Pioneer Press: Gophers basketball finding life was easier before expectations

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chad:

Early-season rankings can be such a distraction, Pitino said, that he would prefer teams not be ranked until “late January.” He pointed out that the college football ranking used to determine the four playoffs teams aren’t revealed until eight weeks into the season — though media and coaches poll run all season long, just like for basketball.

“Rankings are great for your fans,” he said. “But in my ideal world, it would almost be like the college football playoff — don’t unveil the rankings until, like, late January. And there are all these preseason awards. A guy called me yesterday and said, ‘I’ve got Jordan Murphy second for my national player of the year award.’ What the hell is that? We’ve played 10 games.”

The Gophers’ game Saturday at Arkansas (6-2) is their toughest remaining nonconference game, and provides a chance to boost their resume for a potential NCAA tournament appearance.

Arkansas’ ratings percentage index, a metric the selection committee uses to seed teams, currently is No. 14 in the country, higher than any other Minnesota foe this season.

“If they listen and learn, it will be really beneficial,” Pitino said of his team’s tough nonconference schedule. “But you’ve got to win some of the games. Fortunately we got that Providence win and Alabama, and if we can get a win at Arkansas, that would be phenomenal. But we’ve got to be playing our best basketball in late January, early February. If we listen and learn and grow, it will be good for us.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/12/08/gophers-basketball-finding-life-was-easier-before-expectations/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom