IMG Academy OL Daniel Faalele commits to the Gophers

Huh?

This guy is 6-6, 235 and a top 5 player in the country. He is apparently in the conversation to be the new #1 overall recruit.

He likely is already is better than most DE's in the Big Ten and any DE on our roster and could be a possible All SEC guy or at least honorable mention next year. Huge feat for Faalele to win in one on one's against him.

Calm down. He is a great recruit (and probably is better than any DE on our roster, though that isn't saying much), but he absolutely is not already better than most DEs in the Big Ten. He would get eaten alive at 235 by even mediocre Big Ten OTs. In a year or two, when he's 260-270? Sure.

Calm down. He is a great recruit (and probably is better than any DE on our roster, though that isn't saying much), but he absolutely is not already better than most DEs in the Big Ten. He would get eaten alive at 235 by even mediocre Big Ten OTs. In a year or two, when he's 260-270? Sure.

I would say most D-lineman/ 3-4 OLB types that have been ranked in that range (top 7 on the country) typically are at least above average for the P5 level as true freshman. I'd say Rashan Gary, Nick Bosa and Chase Young of Michigan and OSU, three guys that I probably watched the most of, were above average as true freshman. Some guys like Joey Bosa, Clowney, Myles Garrett and Ed Oliver were some of the best in their conference at their position as true freshman. Guys like Josh Sweat, Robert Nkemdiche, Carl Lawson, Cece Jefferson were good or at least above average as true freshman. Some have been less successful.

So I'll take it back that he will likely be better than most Big Ten DE's (although its certainly possible he could be) but I still maintain it's more likely than not he will be better than an average Big Ten DE/OLB type as a true freshman. And TJ Watt, Vince Biegel at Wisconsin and Carroll Philips at Illinois, three of the best Big Ten pass rushers two years ago were all between 240-245 and certainly had their way with Big Ten OT's. So at 235, he might not be phenomenal against the run early on, he is plenty big enough to be a very good pass rusher which I believe is his primary strength (which makes this clip that much more impressive for Faalele).

More bad takes from Dolly.

Randy Gregory was the same size and dominated at Nebraska. I could list plenty of others, but Dolly is sensitive.

Dion Jordan was also listed at 243 at Oregon his last year and ended up as the #3 pick in the draft. If 243 is good enough for #3 in the draft and Gregory's 240 was good enough to be a second round pick, then at 235, Anoma is big enough to not "get eaten alive by even mediocre Big Ten OT's". And as I said in my previous post, TJ Watt, Vince Biegel and Carroll Philips were all in the 240-245 range and were some of the best pass edge rushers in the conference last year.

Actually Vic Beasley was only 235 as a 4-3 DE at Clemson and was one of the best players in the country and the draft that year. Sure didn't eaten alive by mediocre ACC OT's that year.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Faalele seems to have quick feet with good lateral movement and balance. He easily handled the first rush by Eyabi. It looked like Eyabi surprised him on the second rush by going right at him, but he recovered pretty well. I’m glad we have Faalele.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Faalele seems to have quick feet with good lateral movement and balance. He easily handled the first rush by Eyabi. It looked like Eyabi surprised him on the second rush by going right at him, but he recovered pretty well. I’m glad we have Faalele.

Yes, Daniel looks very promising! He's a big fella too.

More bad takes from Dolly.

Randy Gregory was the same size and dominated at Nebraska. I could list plenty of others, but Dolly is sensitive.

I hate searching on my iPad. Can you post his freshman stats?

I hate searching on my iPad. Can you post his freshman stats?

Gregory played Juco his first two years.

His point was that he was the same size as this guy is now and it didn't stop him from dominating. Although I suppose Campion and co did have their way with him.

This is the point I was going to make but I think it needs emphasis. Everyone has gotten lost in the fact that Faalele had 160 lbs on the DE but HIS FEET ARE QUICK ENOUGH TO COUNTER MOVES FROM THE NUMBER ONE EDGE RUSHER IN THE COUNTRY.

Can we maybe talk about that some? The guy is 400 lbs and has played the game for a year. He has a chance to break the mold.

Another thing to keep in mind is that this drill is pretty much set up to put the o-lineman in the worst situation possible. In an actual game, it is basically 4th and 15. A huge advantage that a LT has over a DE is that he knows what play is coming, and can block accordingly. This drill offers no threat of a running play or designed bootleg. As long as the o-lineman doesn't get completely embarrassed, I'm usually pretty impressed. Full disclosure: I have never played or coached football so I'll take it in stride if I'm way off base.

Many of us automatically assume that a 400 pound player is fat and can't move and is easily beaten. Faalele is a different beast. His feet are quick and he covers a lot of ground, but it is his size that is staggering. In the clip you see Eyabi use a spin move on Faalele and all he does is spin into Faalele. With him and Dunlap playing side by side you have something that football has seldom seen. Warriner has a chance to build a great OL here. He has ample quality personnel to work with for the first time here. We should have better OLs than in the Mason era. I do not say that lightly.

Dunlap and Faalele will protect anybody's blind side. You have the makings of a dynamic duo.

Many of us automatically assume that a 400 pound player is fat and can't move and is easily beaten. Faalele is a different beast. His feet are quick and he covers a lot of ground, but it is his size that is staggering. In the clip you see Eyabi use a spin move on Faalele and all he does is spin into Faalele. With him and Dunlap playing side by side you have something that football has seldom seen. Warriner has a chance to build a great OL here. He has ample quality personnel to work with for the first time here. We should have better OLs than in the Mason era. I do not say that lightly.

This is my sentiment exactly. Faalele isn't a giant, fat man - he has legitimate athleticism. I just hope that the Gophers stay patient and continue to redshirt their young players as much as possible. I know most are putting Dunlap into the starting lineup but I would still rather sit him this year and get to use him as a 5th year senior than as a true freshman. I'm willing to see us lose a game next year to win two more games in 3-4 years.

Either way it's really fun to see some of the potential that's showing up on campus. It feels way less like we need to 'coach 'em up' like prior regimes promoted. They need coaching but they're starting from a better place....

This guy is 6-6, 235 and a top 5 player in the country. He is apparently in the conversation to be the new #1 overall recruit.

Maybe he has weighed 235 at some point in his life, but not that guy in the video. I'm sure he'll be a great player, as long as he works hard.

As for being the best recruit ... if it's all based on potential, again, fine.

He likely is already is better than most DE's in the Big Ten and any DE on our roster

Pure fantasy

This is my sentiment exactly. Faalele isn't a giant, fat man - he has legitimate athleticism. I just hope that the Gophers stay patient and continue to redshirt their young players as much as possible. I know most are putting Dunlap into the starting lineup but I would still rather sit him this year and get to use him as a 5th year senior than as a true freshman. I'm willing to see us lose a game next year to win two more games in 3-4 years.

Either way it's really fun to see some of the potential that's showing up on campus. It feels way less like we need to 'coach 'em up' like prior regimes promoted. They need coaching but they're starting from a better place....

Agree. I have never been more willing to wait than after we signed this last class. I have been waiting forever but it's been waiting for lightning in a bottle from "hidden gems". We now have star power that we have to teach and strengthen. I am pumped for next 3 years!

Careful what you wish for.

I get what you're saying but we need high level talent at each position in the entire 2 deep. By taking high level talent at every position, we have athletic ability built in. Will that mean they will be all conference? No. But getting the inconsistencies from trying to turn guys like still and register into playmakers was not working.

I'm excited for the future!

I get what you're saying but we need high level talent at each position in the entire 2 deep. By taking high level talent at every position, we have athletic ability built in. Will that mean they will be all conference? No. But getting the inconsistencies from trying to turn guys like still and register into playmakers was not working.

I'm excited for the future!

And you're rightly excited. And so am I.

I just want to make the distinction, because I'm a stickler on this type of stuff (perhaps excessively so): we didn't take high talent .... we took high potential.

The correct attitude for Dunlap and Faalele to have when they get here later this month, is that they're here to learn all they can this spring from coach Warinner and especially from the guys who have been here, and work hard! Perhaps they will see playing time in 2018 as true freshman. Ideally not, but we don't know yet.

Very cool! That little 20 second clip of Daniel showed to me he is blessed. If Dunlap is rated better, those two are going to push the bar higher for the offensive line even if they don't play as true freshman. However, they both may not be here after 3 years?

Very cool! That little 20 second clip of Daniel showed to me he is blessed. If Dunlap is rated better, those two are going to push the bar higher for the offensive line even if they don't play as true freshman. However, they both may not be here after 3 years?

Why wouldn't they be?

Caught a bit of the UA practice on ESPNU and saw an interview with Faalele. Seems like a big, soft spoken, nice kid. Always nice to hear Minnesota in a positive context and some Row the Boat references from the commentators.

And you're rightly excited. And so am I.

I just want to make the distinction, because I'm a stickler on this type of stuff (perhaps excessively so): we didn't take high talent .... we took high potential.

The correct attitude for Dunlap and Faalele to have when they get here later this month, is that they're here to learn all they can this spring from coach Warinner and especially from the guys who have been here, and work hard! Perhaps they will see playing time in 2018 as true freshman. Ideally not, but we don't know yet.

That makes absolutely zero sense. They are not mutually exclusive concepts. Clearly both of the kids are talented, otherwise they wouldn't be starting for one of the absolute best high school teams in the country. They also have POTENTIAL to be great college players. Tough to have potential without any talent.....

That makes absolutely zero sense. They are not mutually exclusive concepts. Clearly both of the kids are talented, otherwise they wouldn't be starting for one of the absolute best high school teams in the country. They also have POTENTIAL to be great college players. Tough to have potential without any talent.....

High school talent has nothing to do with college talent, which is the point.

Lots and lots of "5 star" high school talent doesn't get converted to college talent, which is the point.

High school talent has nothing to do with college talent, which is the point.

Lots and lots of "5 star" high school talent doesn't get converted to college talent, which is the point.

Go and make a list of all the 5 star high school talent that don't turn out to be good college players. We'll be waiting.

Go and make a list of all the 5 star high school talent that don't turn out to be good college players. We'll be waiting.

What's a "good" college player? We'll be waiting

"Well he must have been a good college player, after all he was rated 5 stars in high school!"

Top Bottom