What Happened to this Team?

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
The bench is worse than last year, but the starters play zero defense. Lynch can block shots, but he is a massive liability because he is over aggressive.

Where did the defense go?

They laid two eggs this week. GH freaked and declared the season over. I guess we should close the board down.

In the matter of a week, this team has gone from so fun to watch to a team that is really frustrating to watch.

I hope we figure it out quickly as this can still be a special season.

Go Gophers!!

In the matter of a week, this team has gone from so fun to watch to a team that is really frustrating to watch.

Go Gophers!!

Andersen out coached pitino tonight. And Hogs have better talent and athletes.

Counterpoint: what have we done once we established that we didn’t stink early last year besides beat bubble Big 10 teams? Some nice road wins but it appears that losing Springs and Curry has cancelled out the improvement of Murphy.

Front court has 0 skill. Happ or Nick ward make them look foolish

Lynch and Murphy have enough to beat bad teams, but guys like Konate, Curry, Fitzgerald, Gaston have 0 skill to do anything but make open gimmes.

We are extremely thin. That has been exposed now. Fitzgerald is playing scared and is short-arming shots. Hurt is just not able to score yet. IW is playing better.

But in 2 of our 3 losses, we've seen what happens when a starter is out. Dupree against Miami. Now Lynch was basically out the meat of the game tonight.

At this point, we don't have a bench to step up. Hopefully over the next 4 non-conference games, we can gain our confidence back and get them some minutes. Still can have a great season!

The bench is the issue. Diedhou played decently. He should play over Konate going forward. Washington is playing better since the Miami game. Why is Harris not getting any minutes, Richard? Hurt just needs to grow a pair and take a shot or go to the rim once in a while. Fitzgerald, I don't know what to say. We miss Curry badly.

look what happened to a lot of highly ranked teams - Arizona, Purdue, floriida all had multiple losses - we need to improve the bench during this next 6 game home stand - they need to work on defense - our starting 5 is solid, we just need the bench to stttep up

We are extremely thin. That has been exposed now. Fitzgerald is playing scared and is short-arming shots. Hurt is just not able to score yet. IW is playing better.

But in 2 of our 3 losses, we've seen what happens when a starter is out. Dupree against Miami. Now Lynch was basically out the meat of the game tonight.

At this point, we don't have a bench to step up. Hopefully over the next 4 non-conference games, we can gain our confidence back and get them some minutes. Still can have a great season!

Lynch playing more would not have mattered tonight, imo.

The bench is the issue. Diedhou played decently. He should play over Konate going forward. Washington is playing better since the Miami game. Why is Harris not getting any minutes, Richard? Hurt just needs to grow a pair and take a shot or go to the rim once in a while. Fitzgerald, I don't know what to say. We miss Curry badly.

Gas looked fine to me. Other than the misses layup opportunity from Mason he did well.

Front court has 0 skill. Happ or Nick ward make them look foolish

Lynch and Murphy have enough to beat bad teams, but guys like Konate, Curry, Fitzgerald, Gaston have 0 skill to do anything but make open gimmes.

You are going to put Curry in with those other names? Our team would look extremely different with Curry on the court. Its funny listening to some posters take after a loss..

Gas looked fine to me. Other than the misses layup opportunity from Mason he did well.

I agree, Gaston was one of the few that looked like he was playing with effort. There isn't much difference between Konate and Gas

Go Gophers!!
The coach has lost control of the team or he just can't coach or the team doesn't want to play defense or we can't recruit big men or the sky is falling because we were ranked 15th and now we will be lucky to be in the Top twenty-five.

Merry Christmas.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The are now used to playing against three players. Going against five is too hard.

You are going to put Curry in with those other names? Our team would look extremely different with Curry on the court. Its funny listening to some posters take after a loss..

In terms of giving Pitino an excuse I agree. I’m not mad at what the season looks like it is heading toward because of this.

However, this seemed to be “the year” and with that injury we are suddenly an 8 seed that isn’t in striking range of the Conference as opposed to a 2 or 3 seed in reach of MSU.

We should be deeper next year but I’m not sure we’ll be better. I’d have been ok with that if we got an elite year this year.

In terms of giving Pitino an excuse I agree. I’m not mad at what the season looks like it is heading toward because of this.

However, this seemed to be “the year” and with that injury we are suddenly an 8 seed that isn’t in striking range of the Conference as opposed to a 2 or 3 seed in reach of MSU.

We should be deeper next year but I’m not sure we’ll be better. I’d have been ok with that if we got an elite year this year.

I still think we will be in the top 3 of the B1G when its all said and done. The only change I have from the start of the year is that Purdue might be a little better than us right now. The biggest problem with this Gophers team is defense (Which we have all the pieces to turn that around)

Another problem is the lack of someone stepping up on the offensive side, other than Mason and Murph. People have talked about Washingtons bat shot selection, but Dupree has looked equally as bad since returning from his leg injury. One of Washington/Coffey/McBrayer need to step up and make shots, if not it is going to be hard to sustain runs.

There is a long ways to go and the season is basically over nonsense is plain stupid. Sure the same thing happened after the 5 game conference losing streak last year and all the sky is falling posters went away during the 8 game conference win streak. Same posters will go away once again as we get further into the season.

I still think we will be in the top 3 of the B1G when its all said and done. The only change I have from the start of the year is that Purdue might be a little better than us right now. The biggest problem with this Gophers team is defense (Which we have all the pieces to turn that around)

Another problem is the lack of someone stepping up on the offensive side, other than Mason and Murph. People have talked about Washingtons bat shot selection, but Dupree has looked equally as bad since returning from his leg injury. One of Washington/Coffey/McBrayer need to step up and make shots, if not it is going to be hard to sustain runs.

I agree with top 3 in the BIG because the rest of the conference stinks.

However, we won’t be near MSU in the race and we will get a pretty low NCAA seed unless we win 13 or 14 BIG games because there won’t be many staple wins. 8 seed may have been an exaggeration but it won’t be one where sweet 16 is expected (of course, we could still easily go).

There is a long ways to go and the season is basically over nonsense is plain stupid. Sure the same thing happened after the 5 game conference losing streak last year and all the sky is falling posters went away during the 8 game conference win streak. Same posters will go away once again as we get further into the season.

Season is not over by any means but we need to not mess at all up to get a good tournament seed. Maybe I’m overreacting but Providence looking not great and not many big time BIG wins available we need to win a lot more games.

By no means is the season over. We will likely make the tournament and have a nice standing in the BIG. I can’t complain after where we stood 2 years ago.

Season is not over by any means but we need to not mess at all up to get a good tournament seed. Maybe I’m overreacting but Providence looking not great and not many big time BIG wins available we need to win a lot more games.

By no means is the season over. We will likely make the tournament and have a nice standing in the BIG. I can’t complain after where we stood 2 years ago.

Yes it is beneficial to get as good as possible seed you can in the tourney. However, that high seed didn't help them much last year.

They need someone besides Washington on the bench to give them something. Not sure why Harris hasn't played but Hurt and Fitz have gave them nothing recently.

The biggest problem is the defense. They need to figure that out.

The meltdown after this game is completely warranted. The starters came out and gave up a layup line and a string of practice jumpers to open the game. Last years team was blown out twice all season: @MSU and @Wisconsin. The Wisconsin game they were leading at halftime, so that was one half of poor play. This is now two terrible efforts in a row for entire games @Nebraska and @Arkansas. I wasn't counting on a win today, but I am beyond disappointed that they weren't competitive. I guess the upside is this team and Coach Pitino won't have to worry about that terrible burden of being ranked anymore.

Yes it is beneficial to get as good as possible seed you can in the tourney. However, that high seed didn't help them much last year.

They need someone besides Washington on the bench to give them something. Not sure why Harris hasn't played but Hurt and Fitz have gave them nothing recently.

The biggest problem is the defense. They need to figure that out.

Plenty of time to figure things out, I agree. I’m just saying it doesn’t look like we have the depth to beat more than 1 good team in a row.

Razorbacks start out on fire from the 3 point line, many contested, and stay on fire later in game when we go to the zone. Lynch is too stupid to stay out of foul trouble early which turns into a lay-up contest after he goes to the bench, we go to zone to stem the lay-up string a little, but the Razorbacks stay hot from the outside. Game over.

This whole scenario is eerily familiar to last year. Lynch foul trouble early = easy layups for other team = we pack the inside = other team shoots high percentage jump shots all game long.

This team cannot play from behind because they can’t stop anyone. Unless we flat out outscore another team, it’s not happening because this team has zero defensive identity.

Top Bottom