Players get the same compensation for playing those that they get for the Music City Bowl, a swag bag and weekend stay at a Courtyard inn. If we are making this decision based on finances and NFL teams don't look down on players for sitting out of bowl games why would the team that is going to draft Baker Mayfield want him to take a chance of getting hurt in an equally meaningless college football playoff.

I get why players are doing it but I hate this trend and think it is really unfortunate.

Schools are asking fans to spend big bucks to travel to a destination and support their team. Makes it a much tougher sell if fans know that their star player is going to skip the game to get ready for the draft which of course will have a direct impact on the team's ability to win the game. While you still might want to go to a bowl game for the experience, it is a lot tougher to justify all the cost involved if you think your team is likely to lose the game itself.

With the amount of money on the line for the players I understand why some would choose not to play in a bowl game but football is a true team game and it really sends the wrong message about where your priorities are at that you would put yourself over your teammates.

By that line of thinking, if you are a star high school player you should consider not playing once you get an offer from a school you want to play at, why risk it? If you are a college player who doesn't need to prove his value on the field because you are already a known commodity why not just sit out multiple games in order to avoid getting injured? Those are all sound decisions financially but they stink for fans and teams.

I get why players are doing it but I hate this trend and think it is really unfortunate.

Schools are asking fans to spend big bucks to travel to a destination and support their team. Makes it a much tougher sell if fans know that their star player is going to skip the game to get ready for the draft which of course will have a direct impact on the team's ability to win the game. While you still might want to go to a bowl game for the experience, it is a lot tougher to justify all the cost involved if you think your team is likely to lose the game itself.

With the amount of money on the line for the players I understand why some would choose not to play in a bowl game but football is a true team game and it really sends the wrong message about where your priorities are at that you would put yourself over your teammates.

By that line of thinking, if you are a star high school player you should consider not playing once you get an offer from a school you want to play at, why risk it? If you are a college player who doesn't need to prove his value on the field because you are already a known commodity why not just sit out multiple games in order to avoid getting injured? Those are all sound decisions financially but they stink for fans and teams.

I think part of the issue for me is philosophically your looking for players that are elite. Part of that elite mentality is trying to improve your best. Hard to improve your best by skipping out on opportunities to improve and test yourself. Real competition against an opponent isn't replaceable by reps in a gym. There isn't a Larry Fitzgerald workout program that can test your readiness to compete at the highest level better than playing a game against a real opponent trying to beat you.

And no, I'm not trolling PJ fans with the "elite" and "improve your best" comments. He doesn't get to trademark every word and phrase he uses.

I disagree that the majority of bowl games are meaningless and less important than conference games.

I would much rather get a win vs. Mizzou in the Citrus bowl in 2014 or WSU last year in the Holiday bowl than another win vs a Purdue, Illinois or Northwestern type of team. We'd get more national exposure, those games are nationally televised etc. I can understand if we are talking about the Detroit bowl but the Holiday, Citrus, Outback bowl etc. are all very important and much bigger games than most conference games IMO.

"Character"? Seriously? Once they went to a playoff system it seems to have made all the other bowl games inconsequential. We've had plenty of threads and posts saying how "meaningless" it would be if the Gophers got in a minor bowl. How there are too many bowls also.

Me? Love the vast majority of bowls and while it bothers me a little, not gonna lose any sleep over it.

Seems much better than the "one and done" of College Basketball. There many kids don't go to school after the Fall semester and bail on their teammates after a barely a year out of their 4 year "commitment".

That makes the idea of a kid who's already played 3,4 or 5 years with his team skipping a "meaningless" bowl game pretty meaningless in itself.

Spot on Iceland. Agree on all counts.

Could the school do that on their behalf? If not, what if the player cannot afford such policy?

There is usually an option to defer the premium. If the player collects under the policy, the benefit is reduced by the amount of premium owed. If the player doesn't collect under the policy, they pay the premium once they sign a contract and get their signing bonus.

This.

I don't question the character of the kids who do this -- they're making a decision based on counsel from many sources. It just feels wrong to me.
And as the poster above pointed out, how far does this start go. Last meaningless game of the regular season? As soon as a team is out of contention? First sign of a minor injury early in the year? HIGH SCHOOL?

These games might be meaningless to these individual players. But some of of these bowl games (even the lesser ones) might be the biggest and or a last games some of these players will ever play in. Having a teammate not partake in said game would definitely take away from the overall experience for them. I get we are talking about potential millions of dollars being lost vs. potential hurt feelings here but it would still be hard to quit on your teammates. Having said that in a similar situations a vast majority would take the guaranteed money route, myself included.

Meaningless game is a pretty subjective term.

If you believe Barkley would be dumb to play in this bowl then I assume you were making the argument he should sit out the rest of the season after they lost to Ohio State. Because he had a first round draft stock locked up by about game 4

To say a 4 team playoff made the 3rd Best bowl more irrelevant than when it was a two team playoff is a ridiculous argument. Why is a game between number 9 and number 11 less relevant because the number 4 team is in a playoff?

If they tear their ACL in a bowl game, and throw their NFL career in the toilet??

I wouldn't be bothered one bit if they elected not to play in the bowl game.

...and I would pull their scholarship and hold back their degree, awards, and future participation as a “alumni” until they paid back the $500k or so the school gave them over the last 4 years.

...and I would pull their scholarship and hold back their degree, awards, and future participation as a “alumni” until they paid back the $500k or so the school gave them over the last 4 years.

They're moving on from the school, likely without finishing the credits for the degree anyway. So your selfish, pedantic threats would be pretty meaningless.

Nevermind the millions of dollars that the player made for the school ... we'll just sweep that under the rug.

That’d go really well for you in recruiting

I'd leave that kind of shunning for the fans. Sort of how Gopher hockey fans have forgotten about Kyle Okposo after he left us in the middle of a season.

They're moving on from the school, likely without finishing the credits for the degree anyway. So your selfish, pedantic threats would be pretty meaningless.

Nevermind the millions of dollars that the player made for the school ... we'll just sweep that under the rug.

You're pretty funny. This didn't say anything about "moving on", it said they should refuse to play in the game.

If a player refused to play in the game, they should be suspended from the program and school. If they want to "move on," they need to officially quit the program and intermediately give up their scholarship and it's benefits. That would be the right thing, and the adult thing to do. Can't have it both ways.

Your ignorance and pusillanimous comments are pretty meaningless.

We're only talking about players who are 100% certain to be in the following spring's NFL draft and thus moving on from the school. No player is refusing to play in the bowl game, yet planning on returning to the team the next semester.

So you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Rosen still in concussion protocol but hoping to play in Cactus Bowl - ESPN

3:23AM

Star UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen said Saturday that he remains in concussion protocol but still is hoping to play for the Bruins in Tuesday's Cactus Bowl against Kansas State.

Rosen sustained his second concussion of the season in UCLA's regular-season-closing victory against California. He has practiced every day this week, according to interim coach Jedd Fisch, and continues to be monitored by doctors, who have yet to clear him to play.

If Rosen cannot go, Devon Modster would get the start for the Bruins (6-6), Fisch said.

"I don't know,'' Rosen told reporters when asked if doctors have been optimistic about his chances. "I'm not into inferring. But we'll see.''

Fielding questioning from media on Saturday in Phoenix, where the Cactus Bowl will be played, Rosen was asked whether he will play even if he does pass the protocol, given the chance of injury and his future NFL prospects.

Rosen, though, left no doubt with his answers.

"I want to do everything I can to play in this game," he said. "I love these guys. I would give anything to get another game after this."

The quarterback said his position minimizes the risk of injury compared to a position such as running back. Current NFL rookies Leonard Fournette and Christian McCaffrey skipped bowl games last season due to the risk of injury and ended up being taken in the first eight picks of the 2017 NFL draft.

"For them, it is not an issue of if they are getting hurt. It's an issue of how severe," Rosen told reporters. "Most of those guys get banged up to some extent every single game. Quarterback is unique. We will take a few licks here and there, but nothing like the beatings those guys take.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...sion-protocol-hoping-play-cactus-bowl-cleared

More ammunition for those that feel Rosen lacks intangibles (like me). As far as I've seen and heard Darnold will play vs the Buckeyes in a relatively meaningless bowl game. Some will call that foolish, but people like Darnold embrace challenges and risk and success flows from that. He also probably feels some obligation to his teammates and fans.

Josh Rosen wants to play in Cactus Bowl, won't sit to avoid risk of injury - LA Times

He says he’ll be at quarterback for the Bruins against Kansas State on Tuesday night at Chase Field if he gets the medical OK.

“Absolutely,’’ Rosen said. “I’m here.’’

Physicians continue to evaluate Rosen’s recovery from a concussion suffered on Nov. 24 in the Bruins’ regular-season finale, a 30-27 victory over California. It’s the second concussion he’s had this season.

“Get checked every morning,’’ said Rosen, who said he saw doctors Saturday when the Bruins practiced at a high school in Gilbert, a Phoenix suburb.

When asked if the latest diagnosis was optimistic, Rosen couldn’t be sure.

“I don’t know,’’ he said of a decision that might not be made until game time. “I’m not into inferring. But we’ll see.’’

That’s the way it’s been for Rosen, whom some NFL scouts have projected to be the No. 1 pick in the draft if he decides to forgo his senior season. Questions, especially about the NFL, came at him faster than a safety blitz Saturday. But he sidestepped them quickly and gracefully, perhaps because he knew they were coming.

Of course, he hears the talk about him going No. 1.

“Yeah, it’s special,’’ Rosen said. “I remember growing up and we watched Andrew Luck [go No. 1]. We watched Matthew Stafford. I remember watching the Reggie Bush draft. I just remember all of these drafts, growing up. It’s just surreal. This year or next, it’ll be a fun experience.”

But, no, he says he has not made a decision about the when and he says won’t until after the Cactus Bowl.

“I’ll go home, sit down with my parents, have a conversation and go from there,’’ he said

If cleared to play, Rosen also said no to any chance he might sit out the Cactus Bowl so as to not risk an injury that might jeopardize his shot at being a top pick.

“No, not a thought,’’ Rosen said. “Maybe, I like my team more than some guys. Personally, I just really want to play in this game. I love these guys.’’

http://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-ucla-football-20171223-story.html

More ammunition for those that feel Rosen lacks intangibles (like me). As far as I've seen and heard Darnold will play vs the Buckeyes in a relatively meaningless bowl game. Some will call that foolish, but people like Darnold embrace challenges and risk and success flows from that. He also probably feels some obligation to his teammates and fans.

Maybe Rosen wants one more character flaw on his resume to make sure the Browns don’t take him at 1.

(Mostly sarcasm)

@NOTSportsCenter 19 hours ago

BREAKING: With the Browns clinching the #1 overall pick, every single draft eligible player has announced they are all returning to school

My opinion is that the only reason to sit out a bowl game is due to a (prior) injury - not a theoretical future injury.

What kind of message does that send to your teammates? "Screw the team, my future matters more than the players I've worked with for the last 3 or 4 years."

I understand that there is no real recourse against a player skipping a bowl game. But, if I was an NFL evaluator, I would have questions about a player who bails on his teammates. If stud RB bails on the bowl game, and he wound up falling out of the 1st round as a result, you wouldn't see guys skipping bowl games.

A bowl game that features the #5 and #8 teams in the country, both of which are two of the most prestigious programs in the country is absolutely not meaningless regardless of whether it has national title implications or not. How is that more meaningless than a typical OSU vs Purdue or Maryland game? It absolutely isn't

Has every Rose Bowl that has been played since the start of the BCS era been meaningless too?

My opinion is that the only reason to sit out a bowl game is due to a (prior) injury - not a theoretical future injury.

What kind of message does that send to your teammates? "Screw the team, my future matters more than the players I've worked with for the last 3 or 4 years."

I understand that there is no real recourse against a player skipping a bowl game. But, if I was an NFL evaluator, I would have questions about a player who bails on his teammates. If stud RB bails on the bowl game, and he wound up falling out of the 1st round as a result, you wouldn't see guys skipping bowl games.

I do hope it significantly lowers the stock of anybody who sits out.

Top Bottom