Defensive identity

Thymanst

Reaction score
Last year we beat teams with defense and kept them to low field goal percentages. This year it seems they want to out score everyone and they don’t have the same defensive intensity. Three point fg percentage seems to be way up against us. Does anyone have the stats to show this? We are scoring 12 points more a game, but it seems to be coming with a cost.

The Gophers don't play defense this year. Right now, they don't belong in the tournament.

I was praising them a week ago, but they have major problems that will hold thrm back.

They're simply just not working hard on defense.

We look like a 7-9 win Big Ten team. NIT is calling.

You guys are clowns. This team will still go dancing. Les we forget they lost five in a row last year. Pitino will have them up to snuff

You guys are clowns. This team will still go dancing. Les we forget they lost five in a row last year. Pitino will have them up to snuff

Nobody that is logical is saying this team won't go dancing imo. I am confident we make the tourney but we could be a special team if we would just play hard on defense.

Nobody that is logical is saying this team won't go dancing imo. I am confident we make the tourney but we could be a special team if we would just play hard on defense.

Not that simple. Arkansas is showing what better talent/athletes can do. Do you see the difference?

Team doesn’t have a defensive identity.

Not that simple. Arkansas is showing what better talent/athletes can do. Do you see the difference?

Ehh, they might be more athletic but I was at the Arkansas game last year and I saw in person what a motivated Minnesota team can do when they are playing hard on defense and not expecting a win to just fall in their lap. We dominated last year with effort and that effort just has not been there this year.

They are much more athletic and have more talent, imo. And Andersen has coached them well.

+1....I really have no idea what Pitino does as a coach....Same glaring mistakes happen every game and no adjustment is made

Like the Providence game when they turned the game into a blowout? No adjustments made there, right?

13-38 since 2013 when giving up 75 or more against power conference teams. This team can win the conference if they defense. They should win 30 games against what amounts to a really soft schedule. We have more rebounds, assists and 17 more free throws, less turnovers and lose by 16 ! That is as bad as defense gets by efficiency.

+1....I really have no idea what Pitino does as a coach....Same glaring mistakes happen every game and no adjustment is made
Well, Pitino is really into examining his tie during the game, so there is that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Cherry pick one game against a Providence team that just lost to a HORRIBlE Umass team............

You're the one constantly using hyberbole in ever post. Don't get mad at me for pointing out the things you say that are incorrect.

13-38 since 2013 when giving up 75 or more against power conference teams. This team can win the conference if they defense. They should win 30 games against what amounts to a really soft schedule. We have more rebounds, assists and 17 more free throws, less turnovers and lose by 16 ! That is as bad as defense gets by efficiency.

You expected them to go 30-1?

They need more effort on D. Jogging back won't cut it. The shot blocking has covered over some warts as far as the D goes. Lots of easy baskets given up. The team thinks they are good enough to win with average to poor effort.
Last year they had something to prove and played like it. This year they seem to be going through the motions. Somebody need to give them a kick in the behind.

Hey guys when bemidjigopher says a thread is over, it is over.

It really bothers him to have people talk about things he doesn't like, so let's just cut it out okay?

They had 23 assists and Gophers had 10.
They had 9 turnovers and Gophers had 10.

Thank you for correcting my errors. Now address the part of horrific defense.

Embracing being a grind it out defensive team is about the only way I can see this turn things around and meet expectations this year. I don't think the mentality has been the same this year and it appears like the team believes that they can win at a high level on offensive skill. It's pretty clear that this team doesn't have the offensive skill to win games against good teams played in the 80's or 90's: there's not enough depth and there's not enough outside shooting. What they can do is win games by played in the 60's or 70's, especially if they continue their one positive trait this season of getting in the bonus early and often. To do that, we've go to see the defense we saw last year. The guards have to do a better job of staying in front of guys and the entire team needs work on defending the pick and roll. The other issue that hasn't killed this team as much as it could have is that they are doing a terrible job of preventing open looks from 3. That's a lot of issues to fix, but it will start with playing with that edge we saw last season. Getting more defensive stops will also help the offense as it will not have to face a set defense as frequently.

Top Bottom