End the 9 game conference schedule

You're thinking like a fan, not like a university president.

It's highly, highly unlikely that the Pac-12 would be interested in Kansas State or Baylor. Likewise the ACC in Iowa State.

You also need to think of in-state politics. Oklahoma/Oklahoma State won't be split up. Neither will Kansas/Kansas State.

I agree with that. For most of those I basically just put them in a conference because I had to. (Cause I said I was going under the assumption that all of them would stay in a power conference which might not be the case.) I don't think anyone really wants Kansas St, Baylor, or Texas Tech. Or even Kansas to an extent.

I could also see the Pac12 ending up with the big prizes, but then I don't think the other conferences would want the leftovers.

Pac12 - Texas/Oklahoma/OK St/Texas Tech
SEC - TCU/West Virginia
ACC - Kansas/KState or Iowa St/Baylor
B1G - Iowa St/Baylor or Kansas/KState

I don't know if the B1G or the ACC would be particularly happy with that. None of the schools that I put for them are particularly enticing. I guess Baylor would open up the Texas TV market for the ACC or B1G, but then you also are inviting in the cloud of the football scandal.

The obvious fit for Iowa St is the B1G, but they don't add anything TV-wise and I don't know how Iowa would feel about another Iowa school joining the B1G.

The Kansas/KState duo doesn't really open up much in terms of TV markets. About the only draw there is Kansas basketball. If they have to come as a package deal I don't know if anyone would want them.

Beyond Texas and Oklahoma there aren't any real prizes to be had.

How about 4 4-team divisions when expansion to 16 comes? The only games that would be played every year would be the 3 in your division. Then you would play 2 teams from the other three divisions home & home. In 4 years you would host everyone once.

How about 4 4-team divisions when expansion to 16 comes? The only games that would be played every year would be the 3 in your division. Then you would play 2 teams from the other three divisions home & home. In 4 years you would host everyone once.

The new big 12 championship model makes this possible

No way big ten expands to 16 without at least one major power (Texas, Oklahoma, Notre Dame). Otherwise you are cutting the pie without making it bigger.

Rutgers and Maryland made the pie bigger. That was due to new markets for BTN cable fees.

Not saying the same will happen again, especially in the age of cord cutting, but there would be other factors in play. Particularly in Iowa, if it comes to the Cyclones potentially getting left without a dance partner.

Rutgers and Maryland made the pie bigger. That was due to new markets for BTN cable fees.

Not saying the same will happen again, especially in the age of cord cutting, but there would be other factors in play. Particularly in Iowa, if it comes to the Cyclones potentially getting left without a dance partner.

No question they made pie bigger.

There are some others out there who could beside the three I listed.
Virginia or Virginia Tech
Florida State
North Carolina

None of those are possible. They're legally bound to the ACC under lock and key. Nor I think are any interested in leaving.

The ones that will come up for grabs first, if it ever gets to that, would be the Big 12 teams, in a few more years.

With all of the talk of OSU v. Alabama v. USC for the fourth position in the CFP, I’m shocked that the 9 v. 8 debate hasn’t been more prevalent. If the B1G and the Pac12 play 8 conference games and the SEC plays 9, there would be almost no chance that Alabama is the 4 seed. It would have been Ohio State or USC.

The B1G ness to drop the ninth game for 2018 and immediately replace those 7 games with 14 games against FCS cupcakes.

They can't do that, legally.

They've signed contracts with ESPN and FOX to provide X number of conference games to broadcast on TV. The TV networks don't want cupcake games. They're worthless.

Top Bottom