Dunlap and Faalee Commit!!

Saw ESPN website picked up the story, mainly focused on Faalele: http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...niel-faalele-commits-minnesota-golden-gophers

These Pacific Islander guys are just massive. Have had some historically great NFL linemen among them, though their main fame in the world is in rugby.

Just really hope the fame doesn't go to his head, in the sense that he thinks he already has it made. There is just a ton of hard, hard work lying on the road ahead for this young man ... and that doesn't even say anything about school. It's all there for him to take. He just has to be willing to work for it and earn it. Good luck to him!

The most famous sumo grand champion wrestler in Japan until his retirement is Konishiki Yasokichi, Hawaiian born Saleva'a Fuauli Atisano'e who is Japanese Samoan. There are some big Polynesian dudes. Many are great athletes. Dwayne Johnson is part Samoan with royal pedigree. He is quite a pro wrestler in his playing days. I think he also played football.

Of course. But Fleck is delivering big time in recruiting. We now have the highest rated OL, DL and WR groups in the internet era. One step at a time.

No but's galty. Sign them.

Win.

In that order.

Let's try this: if you are so excited about a player saying he plans to play for the Gophers - mind you, this is a verbal commitment - they haven't signed yet -

will you give me a 100% guarantee that they will go on to have productive careers at MN?

No, you won't - because you can't. There are no guarantees in sports.

It was pointed out that Dunlap is the highest-rated OL commit for the Gophers since Jimmy Gjere. Gjere played one year with the Gophers, then retired from FB due to concussions. No guarantees.

If, 2 or 3 years from now, these guys are playing for the Gophers and helping the team win games, I will be very happy. I'm just not going to jump up and down and throw a party before they play a single game in a college uniform.

50 years of "we're going to be so much better next year with the new recruits."

As to the lottery comparison - sure, you can be excited about the possibility of winning the lottery - but if you go out and buy a new car before the drawing, and you don't win, then you're hosed. And the wedding comparison - unless the bride and groom have never met before, then there is a pre-existing relationship on which to base the wedding. Recruits are like a blind date - you don't know what you're going to get. And you sure don't book the church and the reception hall for a wedding before the 1st date.

But "we're going to be so much better next year with the new recruits." Yah, sure. I've never heard that before.

Really? Don’t be such a curmudgeon! Is there anything in life that you can enjoy without nitpicking it to death?
We just got a couple of big recruits to reinforce a critical need and all you can do is emphasize any possible negative that you can dig up. Try enjoying the moment once in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I follow sports because I want guarantees

How dumb am I?

I liked the big boys, especially in the Big 10. With the Alabama transfer Smith on board for next year, along with these two guys, our boys will look intimidating walking off the bus.
Are these three the largest players that would put on a Gopher uniform? I remember Jeff Willis during the Brewster years was one large dude. Jake Kuppe during the Mason tenure was big too. Any others?

Pirsig.

Yesterday I was hosting my wife's Christmas Party, and then we were at the Church providing food for a Christmas Program. I get up this morning come back from Church and this happens? With the early signing period now in place this is the best news in Minnesota recruiting.

Nice gets for sure. If Fleck can get them all signed, it should get this class inside the top 40.

I'm getting my Gopher national championship banners ready!!! Just like my popcorn!!!

I liked the big boys, especially in the Big 10. With the Alabama transfer Smith on board for next year, along with these two guys, our boys will look intimidating walking off the bus.
Are these three the largest players that would put on a Gopher uniform? I remember Jeff Willis during the Brewster years was one large dude. Jake Kuppe during the Mason tenure was big too. Any others?

A couple years ago we had Jon Ragoo. Never played but was 6-7 400. Described as big as the bus that brought him.

Dickson just committed btw...:)

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

On paper, a wedding day is exciting. But we all know that 50 percent of all marriages end in divorce, so no sense being happy for the couple until we see them together for a few years. Until then, they just represent potential. We can hope this marriage lasts, but it's better to hold back your excitement for the couple until we see tangible proof that it will last.

Lol well done.

Let's try this: if you are so excited about a player saying he plans to play for the Gophers - mind you, this is a verbal commitment - they haven't signed yet -

will you give me a 100% guarantee that they will go on to have productive careers at MN?

No, you won't - because you can't. There are no guarantees in sports.

It was pointed out that Dunlap is the highest-rated OL commit for the Gophers since Jimmy Gjere. Gjere played one year with the Gophers, then retired from FB due to concussions. No guarantees.

If, 2 or 3 years from now, these guys are playing for the Gophers and helping the team win games, I will be very happy. I'm just not going to jump up and down and throw a party before they play a single game in a college uniform.

50 years of "we're going to be so much better next year with the new recruits."

As to the lottery comparison - sure, you can be excited about the possibility of winning the lottery - but if you go out and buy a new car before the drawing, and you don't win, then you're hosed. And the wedding comparison - unless the bride and groom have never met before, then there is a pre-existing relationship on which to base the wedding. Recruits are like a blind date - you don't know what you're going to get. And you sure don't book the church and the reception hall for a wedding before the 1st date.

But "we're going to be so much better next year with the new recruits." Yah, sure. I've never heard that before.

If we get a sack do you refuse to get excited because it doesn’t gaurantee we stop them from scoring? If we have a huge play on offense, do you refuse to get excited because it doesn’t guarantee we will score? If we score, do you refuse to get excited because it doesn’t guarantee we will win? If we win, do you refuse to get excited because it doesn’t guarantee a championship? If we win a championship, will you refuse to get excited because it doesn’t gaurantee long-term, sustained success? We know some recruits don’t pan out. Reminding us every chance you get is insufferable.

Stop fighting and just enjoy that we got two huge commits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all due respect to dpo, I think getting a 4 stars with no connection to the U is unprecedented. All those previous 4 stars either had a connection to the U or were damaged goods. In the case of Jeff Jones both. Also Clint Brewster was only a 4 star because his dad is tight with the people doing the rankings. Yes we have had 4 stars but they typical are busts minus Coughlin who is developing into a star.

Spent a weekend at the cabin away from internet. Great news to come back to.

Never heard about this Faalee guy until a radio show last week. Had to look him up after I heard about him. Holy crap, what an offer list!

Very raw though. I'm sure the other schools viewed him as a project...Gophers maybe had the playing time to offer him? Either that, or they showed him the love. Heard Fleck flew his family in from Australia.

For all of you that think Faalele is a long ways off from being ready, have you seen any of his film? It will change your mind.

Dumb question but... can Faalele tackle?
He could block things up as a nose tackle, couldn't he?

Top Bottom