for a guy accused of having...

re3886

Reaction score
no ability to feel human emotion, or having no conection to the "U", Bud Grant's reaction pre-game was amazing. Very visable tears running down his face. Just shows that as fans we really don't get the total experience that playing for the "U" means. As a side note it was great to see Rick Upchurch at the game, a personal favorite of mine.

no ability to feel human emotion, or having no conection to the "U", Bud Grant's reaction pre-game was amazing. Very visable tears running down his face. Just shows that as fans we really don't get the total experience that playing for the "U" means. As a side note it was great to see Rick Upchurch at the game, a personal favorite of mine.

Are you serious? He played for the Gophs in the 40's and his grandson is on the team now.

read this board, or others..

Are you serious? He played for the Gophs in the 40's and his grandson is on the team now.

And they contained constant attacks on Bud as not being a help to the "U" during the fundraising campaign or in general. I played college ball with one of his sons and had met him and knew that to not be the case. I also remembered him as the Vikings coach where not one week would go by with out "stonefaced" or "unemotional" being thrown about. Art, I knew the truth before but was happy to see that of all those featured pre-game, he was the one who seemed most effected by the shear emotional weight we all talked about all summer long. Might be time to valet park your high horse pal.

Bud's emotions in the pregame made me choke up.

High Horse? I was simply pointing out your inaccuracy. I cannot sense sarcasm on a message board.

I have not stated one thing that is not true...

High Horse? I was simply pointing out your inaccuracy. I cannot sense sarcasm on a message board.

What did I say was not accurate? He was precevied as unemontional and unhelpful. please show me one untrue thing.

You came on here as the fixer of non-existing mistatements. I know Bud's past as well as you do since I played Football under Bud's long time friend and teammate, and had him attend many funtions I was at. I also heard him describe his time at Minnesota with many fond memories and stories. That smacks very much of Greater than thou b.s., which I called as high horse. I stand by it.

What did I say was not accurate? He was precevied as unemontional and unhelpful. please show me one untrue thing.

I believe Art is refering to where you state he had "no connection to the U"

I thought that whole segment was the best thing of the night - seeing Coach Warmath, Bobby Bell, etc .. and then the representatives of the other Gopher greats, including the recently deceased Billy Bye - all topped off by Bud. Outstanding.

There have been threads on this board...

I believe Art is refering to where you state he had "no connection to the U"

Dedicated to the idea that he has never shown any connection to the "U", I well know his past. I was commented on the feelings of some here, and more over to the community at large. Did you note the word accused?

Dedicated to the idea that he has never shown any connection to the "U", I well know his past. I was commented on the feelings of some here, and more over to the community at large. Did you note the word accused?

I'm just relaying what I thought Art was thinking ... don't shoot the messanger.

Talking with someone who talked with Bud, he was very emotional over Billy Bye not being there...I am pretty sure that's where all the tears came from.

That was a very emotional moment. Loved the opportunity to highlight some past greats and have many former Gophers on the field as well.

Doogie's comment about Bud Grant and Billy Bye and the close-knit bond of the "49ers" reminded me of a special picture on the Brickhouse website of the alumni team from 1957 (yes, they played an alumni game in those days, I think usually at the end of spring practice). Bud Grant is #13 on that photo. Billy Bye is at the far left in the third row. Next to Bye is Bob McNamara, and next to him is Jim Malosky (long-time UMD coach). Some other probables: #15=Wayne Robinson, #73=Leo Nomellini, #24=Verne Gagne; #22=Gino Cappelletti. Bernie Bierman is the white-haired gentleman in topcoat, next to Nomellini.

Bye was the one who hosted annual get-togethers of the 49er teammates (best Gopher team ever to not win a title). He died in a boating accident just a couple months ago, so Grant's emotion is quite understandable. I wonder how many of the players in this picture were among the 400 on the field last night.

Attachments

• Gopher57AlumTeam.jpg
    Gopher57AlumTeam.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 27

"High Horse"ing People = Daily Occurrence

People are telling people to get off their high horses far too often around here.

I have met Bud several times..

People are telling people to get off their high horses far too often around here.

Played for his very good friend, Jim Malosky. To come here a tell me was I wrong because of his own failing at reading comphenion, and presum to tell me what I know is, very high horsed. I failed at reading comprehension here on a thread before a got pillared for it. Has he come back to say he was sorry? Not yet. I did when I was wrong. I stand by my statement.

I demand someone gets on their low horse. This equestrianism is killing me on the inside.

What we know:

1. Bud Grant was a great player for the UofM.
2. Bud's Grandson is currently on the team.
3. Bud had a stoic persona on the field as coach of Vikings.
4. What made it emotional for many fans is seeing Bud show such emotion at this dedication.
5. Bud was a close friend to Billy Bye.
6. Billy Buy, Bob McNamara and many other "M" men have been out infront in their support.
7. Bud Grant has not been visible in promoting Gopher Football, Gopher Coaches, etc.

Bud Grant was visibly moved on Saturday. Was it just for Billy Bye or was he touched that he was being honored? Has he been secretly involved in U athletics behind the scenes or has distance himself for a reason?

Top Bottom