IMG Academy OL Daniel Faalele commits to the Gophers

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers have received a commitment from 3-star IMG Academy offensive lineman Daniel Faalele. He chose the Gophers over offers from a long list of schools, including Alabama, Georgia, Arkansas, Auburn and Florida State.

Faalele measures in at 6-foot-9, 400 pounds and hails from Australia. He journeyed to the United States to play football at IMG Academy. He joins fellow IMG alum and walk-on quarterback Zack Annexstad in the class of 2018 in Minnesota.

He was receiving extensive interest form power programs like Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, Miami and Michigan. He is currently ranked as the 29th offensive tackle in the country, according to 24/7 composite rankings. He will be playing in the Under Armour All-American game and in January. He will be able to enroll for the next semester to get familiar with the playbook and coaching staff. His massive frame is definitely the storyline, but his agile feet will make him intriguing. He has experience playing both rugby and basketball, which has helped him develop athletically. When you see his frame, there isn't a lack of bend and that's encouraging with the length he possesses. Faalele is the type of freak specimen every coach gets excited about. He'll need to be coached extensively to develop technique because of his inexperience at the position. He is one of the nation's most coveted developmental offensive lineman and offensive line coach Ed Warinner has to be excited to work with him.

The Gophers have a plethora of offensive line talent to work with, including Blaise Andries, Faalele and the addition of fellow IMG Academy teammate Curtis Dunlap.

Learn more about Dunlap here, including my NFL comp for him: http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?80187-Florida-(IMG-Academy)-guard-Curtis-Dunlap-commits-to-the-Gophers

Faalele has a younger brother Taylor (who, at 11, is already 6 feet and 260 pounds).

E hoʻolauna aku i ka Big Ten Daniel Fa'alele!

Faalele had very good coaching at IMG. He spent two year there according to TDG. Junior year learning the game and Senior game playing. Not as far behind as has been indicated in many posts. Warinner must be very happy. Now get him Dickson!

Warinner now has instant starters and depth to develop.

No idea what kind of offensive schemes that IMG ran, but blocking schemes in general can be very complicated to learn with a complex offense. And there are many different physical techniques that OL have to learn as well. These are things that they usually start learning in college. In high school, a lot of these guys are just so much bigger, stronger, etc. than the lineman they play against, that they can just bend over at the waist and pile drive the other kids into the ground.

That doesn't work in college.

I absolutely will be rooting for this guy. But I think he has a LOT, LOT to learn from Coach Warinner. I hope that he is willing to admit that he isn't ready for the NFL right now, has an open mind that he can learn a ton from our position coach and from the older players who have been here a while, and soak it in for a year or two, before he gets his chance.

Good luck Daniel!

I think he is a worthy project. If Warinner pulls it off and this kid works hard, he potentially can be a big contributor on the OL.

You can't teach big and tall. This kid has untapped natural ability.

Red shirting him will do wonders. If they can work with him to shed off 25 lbs, he can add more power and muscle strength to toss or pancake DLs. Maybe get a midget RB to run and hide behind the tall trees.

All kidding aside, if he red shirts then spend time in the practice squad in addition to strength and conditioning and the nutrition center I can't help but be excited for his potential in his Junior and Senior year..

Wonder if he will redshirt. Might be good for him but nonetheless two very nice pickups. Are we capped out or can we sign more guys?

No idea what kind of offensive schemes that IMG ran, but blocking schemes in general can be very complicated to learn with a complex offense. And there are many different physical techniques that OL have to learn as well. These are things that they usually start learning in college. In high school, a lot of these guys are just so much bigger, stronger, etc. than the lineman they play against, that they can just bend over at the waist and pile drive the other kids into the ground.

That doesn't work in college.

I absolutely will be rooting for this guy. But I think he has a LOT, LOT to learn from Coach Warinner. I hope that he is willing to admit that he isn't ready for the NFL right now, has an open mind that he can learn a ton from our position coach and from the older players who have been here a while, and soak it in for a year or two, before he gets his chance.

Good luck Daniel!

Why would he think that he is ready for the NFL right now? You must have read something about him that I did not.

Wonder if he will redshirt. Might be good for him but nonetheless two very nice pickups. Are we capped out or can we sign more guys?

With the number of OL commits (assuming they all sign), I’ve got to believe quite a few will RS. I would want to spread out he numbers between classes some. Faalele seems like a good candidate, since he is still learning the game.

From looking at his pics, he looks pretty lean, for his weight. It’s not clear that he has to shed weight. He may replace some body fat with more muscle, which could actually increase his weight. I’ll be interested to see what his playing weight ends up being.

From the articles, he seems pretty strong already. He is a very intriguing prospect! Let’s get him signed and the enjoy the ride!

Go Gophers! RTB!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would he think that he is ready for the NFL right now? You must have read something about him that I did not.

I didn't read it anywhere. I said "I hope".

With the number of OL commits (assuming they all sign), I’ve got to believe quite a few will RS. I would want to spread out he numbers between classes some. Faalele seems like a good candidate, since he is still learning the game.

From looking at his pics, he looks pretty lean, for his weight. It’s not clear that he has to shed weight. He may replace some body fat with more muscle, which could actually increase his weight. I’ll be interested to see what his playing weight ends up being.

From the articles, he seems pretty strong already. He is a very intriguing prospect! Let’s get him signed and the enjoy the ride!

Go Gophers! RTB!

Height and weight room strength look great on paper.

But a huge amount of performance on the OL comes down to being able to bend the knees, get the center of gravity low, and avoid bending at the waist. These can be very hard habits to break and learn, if the player learned the wrong way in high school.

Faalele had very good coaching at IMG. He spent two year there according to TDG. Junior year learning the game and Senior game playing. Not as far behind as has been indicated in many posts. Warinner must be very happy. Now get him Dickson!

Warinner now has instant starters and depth to develop.

I hope you're not referring to Faleele with this.

Yeah, another word of caution: no need to "trash" the current guys on our roster, in a sense.

Especially guys who were just recruited last year. Andries, and I also think Rousemiller could be a good one from the twin cities. And it's not like Greene and Schuelter aren't going to be the starting tackles next year, either.

Great recruits, glad they've verballed. But we need not anoint them starters yet.

I wonder if he has CATERPILLLAR tattoed on his side? :confused:

Dunlap is only Freshmen with a shot to play this fall, I would guess.

Hadn't seen this video until now. Goes a little further in depth on Faalele with interviews. Seems like a good kid.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He did say starters and players to develope. I can see the JC guy and Dunlap getting a lot of play time this year. Hopefully the other 5 OL will redshirt

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well, Big Ten 4-3 d ends are not going to weigh 200 lbs like that guy. Nor are they going to bull rush every time and work no outside moves, while allowing you to put your hands directly on their chest. But solid work nonetheless!

Well, Big Ten 4-3 d ends are not going to weigh 200 lbs like that guy. Nor are they going to bull rush every time and work no outside moves, while allowing you to put your hands directly on their chest. But solid work nonetheless!

Huh?

This guy is 6-6, 235 and a top 5 player in the country. He is apparently in the conversation to be the new #1 overall recruit.

He likely is already is better than most DE's in the Big Ten and any DE on our roster and could be a possible All SEC guy or at least honorable mention next year. Huge feat for Faalele to win in one on one's against him.

Top Bottom