Shooter: Pssst there’s some question as to whether Jerry Kill will return to Rutgers

As many college head coaches I think Kill has a massive ego. Yes, I think Kill has a lot of all about me in him. He knew what came before him and played his opposite of that role to an audience that ate it up.

I don't think his ego is out of line with what you see at the highest levels of college head coaching, but you don't get to the top in that business without standing on a pile of figurative dead bodies. It's just the nature of the beast. Big-time college coaches play full-contact tiddly-winks. Kill has a country bumpkin schtick that he plays and that worked for him.

Like others, I was surprised when Rutgers named his offensive coordinator. Outside of a trick play or two, I always thought the Kill/Limegrover offense was about as imaginative as you see at a Pop Warner game, especially the passing game.

I think he should hang it up. I get the "you can't tell a man what to do" line, but after all the chest-thumping is over, reality should set in. I think anyone who thinks coaching in a pressure-packed atmosphere is more important than spending what may be limited time with one's children and grandchildren probably needs to check themselves. If he's determined to stay in football, he should coach D-2 or D-3.

I don't think his ego is out of line with what you see at the highest levels of college head coaching, but you don't get to the top in that business without standing on a pile of figurative dead bodies. It's just the nature of the beast. Big-time college coaches play full-contact tiddly-winks. Kill has a country bumpkin schtick that he plays and that worked for him.

Like others, I was surprised when Rutgers named his offensive coordinator. Outside of a trick play or two, I always thought the Kill/Limegrover offense was about as imaginative as you see at a Pop Warner game, especially the passing game.

I think he should hang it up. I get the "you can't tell a man what to do" line, but after all the chest-thumping is over, reality should set in. I think anyone who thinks coaching in a pressure-packed atmosphere is more important than spending what may be limited time with one's children and grandchildren probably needs to check themselves. If he's determined to stay in football, he should coach D-2 or D-3.

The guy has plenty of money. Just go sit on a beach in Mexico!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Best of luck to coach Kill.

Interesting timing. The day before early signing period.

May be out of respect for the recruits. Let them jump ship if Kill was the only reason they wanted to go to Rutgers, rather than have them sign them tell them "Sorry, Kill is retiring"?

Top Bottom