Dunlap and Faalee Commit!!

As my late father (huge Gopher football fan) used to say, HOLY CATS!

Big weekend for Gopher recruiting. Congratulations to these young men on a great college choice.

GO GOPHERS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the parents may have moved stateside too. I know they were in Alabama for an OV three weeks ago, and also visited Georgia for a game.
Ok think about this; PJ Fleck just beat Alabama and Florida for 2 recruits. I can get used to this.

GH custom - too funny. Over/under on percentage of posts over the next 5 years with this guy’s name intact?

Off the top of my head I couldn't remember the actually spelling of his last name, so I went ahead and took the starter of the threads word for it since it was at the top of the screen. I just figured the overall excitement would have had people look past it if it was wrong haha ;)

I looked up how to pronounce his name the other night, and it said Fah-Lay-Lay so I should have automatically knew it was wrong spelling.

On paper, this looks good for the future.

But, the last time I checked, they don't play the games on paper. They play on grass or turf.

I feel the same way about all recruits. I will get excited when I see them on the field, making plays that help the Gophers win. Until that happens, they represent potential. Potential is great, but a lot of guys have potential. Some players realize their potential, some players don't. You can say I'm being a wet blanket. I say I'm being pragmatic. If you promise you're going to give me $20, I can't take that promise to a store and buy some food. If you actually give me $20, then I can go to the store.

Point being - no one knows what the future holds. We can hope these guys will: 1. sign a LOI on signing day. 2. go to class 3. stay out of trouble and 4. play well. If you want to get excited about potential and hope, that is your choice. I will get excited when I see tangible results on the field. That is my choice.

That holds true, but in college football you have to take recruiting as exciting as the actual games. Games are played for close to 4 months while recruiting takes up the rest. Its always fun to see the offers of other players, and then be able to think about the ways they can help this team in the future. Have some fun that we just got two lineman that were pretty coveted.

Off the top of my head I couldn't remember the actually spelling of his last name, so I went ahead and took the starter of the threads word for it since it was at the top of the screen. I just figured the overall excitement would have had people look past it if it was wrong haha ;)

I looked up how to pronounce his name the other night, and it said Fah-Lay-Lay so I should have automatically knew it was wrong spelling.

No worries it’s actually one of the best parts of GH for me and I’m guilty as charged at times. ‘Tis the season to be jolly - Let’s say it all together!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sE154vtGZms" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No worries it’s actually one of the best parts of GH for me and I’m guilty as charged at times. ‘Tis the season to be jolly - Let’s say it all together!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sE154vtGZms" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:clap: Haha absolutely perfect! Well done

I believe it's Fah-ah-LAY-lay.

A Christmas Story - One of my all time favorite Christmas cult films!

Great news. Can't forget Austin Beier in all of this. Makings of the kind of offensive line that can move some people around. York and Norton are also interesting guys although not as highly-regarded. Fleck and Warinner have done a great job getting these guys here and now it's time to get them to the next level.

Obviously a Polynesian name. I would have thought the second "a" would get a syllable too. Like FAH-ah-lay-lay.

This is turn around for the program we have been waiting for. The Lines have to dominate in the B1G. Quickly moving from Fleck skeptic to Fleck fan.

Are they January enrollees? If so, Warinner could have both ready to play by fall. Thanks to Brock Annexstad and Zack Annexstad. The IMG Connection is made. Now to maintain and grow it!

Obviously a Polynesian name. I would have thought the second "a" would get a syllable too. Like FAH-ah-lay-lay.

This is turn around for the program we have been waiting for. The Lines have to dominate in the B1G. Quickly moving from Fleck skeptic to Fleck fan.

Are they January enrollees? If so, Warinner could have both ready to play by fall. Thanks to Brock Annexstad and Zack Annexstad. The IMG Connection is made. Now to maintain and grow it!

Wins are all that matter. Just win baby.

I read somewhere else it is:

Fah-ah-LAY-lay.

Four syllables.

Let's work on this everyone.

I liked the big boys, especially in the Big 10. With the Alabama transfer Smith on board for next year, along with these two guys, our boys will look intimidating walking off the bus.
Are these three the largest players that would put on a Gopher uniform? I remember Jeff Willis during the Brewster years was one large dude. Jake Kuppe during the Mason tenure was big too. Any others?

On paper, this looks good for the future.

But, the last time I checked, they don't play the games on paper. They play on grass or turf.

I feel the same way about all recruits. I will get excited when I see them on the field, making plays that help the Gophers win. Until that happens, they represent potential. Potential is great, but a lot of guys have potential. Some players realize their potential, some players don't. You can say I'm being a wet blanket. I say I'm being pragmatic. If you promise you're going to give me $20, I can't take that promise to a store and buy some food. If you actually give me $20, then I can go to the store.

Point being - no one knows what the future holds. We can hope these guys will: 1. sign a LOI on signing day. 2. go to class 3. stay out of trouble and 4. play well. If you want to get excited about potential and hope, that is your choice. I will get excited when I see tangible results on the field. That is my choice.

On paper, a wedding day is exciting. But we all know that 50 percent of all marriages end in divorce, so no sense being happy for the couple until we see them together for a few years. Until then, they just represent potential. We can hope this marriage lasts, but it's better to hold back your excitement for the couple until we see tangible proof that it will last.

On paper, a wedding day is exciting. But we all know that 50 percent of all marriages end in divorce, so no sense being happy for the couple until we see them together for a few years. Until then, they just represent potential. We can hope this marriage lasts, but it's better to hold back your excitement for the couple until we see tangible proof that it will last.

Well put. God forbid I get excited when buying a powerball ticket worth a potential $300,000,000.00. Since there's no guarantee of winning, I'll hold off getting excited about the possibilities until I have the actual check in hand.

I’m buying the hope. Although I did that last year as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw ESPN website picked up the story, mainly focused on Faalele: http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...niel-faalele-commits-minnesota-golden-gophers

These Pacific Islander guys are just massive. Have had some historically great NFL linemen among them, though their main fame in the world is in rugby.

Just really hope the fame doesn't go to his head, in the sense that he thinks he already has it made. There is just a ton of hard, hard work lying on the road ahead for this young man ... and that doesn't even say anything about school. It's all there for him to take. He just has to be willing to work for it and earn it. Good luck to him!

I’m buying the hope. Although I did that last year as well.

So then there's no way you can have been burned, yet.

Fleck said from day 1 that this was not going to be instantaneous success. It will take years.

Let's try this: if you are so excited about a player saying he plans to play for the Gophers - mind you, this is a verbal commitment - they haven't signed yet -

will you give me a 100% guarantee that they will go on to have productive careers at MN?

No, you won't - because you can't. There are no guarantees in sports.

It was pointed out that Dunlap is the highest-rated OL commit for the Gophers since Jimmy Gjere. Gjere played one year with the Gophers, then retired from FB due to concussions. No guarantees.

If, 2 or 3 years from now, these guys are playing for the Gophers and helping the team win games, I will be very happy. I'm just not going to jump up and down and throw a party before they play a single game in a college uniform.

50 years of "we're going to be so much better next year with the new recruits."

As to the lottery comparison - sure, you can be excited about the possibility of winning the lottery - but if you go out and buy a new car before the drawing, and you don't win, then you're hosed. And the wedding comparison - unless the bride and groom have never met before, then there is a pre-existing relationship on which to base the wedding. Recruits are like a blind date - you don't know what you're going to get. And you sure don't book the church and the reception hall for a wedding before the 1st date.

But "we're going to be so much better next year with the new recruits." Yah, sure. I've never heard that before.

Let's try this: if you are so excited about a player saying he plans to play for the Gophers - mind you, this is a verbal commitment - they haven't signed yet -

will you give me a 100% guarantee that they will go on to have productive careers at MN?

No, you won't - because you can't. There are no guarantees in sports.

It was pointed out that Dunlap is the highest-rated OL commit for the Gophers since Jimmy Gjere. Gjere played one year with the Gophers, then retired from FB due to concussions. No guarantees.

If, 2 or 3 years from now, these guys are playing for the Gophers and helping the team win games, I will be very happy. I'm just not going to jump up and down and throw a party before they play a single game in a college uniform.

50 years of "we're going to be so much better next year with the new recruits."

As to the lottery comparison - sure, you can be excited about the possibility of winning the lottery - but if you go out and buy a new car before the drawing, and you don't win, then you're hosed. And the wedding comparison - unless the bride and groom have never met before, then there is a pre-existing relationship on which to base the wedding. Recruits are like a blind date - you don't know what you're going to get. And you sure don't book the church and the reception hall for a wedding before the 1st date.

But "we're going to be so much better next year with the new recruits." Yah, sure. I've never heard that before.

Dude, it’s December. There isn’t a real game for 9 months. We just landed 2 high-level recruits.

Should we not be excited and resume discussions about the Brewster era?

Wins are all that matter. Just win baby.

Of course. But Fleck is delivering big time in recruiting. We now have the highest rated OL, DL and WR groups in the internet era. One step at a time.

There's nothing wrong with being excited at signing day.

And there's nothing wrong with tempering expectations.

Top Bottom