What Happened to this Team?

The Depth issue will define this team for good or bad.

Unless Pitino is going to turn into Thibs and play his starters 40 minutes a game, the bench has to contribute. I don't care how good your starters are, if you don't get some contribution from the bench, you're not going to beat strong opponents.

Curry's injury is proving to be a much bigger loss than I (and others) imagined. I thought/hoped Fitzgerald would make more of a contribution, and I thought/hoped they would get more from Washington and Harris.

The Gophers are talented enough to win their share of games the rest of the way. But, if you're hoping to contend for a B1G title, or make a run in the NCAA tournament, the bench has to make a much bigger contribution. That's it. end of story.

Unless Pitino is going to turn into Thibs and play his starters 40 minutes a game, the bench has to contribute. I don't care how good your starters are, if you don't get some contribution from the bench, you're not going to beat strong opponents.

Curry's injury is proving to be a much bigger loss than I (and others) imagined. I thought/hoped Fitzgerald would make more of a contribution, and I thought/hoped they would get more from Washington and Harris.

The Gophers are talented enough to win their share of games the rest of the way. But, if you're hoping to contend for a B1G title, or make a run in the NCAA tournament, the bench has to make a much bigger contribution. That's it. end of story.

Fair and balanced post

We have no bench. McHale et al. ain't walking through those doors. We have to stay out of foul trouble while playing better team defense. Having never seen Fitzgerald play I was skeptical but I expected him to contribute much more than he has.

The are now used to playing against three players. Going against five is too hard.

Well y'all were so mad how they performed against it and wanted them to work on it. So clearly they have. Non-stop. Happy now? :cool:

5 wasted scholarships finally caught up to us. You can only ride a 6 man roster for so long. Hopefully Pitino remembers that injuries are actually a thing next time he blows a scholarship on someone like Stockman.

This team cannot play from behind because they can’t stop anyone. Unless we flat out outscore another team, it’s not happening because this team has zero defensive identity.

I was hoping the could sneak coach Mo back on the plane the other night. Tubby's offenses were painful to watch, but his defenses were never this bad.

Say bye bye to a top 25 ranking

Rankings. The one thing people can't get out of their head. Give me a top 25 ranking later in the season and I'm good. Right now could care less. Should be 14-3 and 3-1 in big ten by Jan. 6th. There are plenty of wins out there still.

This s a great post by SON. I was real concerned after hearing that Curry blew out his knee but had blindly assumed that Fitzgerald was a solid replacement for this year. I was much more concerned about the lack of an obvious replacement for Akeem Springs, who lead this team to many wins last year. Considering how the MTSU game went without Springs, and how this team has looked so far, other than the Providence game, the loss of Springs is huge.

I really hope Fitzgerald can knock of the rust or at least recover enough to be serviceable backup, because right now he looks lost, physically and mentally.

This is really sad, but the only highlight for me tonight was the play of Gas, #41. I like him way more than Konote, he has good balance, and moves fairly well, and if he can finish at all he might make a difference. He does not set moving screens all day, and does not foul too much.

At this point, Hurt and Washington might need to be the difference, since a 6 deep Thibbs approach will not work.. Hurt needs to start shooting and driving hard to the hoop and sit his ass if he won't do it; , Pitino needs to start playing more small ball with Mason and Washington, with a huge green light to Washington to shoot and push up the floor and to the basket.

Small ball is going to have to work, since expecting Lynch to not commit awful fouls is too much to ask. He pushed #23 in the back right in front of the official for no apparent purpose to pick up #4 tonight.

Oh well, at least Wisconsin is rancid this year, even with the great Nathan Reuvers burning the red shirt. Marquette 82, Wisc. 63 ... 4-7 record

Gophers lack athletes,shooters,and and finishers. Pitino is a below average coach who we’d be blessed finds another job. He cheats for east coast players that are no better than local players. Our AAU program is,trouncing other states, Pitino is blessed to recruit our state...

HAHAHAHAHA. Come on.

Did you not notice the rain of 3's? Same old Reggie on foul #2. Stupid foul, no need. Then act like it wasn't a foul.

Would not have mattered. Gopher offense has no flow. Did you see the # of times the handoff between murphy and Mason was disrupted and the ball was in play?

Would not have mattered.

This s a great post by SON. I was real concerned after hearing that Curry blew out his knee but had blindly assumed that Fitzgerald was a solid replacement for this year. I was much more concerned about the lack of an obvious replacement for Akeem Springs, who lead this team to many wins last year. Considering how the MTSU game went without Springs, and how this team has looked so far, other than the Providence game, the loss of Springs is huge.

I really hope Fitzgerald can knock of the rust or at least recover enough to be serviceable backup, because right now he looks lost, physically and mentally.

This is really sad, but the only highlight for me tonight was the play of Gas, #41. I like him way more than Konote, he has good balance, and moves fairly well, and if he can finish at all he might make a difference. He does not set moving screens all day, and does not foul too much.

At this point, Hurt and Washington might need to be the difference, since a 6 deep Thibbs approach will not work.. Hurt needs to start shooting and driving hard to the hoop and sit his ass if he won't do it; , Pitino needs to start playing more small ball with Mason and Washington, with a huge green light to Washington to shoot and push up the floor and to the basket.

Small ball is going to have to work, since expecting Lynch to not commit awful fouls is too much to ask. He pushed #23 in the back right in front of the official for no apparent purpose to pick up #4 tonight.

Oh well, at least Wisconsin is rancid this year, even with the great Nathan Reuvers burning the red shirt. Marquette 82, Wisc. 63 ... 4-7 record

Perfectly stated.

5 wasted scholarships finally caught up to us. You can only ride a 6 man roster for so long. Hopefully Pitino remembers that injuries are actually a thing next time he blows a scholarship on someone like Stockman.

Well, at least we can be pretty confident going forward that Richard won't need to take a player from dad's roster.

Yes, I agree Gaston's unexpectedly decent performance was probably the lone bright spot of the game. We have some weaker opponents coming and he needs to get regular minutes to get better oriented to his role.

I agree that this team probably does have to go small more often. I would add Harris as another player who needs to play more. I'm not sure at this point that Hurt has it in him to do the things you want him to do. Hurt and Fitzgerald play as if they know that they aren't any good. I'll take a player like Washington any day over players like them. Washington may be inefficient but at least he believes he can make things happen and acts accordingly.

Gophers lack athletes,shooters,and and finishers. Pitino is a below average coach who we’d be blessed finds another job. He cheats for east coast players that are no better than local players. Our AAU program is,trouncing other states, Pitino is blessed to recruit our state...

He has three players from the state on the roster. He recruited three more for next year. One of the in-state players he has on the roster now doesn't look like he has the ability to play at this level. Another in-state player formerly on the roster started an amazing amount of games given his level of talent. He has a grand total of two east coast players on the roster (McBrayer and Washington). I'm not sure what you mean by "cheats" and I don't really care because you seem to have a head full of nonsense.

Having said all of that, I do wish we had gone harder after McKinley Wright who appears to be tearing it up for Colorado.

I hope you get gang raped

Gophers did not look good this week, but that happens on the road and teams goes through downturns at different points during a season. They may not be as good as some of us thought or hoped, but they’re also not as bad as some are now saying. Still a good team, but they have some weaknesses as stated previously by many different posts.

Talked with people about this last year, and becoming apparent again this year, Springs made a huge impact on this team! Like Vinnie “The Microwave” Johnson, he changed the game immediately when he was on the floor. I think everyone was hoping Washington could fill that void this year, but thus far he has not produced. Sometimes you see freshman settle in after Xmas, hopefully this is the case.

To go back to Springs, I hope Pitino looks out for him for years to come. In my opinion, he saved him his job and was huge reason between a mediocre season and a very good season...and that very good season last year helped to land a very good class coming in next year.

Leadership.....not much there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Gophers did not look good this week, but that happens on the road and teams goes through downturns at different points during a season. They may not be as good as some of us thought or hoped, but they’re also not as bad as some are now saying. Still a good team, but they have some weaknesses as stated previously by many different posts.

Talked with people about this last year, and becoming apparent again this year, Springs made a huge impact on this team! Like Vinnie “The Microwave” Johnson, he changed the game immediately when he was on the floor. I think everyone was hoping Washington could fill that void this year, but thus far he has not produced. Sometimes you see freshman settle in after Xmas, hopefully this is the case.

To go back to Springs, I hope Pitino looks out for him for years to come. In my opinion, he saved him his job and was huge reason between a mediocre season and a very good season...and that very good season last year helped to land a very good class coming in next year.

I wholeheartedly agree with this post!

I hope you get gang raped.

He has three players from the state on the roster. He recruited three more for next year. One of the in-state players he has on the roster now doesn't look like he has the ability to play at this level. Another in-state player formerly on the roster started an amazing amount of games given his level of talent. He has a grand total of two east coast players on the roster (McBrayer and Washington). I'm not sure what you mean by "cheats" and I don't really care because you seem to have a head full of nonsense.

Having said all of that, I do wish we had gone harder after McKinley Wright who appears to be tearing it up for Colorado.

No nonsense here, bud.

Wright is an excellent and high character player who desperately wanted to commit to gophers, but Pitino screwed him over for Washington. How did Washington end up with the Gophers? Not because of Pitino’s awesome recruiting prowess, I’ll leave it at that....

Let’s take a look a Richard’s recent in state recruiting record:

In state recruit wins:
Coffey (legacy)

In state recruit losses (granted some were long shots, but food for thought):
Jones
Jones
Travis
Vaughn
Trent Jr.
Wright
Sims
Davison
Ruevers
Thompson
John

Every single player on this list is better than:
Harris
Fitzgerald
Konate
Gas
Stockman

Breathe people, breathe. Arizona went from No. 2 or 3 in the country to unranked after 3 straight losses. I'd rather take these lumps now than in February. Win the last 4 non-conference games and you're 12-3 heading to the gauntlet with a winnable Big 10 start against Illinois and Indiana at The Barn.

No nonsense here, bud.

Wright is an excellent and high character player who desperately wanted to commit to gophers, but Pitino screwed him over for Washington. How did Washington end up with the Gophers? Not because of Pitino’s awesome recruiting prowess, I’ll leave it at that....

Let’s take a look a Richard’s recent in state recruiting record:

In state recruit wins:
Coffey (legacy)

In state recruit losses (granted some were long shots, but food for thought):
Jones
Jones
Travis
Vaughn
Trent Jr.
Wright
Sims
Davison
Ruevers
Thompson
John

Harris
Fitzgerald
Konate
Gas
Stockman
Wright is a guy I'd love on this team but he had plenty of time to commit and yes he wanted to be here but he waited around and Washington grabbed the spot before him something recruits should remember in the future. Washington has a lot of potential and will continue to get better.
In State recruiting wins:
Coffey
Hurt
Johnson
Oturu
Omersa
Kalscheur

In state recruit losses
Jones
Jones
Travis
Vaughn
Sims
John

In state recruits that went elsewhere that were offered but weren't really pursued
Trent Jr(had offer but knew he was going elsewhere didn't waste time)
Wright(pursued but waited too long to commit and scholarship was filled)
Davison(hadn't been pursued, gave a late offer because he deserved it even though everyone knew he would be committing to Wisconsin soon after)
Reuvers(John and Sims were both higher priority and Gophers didn't spend much time on him)
Thompson(Omersa became the priority, Race reclassified Gophers didn't have a spot anyway)

Harris(freshman has barely played will be a solid role guy during his career here)
Fitzgerald(just hasn't ever got back to his pre injuries self, not convinced he ends up with the Gophers again next year)
Konate(role guy can play a few solid defensive minutes but never really developed much)
Gas(never really developed at all, good teamate)
Stockman(hasn't played a game for us, will be a solid big and give Oturu some time to adjust to the college game next year)

Top Bottom