IMG Academy OL Daniel Faalele commits to the Gophers

Most of these guys had injuries and off the field issues derail their careers. 85% of 5 stars will turn out to be good college players. Not "lots and lots".

Entirely depends how you define "good".

Lots and lots does not mean 90% of 5 star high school players are busts.

High school talent has nothing to do with college talent, which is the point.

Lots and lots of "5 star" high school talent doesn't get converted to college talent, which is the point.

If this were true, that would mean the majority of 4/5 star players turn out to be busts. Is that what you're implying?

If this were true, that would mean the majority of 4/5 star players turn out to be busts. Is that what you're implying?

He is the king of the straw man argument. Don't waste your time.

If this were true, that would mean the majority of 4/5 star players turn out to be busts.

The sentence you quoted does not in any way, shape, or form mean that.

It means that high school talent does not guarantee college talent, which is the default assumption of far too many (IMO) on this board. And that attitude is what gives rise to blue chip players who think they have it made in the shade and don't have to work hard.

The sentence you quoted does not in any way, shape, or form mean that.

It means that high school talent does not guarantee college talent, which is the default assumption of far too many (IMO) on this board. And that attitude is what gives rise to blue chip players who think they have it made in the shade and don't have to work hard.

First you claimed that "high school talent has nothing to do with college talent", now you're claiming that "high school talent does not guarantee college talent". What's next on your sliding scale?

Either way, it's not a very good take.

First you claimed that "high school talent has nothing to do with college talent", now you're claiming that "high school talent does not guarantee college talent".

The two are/were completely equivalent in the context of the discussion.

First you claimed that "high school talent has nothing to do with college talent", now you're claiming that "high school talent does not guarantee college talent". What's next on your sliding scale?

Either way, it's not a very good take.

He also calls anything to do with recruiting 'fantasy'. Fantasy implies something having impossible or improbable chances of happening (by definition). That definitely doesn't jive with other posts now saying he means potential.

Yeah...not really. "Has nothing to do with" and "Does not guarantee" are not equivalents.

Your interpretation is your business.

At the very worst, I simply misworded it. I was always making the point that bringing in a highly ranked high school talent does not guarantee that you'll wind up with a highly talented college football player.

At the very worst, I simply misworded it. I was always making the point that bringing in a highly ranked high school talent does not guarantee that you'll wind up with a highly talented college football player.

Yes. The same way that bringing in a low rated high school player doesn’t guarantee you’re getting a bad football player.

Thanks for pointing out that literally nothing in life is a guarantee. Are there any other dead horses you want to beat?

Yes. The same way that bringing in a low rated high school player doesn’t guarantee you’re getting a bad football player.

Thanks for pointing out that literally nothing in life is a guarantee. Are there any other dead horses you want to beat?

Please stop quoting this turd, many of us flushed him down the ignore commode for a reason.

Completely agree. But the odds improve greatly, as I'm sure you'll agree.

Please stop quoting this turd, many of us flushed him down the ignore commode for a reason.

Yeah ... definitely an interesting one. Joins on November 4th, 2017. Does nothing but stir the pot and make strange, childish arguments. Can't tell if it's a well-disguised Wisconsin or NDSU troll. Seems more NDSU to me.

Completely agree. But the odds improve greatly, as I'm sure you'll agree.

I'm sure there is a common ground where we can agree.

But it absolutely is not the fantasy land where "ratings/rankings" from 247 et al are viewed as an omnipotent metric, able to slice through all of life's confounding externalities and cut right to the heart of how a high school player will perform in college. There is most definitely no agreement there, from me.

Yeah ... definitely an interesting one. Joins on November 4th, 2017. Does nothing but stir the pot and make strange, childish arguments. Can't tell if it's a well-disguised Wisconsin or NDSU troll. Seems more NDSU to me.

I was thinking more along the lines of which banned poster came back as this person

Glenn is busy in the fall with all of his BTN duties. Now he has more time to enlighten us all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did wish for a Tongan twin tower in OOPS Wrong Forum. We did get a half Tongan-half Samoan tall timber and a side kick to boot.

Faalele and Dunlap will not redshirt in 2018.

Faalele and Dunlap will not redshirt in 2018.

I really hope they both will. QB, OL, DL should virtually always redshirt, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redshirting is a function of not enough talent. They will play. We need to get used to having better talent coming in.

In addition, IMG is a great football prep school, not Eden Prairie.

I was thinking more along the lines of which banned poster came back as this person

Possibly.

I think it's a troll though.

I've literally never seen "Mnpls" as the short-hand for Minneapolis. Anyone from Minneapolis would have put "Mpls". I was willing to accept that maybe it was just an odd abbreviation or an attempt to be clever (combining Minnesota & Minneapolis to make "Mnpls"). Now, I think it's an NDSU person who just didn't realize that Minneapolis is shortened to Mpls.

Redshirting is a function of not enough talent. They will play. We need to get used to having better talent coming in.

In addition, IMG is a great football prep school, not Eden Prairie.

Redshirting is usually a function of having enough talent.

Most people are better football players at 23 than they are at 18. As much as Dunlap could help us next season, he would help us even more in 2022.

That said, we may or may not have that luxury.

Top Bottom